RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Seagull's "Dual Ace" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/3664845-seagulls-%22dual-ace%22.html)

schulze rocks 04-16-2012 02:54 AM

RE: Seagull's

Hi Troops,
I am amazed that this thread is still going but that just goes to show that you can't keep a good bird down. I have had my DA Electric conversion flying for the past three years now and just love it. This plane has been going through a continuous process of change from day one and is nearing the final stage. First change was to fit retracts but as my batteries are in the fuselage, the nose gear had to retract forward and the stock nose was a little short for this leaving the wheel exposed. This gave rise to a new name - Snoopy. So the lower forward section of the fuselage was made deeper and 30mm longer fiber glass nose was moulded to suit. The stock canopy shape also bugged me so all the glazing was removed, the side window ports filled in and a longer shallower wind screen was strip planked into place (bugger of a job). The new canopy shape had the windows painted on to give the look of a side by side two seater. The lower nacells had the rear sections cut off to allow for engine cooling air exit and plus they were moulded so bad the back section sat off the wing surface by about 15mm.
The next modification that is planned is to fit a 'T' tail. I will post some images of my DA in a day or so and for all the people that say it's a shame that it doesn't have real motors, it always gets a comment of "That model flies great and sounds bloody AWSOME".

Setup
2 x Eflite Power 46
2 x Dualsky XC60 ESC
2 x Dualsky XP4000 5s LiPo run in parallel
APC 12x8E props LH and RH
Spring air retracts

Quigleywins 04-16-2012 05:35 AM

schulze rocks well hi from the next state If you want a new DA ,one of the LHS has one still on the shelf. I just found one, which is now in my shed, in Albury Its well on its way to being finished. As for this thread it had been asleep for a while so I draged it back to life. and its been running well since. I for one would like to see your photo .Yours _Paul T

JoeMamma 04-16-2012 05:42 AM

Glad to see there is still interest in the DA !:D

It's been my favorite twin to fly.

Joe M.

schulze rocks 04-17-2012 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Troops,
Here are some images of my DA and like I said it is a work in progress so I will be intertested in your comments both positive or negative.
Hi Paul, I was in Albury at Easter time flying at the National Electric Flight Rally, small world.

Cheers BJ

JoeMamma 04-17-2012 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: schulze rocks

Hi Troops,
Here are some images of my DA and like I said it is a work in progress so I will be intertested in your comments both positive or negative.
Hi Paul, I was in Albury at Easter time flying at the National Electric Flight Rally, small world.

Cheers BJ

Nice job BJ ![8D]

Joe M.

Quigleywins 04-18-2012 03:34 AM

schulze rocks thats one nicely finished DA. would look a treat in the air. I'll be in Albury on the 11th of May looks like a popular place. I was going to post the progress on my DA but failed to take the photo. One wing is close to finished and the motor is in the other side. No big rush.

Ichy 04-20-2012 05:32 PM

"Hi Troops,

Cheers BJ"

Got nothing but good things to say.  Nice job on the modifications!  Now come over and do mine.  It's all ready to work on.

http://youtu.be/tgFYz145nZ8

Dan

Quigleywins 04-20-2012 10:23 PM

Dan you may have warned us of the impact. Have you got a shot of the pile of Balsa. Yours Paul T

JoeMamma 04-21-2012 11:55 AM

Hi Dan,

Sorry for your loss.:(:(

I've lost an engine a number of times on my DA, but it's never gone into such a nasty spin such as yours ???

It did appear you may have turned into the dead engine and maybe didn't realize immediatley if/when you lost the right engine.

I think that's the toughest part of flying any twin..........losing an engine and immediatley realizing you have lost it and which side it's on ?

Joe M.

A6TEXAN 04-21-2012 12:00 PM

DANG HATE TO SEE THAT.
BUT WHAT A FANTASTIC FLYING SITE.

Ichy 04-22-2012 07:52 AM

Joe Mamma nailed it. I was not able to see which engine quit. I could hear it going bad when it was over the power lines. When it flew past me it was still turning. I should have just cut the throttle and let it glide around to land. Hind-sight is 20/20! But, yes, I put in the wrong rudder and it snaped into a spin. I had the plane in a spin before and recovered by cutting power and gliding until I could figure things out and fly around with rudder, just not this time.

But, believe it or not, most of the plane is intact. It landed straight down in a large ant hill (read soft dirt). The nose is gone up to the cockpit. The cockpit was not damaged. The nacelles are toast. Wings are not hurt. Wing tube is not bent. One engine was not running of course and the other had been throttled back so they are good. Since I hated the nose, cockpit and nacelles on the DA, this might be a good thing! Seeing all the great modifications on this thread might lead to a better looking plane. We will see if I have the time to rebuild this winter. I'll try to get a picture of the plane tonight and post it.

warbirdmustang 04-22-2012 05:21 PM

Guys,
I have a set of nacelles and decals for this plane left over where I modified mine. If someone canuse them, trade me something useful and I'll get them to you. Otherwise I'm throwing them in the trash.
Thanks!
Bryan

Ichy 04-23-2012 05:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not too bad.

JoeMamma 04-23-2012 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Ichy

Not too bad.

The woodwork can be redone, but I was looking at your fiberglass nacelles.....OUCH !! [X(]

Hey........you're in luck........warbirdmustang has a set of nacelles (go back a thread).:D I'd contact him pronto !

Joe M.

Ichy 04-23-2012 11:58 AM

Yeah, I saw that he posted them for sale, but when I purchased this plane, it came with an extra set.     :D

A6TEXAN 04-23-2012 12:29 PM

WBM,
dont throw them away just yet. lets talk here. what would interest you for trade ?
i have lotsa warbird stuff.

warbirdmustang 04-24-2012 03:56 AM

Just about anything would work, whatcha got? I mean, a roll of covering would be a great trade! I just want to see someone use them, and I'm mostly trying to make it worth my while taking them to the post office and looking for a box! Let me know, and we can make them yours!
Bryan

A6TEXAN 04-26-2012 10:57 AM

WBM that seems reasonable. let me check the colors i have. ill get back to you here. i think i have a full roll of mustang silver metallic.

warbirdmustang 04-26-2012 11:28 AM

Monokote on a warbird is like taking the ant christ to church! It aint a gonna happen!LOL! White is a nice color for a sport plane, I could also use some of that flor. orange stuff for a seaplane I'm scratch building, just some ideas!

foodstick 04-26-2012 06:15 PM

Warbirdmustang, I once bought a fw190 at a swap meet that was covered with metallic purple monokote ! [:'(]

Flight Risk 04-26-2012 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Warbirdmustang, I once bought a fw190 at a swap meet that was covered with metallic purple monokote ! [:'(]
Der Fuehrer would be impressed!:D

warbirdmustang 04-27-2012 02:52 AM

Stick,
I mean, I know we are among friends here, but I don't think I would tell anyone that I bought a metallic purple FW190!LOL! Did you promptly remove the covering, and dirty it up in a much needed fashion?

Quigleywins 04-28-2012 11:56 PM

I found this if some one wants one this might just do http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1642437

foodstick 04-29-2012 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It might have gotten changed a LITTLE !

I have had the plane 20 years or so, and just recently converted it to electric, I had never flown it until this year ! hahahaI had it ready 2decades ago, but it has hung at my job, my garage, the basement, now it has flown :D

A6TEXAN 05-10-2012 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
finally made some progress. had some surgery done, kinda set me back awhile.
retracts are in, bottom of wings covered. top of wings next along with fuse and canopy mods.