RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   NEW KMP TWIN - Adam Aircraft A500 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4792850-new-kmp-twin-adam-aircraft-a500.html)

maxiemac 10-10-2009 12:22 AM

RE: NEW KMP TWIN - Adam Aircraft A500

Thanks Buckaroo and Saul - hadn't thought of that - could be a possibility even though I was on grass - maybe I dinged it carrying the a/c around or something else - dunno - I think I'll change the props to APC glass filled and keep a closer eye on them - and as an instructor maybe I should practice more what I preach to students - do proper mechanical checks including props. Saul: I've now had engine outs and have seen the a/c can fly on one engine.

For Kinverflyer - as you can see from above post, my engine should have thrown itself thru the cowl but for nyloc nuts - may I suggest double nutting or using Nyloc nuts on your engines to their mounts - in addition I found one of my O.S. flex pipes (when I tried to use them) broke thru vibration even though it was supported ( I can post pics if you need to see - maybe your flex pipe is better quality than OS?) and like Buckaroo: with 2 x Saito 125's I think yours will go ballistic too! - wow what big loops you two are going to pull even though it's not an aerobat - but they're fun to do.

Do any of you guys know where I can get 3" three bladed pull and push spinners. I have 3 blade Master Airscrew 13x8 pull/push props I would like to try. I don't think Tru-Turn do them - at least not that I have seen.

cheers - maxiemac :)

Radical Departure 10-12-2009 12:28 PM

Good point Buckaroo... hadn't thought about front kicking up stuff to the back.. will keep an eye out for that. Good job with the landing Maxiemac! Nice to know it'll hang in there with an engine out.

Not much new here. Had problems with paint, so spent 3 days trying different brands. Duplicolor white professional series was supposed to do it.. good lord what a mess.. went on very thin, and uses a 'fan' or '+' type nozzle, so it went everywhere but on the part. When done it had a grey/white mottle look to it.. resand and start over. Krylon was another disaster.. resand, start over. Did this with about 3-4 brands on an aileron.. (no..didn't do any large pieces yet!). Looks like Valspar is going to be the winner, looked good in test, but started raining and humidity went way up so had to stop. Will keep posted...

Then.. couple nights ago, 'better' half knocked the fuse off the bench. It hit the floor on a 'corner' of the rear engine mount. Knocked a chunk of glass out, and also has some 'spider webbing' on the glass around that area.. dammit! .. Now have to spend time fixing that. Only saving grace is repair work will be covered by the cowl. Surprisingly, to have dropped from around 3-4 ft. onto a concrete floor, there was no other damage or cracking.. would have thought it would split the fuse as hard as it hit.. very very lucky.. not another blemish from it.. one of these days.. this plane will be done!!
HM

slevin1 10-12-2009 08:56 PM

Radical,

Use PPG brand. It is expensive but the finish is always superb!!

Here this might help. Read the whole forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7743015

Saul

BT Sniper 10-21-2009 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well guys I have been hard at work modifing the A500 kit with a goal of fixing the troublesome aft CG as well as increasing lift to carry some weight. Been a long process and lots of work but it is starting to resemble an airplane.

I stretched the fuse by 12" and increased the wing area by 3x. Swept it 12 degrees with built in 3 degree wash out at the tips. Some may cringe at the sight of the chopped up and put back together bird but the plan is to use one pusher engine in the back. Could resemble a prop driven version of the A700. I moved the rear firewall foward by 3" as well to allow for as little weight in the aft as possible. With the swept wings and 16" chord line it allowed for a 4" shift rearward in the CG.

Have read all the posts and studied all the info. The way I see it the stock plane had a pretty high wing loading at advertised 17lb weight. Most are over 20lbs ready to fly. My goal is to keep this bird under 30lbs and that would allow for a 35 oz per sq/ft wing loading compare to the nearly 58 or so oz. per sq/ft of the original at the advertised 17lbs.

Have many more pics I will post. This sight as certainly been a help with many great and helpfull tips. Great pics of the allready flying A500s here as well. I'll probably have a few ?s and comments for you guys.

Thanks

BT

BT Sniper 10-21-2009 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It seems all sights are a bit different in how to post pics. I'll see if I can get a few more up.

maxiemac 10-21-2009 09:56 PM

Hi BT - what a creation! - looks to have been modified for a purpose - camera ship? or something else? When you get a moment could you please post some closeup pics of the retracts you will use. The reason I ask is - my retracts supplied with the kit failed after 2 flights on a 22lb model. If you think this a/c will finally weigh in around 30lb I really wonder about the supplied retracts (if you are using them) standing up to the task. Not negative, just being pre-emptive.

