RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT ** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4700596-eletronic-engine-syncronizer-%2A%2Asupport-%2A%2A.html)

yl5295 02-11-2007 08:36 AM

RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

As to how to keep up with TwinSyn features they are posted in this thread.

An easier way to find out what is new is to email me at [email protected] and as me to email you the latest manual. The back of the manual has a section that list all features added in each newer software version.

You need to use the manual that cooresponds to your unit but getting a new one to see features is fine for a reference and seeing if you want to send the IC in for an upgrade (free) or buy a new IC ($15 plus shipping).

Acetronics 02-11-2007 09:19 AM

Hi, Bill

I've Edited my last post ...

You'll see why : I do not consider the hot engine will die ... as I experienced it many times.

Alain

Safebet 02-11-2007 09:53 AM

Acetronics: I am trying to understand what your point or contribution to the thread is. I can't even figure out what feature or features of the Twin Sync you are having a problem with or understanding of.

You rattle and ramble so.

Acetronics 02-11-2007 10:13 AM

Jim

It's quite simple : I try to explain Tomlee the Twinsync, except for the sound, is not TO THE DAY the best answer to a pushpull plane ...

do not know where you see "rattle and ramble" ...

Now, I do not have ANY Problem with my twinsyncS( version recognition ... if you want ! ) nor my planes ... nor had a bad wake up !!!

Capito ???

Now, I say loud and clear the Twinsync is a FANTASTIC device ... and already told Bill.

Alain

Blade47 02-11-2007 10:54 AM

My $ 0.02 worth ... I would think the 337 would benefit a lot...

1) Sync the two engines for smooth operation
2) the remote glow in cowl use( the remote glow alone is worth the price )
3) use mode 6 ..if one engine quits the unit goes off line for standard use.

Safebet 02-11-2007 12:09 PM

I would consider the Twin Sync would be as beneficial to the 337 as any other twin. I am going to purchase and install on my twin, in build, solely for the purpose of the sync.
That was what attracted me in the first place. All of the other features (especially the glo feature) are just icing on the cake. I anticipate being ready in about 30 - 45 days. I will order then so that I will have the latest version, and won't have to return for updates.

Acetronics 02-11-2007 12:54 PM

Hi, Jim

Last month we just have launched a giant 337 ( 2x 150 cc ... ) ; an older and smaller ( 2 x 50 cc ) one flies here for 2 years now.

So, I do think we have little experience about this plane ... and it's engines.

Now I respect your Thoughts and won't argue anymore, you surely have a wider experience ;)

Cheers

Alain

Blade47 02-12-2007 03:55 PM

Bill!

The manual available from RC showcase is version 1.4.3 for firmware 1.4.4 dated Dec 12th 2006 ...is this the current manual?

yl5295 02-12-2007 11:12 PM

Ace,

There are two different modes to accomodate the situation you describe (which I doubt would ever happen... If you could reproduce it and send me a video of it I would like to see it and could probably fix it). However, here is how to setup the TwinSync for a C-337.

Option 1 : Mode 2 - Independant run up mode.
In this mode of operation you can have a 3 position switch controlling which (or both) engines the stick in controlling. Center is both engines are controlled by the stick and are sync'ed. If down one engine is idled and other engine is controlled by the stick. If up the reverse where the other engine is idled and other controlled by stick.

Option 2: Mode 3 - Aux Channel defeat.
This is for a two position switch on aux channel. Up sync unit is working. Switch down the Sync unit becomes a "y" cable.

I plan on adding a mode 7 at some point which will allow seperate channels for each throttle so you can handle it in transmitter programming, curves, switches, sliders, etc for those who like to punish themselves.

The bottom line is there are going to be extreme cases where it may not do the perfect thing. Bottom line is it is better than a "Y" cable and the sound is why we all want it and I built it. Secondly, if you are flying a plane that is not stable on one engine you want matched thrust with engine problems when you may not hear the problem. I did not feel comfortable flying my C310 at a busy field without it - again why I built it.

With that said.... I crashed a 95" P-38 yesterday with it due to pilot error. Not because it didn't save me - but because I got too slow trying to make it back to the field on one engine with a tail wind rather than putting it down in the rough stuff. An engine died at full power mid field at 100' and it immediately idled the other.

I was the one that added power and tried to make it home rather than putting it down in the weeds. It did everything right. If I had designed the device to force me to deadstick, that airplane would not be in the trash can beside my house (and major damage to both engines - not a cheap crash - buy more Twinsyncs!). Maybe that should be a mode to remove the temptation to throttle up on one engine.

I guess someone could write a computer program where you enter your model, wing span, engines, loading, engine spacing, props, nitro, etc and it sets up the device. Ace - are you interested in doing that... now that would be a great contribution... (I vote for if model = P38 and one dies don't let the pilot throttle up the running engine. Force him to land where ever he can. If model = DC38 then become a "Y" cable, if model = 337 then etc. etc...).

Bill

yl5295 02-12-2007 11:34 PM

Blade,

There are newer versions but the updates are very, very minor. 1.4.2 solved 99+% of the issues. 1.4.3, 1.4.4, and 1.4.5 (just for you) were very minor tweaks of certain aspects. The latest manual still says 1.4.4 but the software is now 1.4.5.

I should add that I have also done truely custom features for some customers (mostly guys flying Ziroli planes that need specific tweaks). I am open to having a 1.4.X.JOHND and do so if there is something unusual you need. There are people out there with fully custom features running on their sync units designed just for them - at no charge - YET.

