RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Seagull's "Dual Ace" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/3664845-seagulls-%22dual-ace%22.html)

Gouch 08-21-2009 06:38 AM

RE: Seagull's

Hey nice plane mister Paul, but how good is that photographer? :)

pc55bomber 08-21-2009 07:24 AM

Gouch

He's good mate.... its late , go and clean your lenses ready for tomorrows action.;)
Cheers
Paul

Prop_Washer2 09-23-2009 02:44 PM

U have a DA NIB just waiting for room to build. 21 ARF's NIB are still waiting as well...ARGH! What a problem to have. The Twin-Star was built by a club member, just needs setup and a reciever installed.

helichong 11-25-2009 10:14 PM

I bought one DA and I am planning to build it with 4C engines. Has anyone tried ASP 61's?
I live in Mexico City (7200 feet high) so a lot of spare engine is required.

Thanks

drifter 11-26-2009 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: helichong

I bought one DA and I am planning to build it with 4C engines. Has anyone tried ASP 61's?
I live in Mexico City (7200 feet high) so a lot of spare engine is required.

Thanks

I have two ASP 61s (2 cycle) in mine. Overpowered. Are the 4Cs comparable?
Mine is the only one I have heard of that's nose heavy. Had to add some tail weight.

BUCKAROO 11-26-2009 12:09 PM

I have 2 ASP 61 4strokes in mine - have well over 50 flights -some in Johannesburg which is over 5000ft ASL. They are wonderul engines and very reliable so I fly mostly low level.

Plenty of power so you should have no problem - in fact 2 weeks ago whilst flying in Bloemfontein - also over 5000ft ASL- through my fault I lost an engine ( lost cowl cover and fuel tank moved when I rolled) and was able to fly almost a full circuit maintaining altitude on one engine before landing.

helichong 11-26-2009 04:23 PM

Buckaroo, that is a great notice. I will keep it in mine. Meanwhile, would you please tell me what props and how much nitro are you using in your engines?

Also, if it is possible to know how much your DA weights.

Did you build it stock?

Regards

helichong 11-26-2009 04:27 PM

drifter, it looks like a neat installation. I think the engines are a little too much for this plane, that is the reason I am considering the four strokes engines.

How much does your plane weight?

Regards

BUCKAROO 11-27-2009 06:25 AM

Will check it out and let you know - it is stock even down to the wheels and I fly no problem off grass.

moodier 12-08-2009 09:13 PM

HI;Looks like you fellows musthave tried ev erything with the DA's.I picked up a partiallly built one at swap and wondering about engines.I boughta pair of OS 32SXs for anothere planebut they are just sitting unused at the moment!!I knowthey seem to use lotof 40s butthese little OSs are supposed tobe pretty hot.Just wondering what people think of them for this ship.I have other engines availble,couple of OS 70s and several OS 46FX but kind of thought these little 32 might be neat in it??Any thoughts?Thanks !

Sandmann_AU 12-09-2009 02:19 AM

I fly mine with a pair of Super Tigre 40's, and I would say that's the smallest engines I'd like to fly it with. Yes you might be able to get it airborne and putt around the sky with a pair of 32's but you'll have no reserve. As I recall this plane was designed to take 40-46 size engines... it's not so bad to go slightly over the recommended size, but I would hesitate to go under it. Even with the 40's you're looking at scale take-offs with lots of run up time to get to speed.

moodier 12-09-2009 07:39 AM

Thanks Sandman!Well it was a thought they are kind ofcute little engines and apparently develop pretty good power but I have a nice pair of 46FXs sitting there doing nothing.Think will putthem in old trainer to set up but guess they are a better alternative.No use risking a nice looking plane on being underpowered!!Thanks for the reply!!

Sandmann_AU 12-09-2009 08:09 AM

Before I bought my DA I decided I needed a "practice twin". I had an old, retired, (and quite beat-up) 60 size trainer and a pair of .40 engines (the ones I now use in my DA). I covered the original engine mount area, made a pair of nacelles from ply for the engines & tanks, took a section of leading edge out of each wing and mounted a nacelle between two ribs, and replaced the standard rudder with an oversize one. I made sure both engines were "toe out" slightly and measured it all by eye, and took to the air. It made it beautifully round one lap of the field till I decided to "twiddle" the oversize rudder at which point the entire vertical stab collapsed and the plane dived for the ground. Wish I'd thought to take a photo of it, ugly as it was. The original plane was called a "Boomerang 60"... I was gonna call my Frankenstein creation either a "Two-merang" or a "Bi-merang". :)

If you happen to have an old 40 size trainer or similar that you're no longer using, I can think of a great place to put those .32's! Just leave the rudder alone, and take photos of it before you maiden it! :D

JoeMamma 12-09-2009 08:34 AM

I had a pair of slightly used OS 52 4-strokes on hand for mine. This was my first twin with 4-strokes.

The great sound of a pair of 4-strokes running in unison is incredible !

I have other twin powered planes, but this is my first twin that I have no fear of loosing an engine in flight.

I remember on one occasion loosing an engine, but with four other guys also flying at the same time, I didn't hear the engine quit.

All I noticed was a slight turn into the dead engine. I then brought her in close to verify my dead engine. Sure enough, got a dead one ! Then I thought, what the heck, I'll try to keep her in the air and made a few more passes. I had to trim in a bunch of rudder, but she still flew. Landing was also fairly easy.

