RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Ziroli DC-3 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/1136542-ziroli-dc-3-a.html)

SteveD-RCU 11-01-2004 04:49 PM

RE: Ziroli DC-3

Hi Fred; The pilots are from Ziroli and the cockpit is scratchbuilt.I downloaded a panel off the net and started from that,there's a ton of cockpit pictures on the net.There is a kit available out there.Dynamic Balsa has a kit. http://www.dbalsa.com/
..I made mine out of wood and plastic odds and ends.

SteveD-RCU 11-10-2004 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started some sheeting after I installed my seperate tail wheel servo and nyrod setup.Its a mg high torque servo and I mounted it beside the others on the forward tray.Also installed the dorsal fin and the ply wing fillet bottoms,then decided to see how she sits on the centre section.She needed a bit of adjustment but went together just fine.Got to install the centre wing mounting blocks tomorrow,then I'll do some more sheeting.

jonstotz 11-16-2004 08:49 PM

Thank you guys for all the pictures.. my wood is coming next week for my dc3. Thanks again Jon

SteveD-RCU 11-17-2004 05:08 PM

Good luck Jon;And keep us posted with your progress..Steve

SteveD-RCU 11-21-2004 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to go ahead with a cargo door,so I cut that out and started the wing fillets.

SteveD-RCU 11-21-2004 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Bondo to fill the front section of the fillet and sheeted the rest.Now to the other side to finish that ,and then back to the cargo door.

SteveD-RCU 11-23-2004 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished the fillet trailing edge section.Lots to sand yet.I also have some more sheeting to do around the tail section ...

justrfb 11-24-2004 06:11 AM

Nice work! I watching for every update with anticipation and amazement...

jonstotz 11-26-2004 04:12 PM

Hi Steve looking good the little brown truck brought mine yesterday. I'm not sure what to start on???Any sugestions Thants Jon

SteveD-RCU 11-26-2004 05:36 PM

I built tail section first,then I went to the outer wing panels,centre section,and then the fuse.

SteveD-RCU 11-28-2004 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still considering the radial engine option.The Saito 170 's valve covers would protrude through the cowl 1/8 " or so,not really too much.I'm also thinking I may redesign the cowls to completely cover the engine valve covers.I know there is a lot of pros and cons on this.What do you all think? There just happens to be a S170 auction in the marketplace forum and I may place a bid .

William Robison 11-28-2004 11:36 AM

Steve:

Go for it. Nobody will ever notice such a slight error in the cowling size.

And think of the sound!

Bill.

SteveD-RCU 11-28-2004 11:59 AM

Ah yes the sound would be awesome,less vibration..sure there's higher fuel costs but who cares.Thanks for your input Bill

jonstotz 11-28-2004 08:15 PM

I would like to ask a stupid question,why do only three of the stab ribs have tabs???I don't see any reason or way to build like this. Thanks Jon

SteveD-RCU 11-28-2004 09:06 PM

I guess Nick figured every other rib didn't need tabs.You could add some blocking if you want.

jonstotz 12-04-2004 02:46 PM

Could somebody please post some pictures of the elevator Thanks Jon

SteveD-RCU 12-09-2004 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had some shots of the elevator posted earlier but I guess you need some detailed pics?Unfortunatly mine are now covered.Look at my earlier posts and there are some pics there.
I've decided to stick with the US 41's for now because they have more power basically for the shorter field takeoffs(our field is only around 350' with another 50'- 100' being considered to add on.I sure hope we can get that done soon).
I just finished the forward lower fillets at the fuse wing joint.I also finished up the bottem sheeting.Right now I'm just doing a lot of sanding on the bottom side.I also am fitting the cowls and dummy engines etc.

SteveD-RCU 12-18-2004 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the horizontal stab fairings using 1/8 sheet top and bottom

jonstotz 12-18-2004 07:43 PM

Hi Steve she's looking real nice.I have my tail feathers all done,hope to start center section tomarrow thanks for the posts. Jon

SteveD-RCU 12-18-2004 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got at the cargo doors doing the aft door first,I built the door frame conforming it to the fuse and tacked it in position until it was sheeted with 1/8"balsa.Then I removed it and added Robart hinges which I'm using because I have nothing else at the moment.I'll replace these hinges with those butt hinges or something similar when they come in.Tower has them backorderd .
The front door holds the back door closed when its latched.Still some tweaking to do here once I get some better hinges.Till then I'll work on the nose.

smokebox12000 12-22-2004 04:50 PM

Hi
Just to say hello, I am Paul from the Uk
and i shall be starting the DC-3 next month
as we now have a retailer here that does the
Zirolli plans I am looking forward to starting
this beautiful aircraft. Here's to the future
and a Happy Christmas to you all.

SteveD-RCU 12-22-2004 04:59 PM

Hi Paul;Looking forward to hearing of your progress with your DC-3.Happy Holidays to all you DC-3 fans and everyone else...

smokebox12000 01-01-2005 05:31 PM

Hi
Paul from the UK, Hope you had a great
Christmas and all the best for the new year.
I have read every post about the DC-3 and
I have decided to go with the US41s for the
power plants with a central fuel tank 50oz
I believe, what i wanted to ask by way of a favour would it be possible for you to send me a
list of all the servos you used in your DC-3
EG. HITECH HS700 would be very grateful if
you could do this either through these pages
or via email
Thanks Paul

SteveD-RCU 01-01-2005 09:17 PM

Hi paul; I used 2 1/4 scale Hi-Tec 700's on the elevators,1 645 MG on the rudder (pull pull),2 645 MG's on the ailerons,2 605BB's for the flaps,1 Tower MG Hi- Torque for the tail wheel , and I Fut mini for the retract valve,all on 6 volts.Right now I'm working on the glass install for the cabin and will then glue it to the fuse.

smokebox12000 01-02-2005 06:07 AM

Hi Steve
Thanks very much for the info,
I am buying bits while i am waiting for the plans
to arrive, and also there are no kit cutters in
the UK so it will be back to the bandsaw for me.
Wish you well with the nose section and keep up the good work.
Thanks again
Paul