I can even make a few suggestions for scale guys:
- sync bomb drop
- gun control
- other lights and sound devices
- running lights
- different display heads and display options
- etc, etc

I am out of ideas for sport flyers (like me).

...think of the twin sync as a computer radio onboard the plane...that you can control with your radio. Just send in ideas. I have five new products getting ready or going into field testing now as a result of these two RCU threads...

The difference in 1.4.4 and 1.4.5 is that in rudder steer mode rudder steer is disabled in the event of a dead stick and rudder has no impact on throttle on one engine.

So I here by dedicate 1.4.5 firmware to Blade47. 1.4.X is dedicated to 2engsout - Thanks for all of the testing!

UkerDuker 02-13-2007 04:04 AM

Bill,

There needs to be some encouragement for all the 4-engine guys to help in your testing. ;)

I would like to purchase the "Quad-sync" for my C-130, but I'm currently several months away from needing the unit.

Mike

Acetronics 02-13-2007 05:36 AM

Hi, Bill

<< If you could reproduce it and send me a video >>

Just try to run a couple of ROYAL 45 Engines instead of your OS Engines ... you'll have it !!!

I give you my one and only, free, if you want ;)

For the rest of the post ... I do agree with you !!! : We can have a Twinsync aboard every twin ...;)

Regards

Alain

Terror Dactyl 02-22-2007 12:20 PM

Yo Twinman
Where is the blurb from this past weekend. I will say that it did seem to be able to keep up on the sync, at least better than the plane it was on.

I know the plane is not a 3D bird and it really goes good for a sport flyer.

You can tell the rest :D:eek::D

Blade47 02-22-2007 12:40 PM

Did the Dog team show up yet Bill?

gsmith6879 02-22-2007 06:06 PM

Just ran the MVVS 26cc gassers for my Palmer Bronco. I made a cradle to hold the nacelles while I set up the engines, exhaust, and TwinSyn system. Cowls go on in the morning. The TwinSync worked perfectly. I have the halls sensors mounted to use the ingition magnets. I had smooth sync from just above idle to full throttle. I have one engine that is about 200rpm slower than the other but you couldn't tell when both were running with the TwinSync.

Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egIKZSZNAjQ

n9331v 02-22-2007 06:31 PM

Nice video, I have been wanting to run up my B25 with twin sync but its been to cold

yl5295 02-22-2007 09:58 PM

gsmith,

Good to hear back from you!!! I think that you have at least 2 firmware rev's to your credit now. I would love a pair of those on board starters in a few of my planes as well. I have been tied up with new products and supporting people with twinsync's in other countries. I guess we will not hear from 2engsout until things thaw out of the midwest.

Thanks for the post but I still think YouTube video quality is so bad that it doesn't send a clear message. Audio is out of sync with video and the frame rate is too low for guys can't tell how well it really works. Please send me the raw video via putfile.com.

Bill

P.S. I have been bragging on your stuff to some of the sponsored guys...

gsmith6879 02-22-2007 10:20 PM

Video is on it's way. I did the video for the guys on the MVVS engine forum. They have been a big help in getting and setting up the MVVS 26cc gas engines in the Bronco. The exhaust system is plumber's nightmare but is very close to scale and works well.

I showed the TwinSync to the guy who will test fly the Bronco and he was very impressed. Said if we can keep both engines running and nothing important falls off on the first flight we will have winner!!

Michel 03-01-2007 06:20 PM

Greetings

I have recently perchased the Twin Sync . The instructions are 1.4.3 , 1.4.4 , I have noticed that on page 3 the LEds are numbered one way and on page 9 they are numbered another way . I assume that the numbers on page 9 , are correct Or is there something that I have missed Also is there any other error in the instructions that you could make me awear of . I have already downloaded youre recent instructions , which carries the same errors or error . I only plan on useing the Twin Sync this summer as a rainny day project , but wish to learn as much as I can . Hopefuly its going into a DC-3 someday .

This is a great thread

Cheers

Michel ( Mike ) [email protected]

booker-RCU 03-02-2007 07:42 PM

I have scanned thru this thread and have not noticed this question. Perhaps I just missed it. If so I apologize.
The question is: Can the glow driver battery be charged safely without damaging the TwinSync if it is charged using the charging port of a switch that supports DSC and is a charge port for the receiver battery? The switch would be mounted between the terminals of the glow driver battery but I notice that the Red (+) wire is a continuous connection with the TwinSync and only the Black(-) wire is open to the TwinSync when the switch is off. I would think it would be safe but just wanted to check.
Thanks
Galen

scriptt 03-04-2007 10:53 AM

Is this system compatible with the Spectrum DX7?

n9331v 03-04-2007 11:41 AM

I am using it with the DX7 and no problems.

Michel 03-04-2007 12:30 PM

Hi
Can anyone answer my question , about the LED # idenification , although I m in no big rush to have it answered . It s more of a , just want to know if its a typo

Thanks

Michel ( Mike ) ;)[8D]

yl5295 03-04-2007 12:38 PM

Mike,

I just checked and I see there is a typo on page 3 of the manual and I have corrected it. The diagrams on page 9 or your manual are labeled correctly.

Thanks,
Bill

Michel 03-04-2007 01:01 PM

Hi
Thanks Bill , I ve read the instructions at least three times , and I must say , If this device does what you say it is suppose to do it is fantasic

Again thanks for the return reply ;)

Cheers

Michel ( Mike ) ;)[8D]