The only problem I had was attempting to taxi back to the gate. All she wanted to do was go in circles.

I'm no aerodynamics engineer, but there is something in the design that makes the DA fly easily with one engine out........maybe outward engine thrust ??

Joe M.

Yakflyer 12-09-2009 10:27 AM

I have a pair of TT Pro 46s w/Mac's Tuned pipes, using 10x8 props. Talking about knee knocking speeds! Whoa!
Did I mention retracts too?
I have about 12 flights on mine so far. One flight my port side engine went out. It took a slow fly by to confirm it with some rudder input.
Other than that she flew great and landed with no problems.
My regular club field is very small surrouded by pine trees (plane eaters). I like to fly my DA at a bigger field like Mac Hodges in Andersonvill GA.
Lots of blue sky at his field with very few plane eaters.

kiosk 12-09-2009 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Then I thought, what the heck, I'll try to keep her in the air and made a few more passes. I had to trim in a bunch of rudder, but she still flew. Landing was also fairly easy.

try a go around after an aborted landing on one engine.....bet you wont think the same!

Yakflyer 12-09-2009 11:03 AM

Well, I knew enough not to turn into the opposite side of the engine out. Had a previous dual engine ugly stick.
She flew fine as long as I kept the air speed up.

Prairie Mike 12-09-2009 05:19 PM

Actually, a single engine go-around can be done successfully. I have done so. Even took off single engined with a twinstar.
You've got to be aware of a thing called minimnum single engine control speed. Go below it and you cannot keep it from crashing. Can't save it in any way or fashion.
Stay above it and you CAN turn into the dead engine.......... I've done it several times.
BUT,
and it is important...... You've got to keep your speed up and ABOVE minimum single engine control speed.

For some reason most twin pilots don't mention this important speed...... not sure why. But stay below it and your aircraft is dead when you lose an engine. You can throw any amount of control input and it won't help.............. It's dead, just looking for a hole to fill.
It'll fly fine at that airspeed with both engines, but it not with an engine out.
Just my 2 cents worth.

kiosk 12-09-2009 06:01 PM

it can be done but not sure on this bird, also depends on wind conditions and other factors also, the dual ace just aint got a big enough rudder to counter torque at low airspeed of (a rather overpowered, in my case!!!) single engine and a x-wind on same side adding to it...survival chances are slim, at best, regardless of pilot skills, laws of physics take over

moodier 12-10-2009 09:26 AM

Well I have an extra Twinstar in the box yet maybe a better place for the 32s.Was also thinking have a OS 52 and a Mag 52 4 strokes they look identical the way those companies are figure mayb are same but not sure about mixing engines like thatSomeone a while ago did that 2 totally different engines said really plane didn't seem to know the difference!!Guess best stick to the OS 46s although so far not having good luck have one in old trainer to set up and see how runs so far 2 deadsticks but rather on a $50 trainer than a good plane!46s usually run well just need tuning never know where these old swap meet engnes have been!Have several others to try if no luck with this one!The other place for them might be a Top Flite DC-3 that is parked in my garage but again maybe that to big for them too?The previous owner had 40s in it too but thought the 32s could handle it!Fly safe!!

Gizmo-RCU 12-10-2009 09:10 PM

I have a pair of the older OS 32 fs. on my twinstar. 14,000 plus on 9x7s runs like striped a.. ape if you get the drift. Light and powerful and lots of fun if you stay inside the 5 min. rule, land at 5 mins if you are using the standard fuel tanks.
Do yourself a favor and re-cover the twinstar before you put it together, great flyer junk covering that will come off with almost no effort. Trust me it is JUNK.
Keep us posted

TED 1 12-11-2009 07:23 PM

I have 2 DAs and have been flying them for about 2 1/2 years. Probably close to 300-350 flights between the 2 of them.

One has OS-LA46s and the other has OS 52 four strokes. Both fly it well, however the 52s seem to be the perfect engines for it. Lot more pulling power. I run 11/7 props on the 4 storkers and 10x6s on the 46s. I have had many comments about how good is looks, flies, etc. with the 4 strokers. Engine outs are not a big deal but I would not attempt a go around after an aborted landing. With one engine you better get it right. I have not done a thing to the nose wheel, mine is totally stock and no troubles with it. I do fly off a 350 foot asphalt strip.

jephry 12-20-2009 09:53 AM

Hi all,
My DA had crash a years back due to the right engine quitting and I can't get enough of a Twin, so I rebuilt a New ARF and had it maiden 0n 19 Dec and had the left engine quit on me.
Luckily the Saito 72 had enough power to pull it back with rudder and aileron compensation!

Here is my setup:

Engine: 2x Saito 72 with onboard Glow
Prop: 2x MAS 12x8 3 Blade
Servos: JR 539 Thru

Power is more than enough for this setup

Just thinking of modifying retracts & flaps on the babe! Has anyone done a scale cockpit & lighting system for this plane?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...A/77bbcac9.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...A/7d3471e5.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...A/e301a00c.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...A/501501a6.jpg

dbkvn 12-20-2009 03:00 PM

At our "airshow" this summer, one of the pilots had a DA with OS .91's, flaps, retracts...What a SCREAMER...14+ pounds, but a very stable plane...Kevin in Denver

Sandmann_AU 12-20-2009 04:22 PM

How would you put flaps on a DA without cutting down the ailerons? More so, why would you bother when it's such a floater?