My Adam has a finished wing loading of around 64 oz/sq ft and it takes off, flys around and lands very smoothly - no bad traits at all.

BT Sniper 10-21-2009 10:48 PM

Yah landing gear is a concern. Saw the beefed up ones you installed, looks good. I think KMP must have continously upgraded the kit as my uc formers seemed to be glued in place with more then what I saw in your pics. I also got 2 different sets of retracks from KMP. The plastic insert ones like you had fail and some metel improved ones.

This plane was purchased with the intent to carry test equipment in a pusher configuration with a big heavy engine in the back. I just did not think it would have managed with the possible flying weights and stock wing. It may have but the required speed would have been just to much.

So may just try out a strong fixed gear option to start with.

maxiemac 10-22-2009 01:14 AM

Hi BT - Some time back I found a website displaying the ESM retacts that came with my Adam A500. On this site I found there were three sets of retract - the ones supplied with the nylon inserts were the lightest duty that went with my Adam A500 ( and it would seem they also went with Radical Departure and Kinverflyer A500's kits to name two). Enzo65 seems to have a later variation with his extruded trailing link fork but I haven't seen his actual retract. Seems you may have lucked it ??? for a more robust set - if so, good for you.

If you need I can give you details of how to get the retracts from an Australian manufacturer same as I have (used by quite a few jet flyers over here so they have to be good for that application) and I haven't had any problems with them so far after about 20 landings.

I suppose if clean lines and speed are not important given your application then fixed gear will be ok.

Radical Departure 10-22-2009 11:02 AM

BT - Wow!!! .. now thats different. Very interesting, kudos on the 'stretching'.. nice work. Please keep us posted on progress!

Still not sure what I'll do about gear, may try to contact Andrew w/KMP and see if possible to get one of the better sets, or at least a point of contact. And theres the option of having new inserts machined. For better or worse, I like the 'stance' of the KMP rear gear, near scale, would like to find something similar.

Curious what setup some of you are using. Quite a few servos involved and would be interested in how you dealt with it. Anyone using a DX7 or 9303 with it? Even though I'm going electric, still a lot going on electronically with gas setups. Also curious what servos you're using, I apologize if you've already mentioned, tell me to reread the post. Using a servo calculator, an aileron on this bird, for example, would only need something like 24 lbs torque at 65 mph to achieve the necessary 15mm travel, and it goes down from there. Well within specs of some smaller metal geared servos. Just curious how some of you approached that...

Admit haven't done much on mine in past few days. Job been very busy, and have to squeeze some time in to get a friends rig ready for a 4x4 rock crawl event next weekend. I don't know jack about 4x4 mechanics, but he does, so its been a good learning experience pulling axles and transfer cases then modifying them. Plus am club officer, and have fun fly same weekend.. too much on the plate!

maxiemac 10-23-2009 07:35 AM

RD.... We have different time zones so I've jumped in here...for what it's worth... I used Robart #674 Noseleg (straight) and Robart #678 Mains (trailing Link) far better quality than the oleos you and I were supplied with. Robarts need a 1/2" diameter hole to fit into the retract block.... I used retracts designed for 25lb models made by Trim Aircraft, Melbourne, Australia. My opinion...they work, the side rails are machined from high quality square alum. bar stock (not bent and/or extruded stock!), air up/air down, self locking in both up and down positions and I get 6-8 extend/retracts from the air bottle that came with the kit. The centreline of the oleos is further aft than the supplied retract. Enzo in a previous post showed how he did his air lines, mine are nowhere near as complex as his but work perfectly. What I find interesting is: in early ads this kit was advertised for around US$800 incl. retracts, then later it was 800 plus 200 for retracts and now it is 700 plus 200 for retracts at one place and 800 incl. retracts at another....my opinion still is....buy better retracts.

The radio I use is Graupner JR MX22 with a JRPRS10DS 10 channel dual conversion synthesised PLL receiver. I used qty 4 x JR539 4.8kg (10.5lb) standard servos for air valve, steering and throttles. I used qty 9 x JR8231 6.5 kg (14.3lb) digital servos for all flying surfaces and they work fine. I also used a JR Matchbox (Multi-Box) that takes one flap output from the receiver and operates 4 x flap servos at the same time. From the Matchbox each servo can be adjusted individually for end point, centreing and throw. I bought 10 metres (32ft) of bulk servo lead plus the male and female connectors and a crimper and made up my own servo leads to the lengths I needed. There is one connector where the leads exit the wing centre section and connect to short leads into the receiver so the wing can be removed from the fuselage as needed and of course the connector at the servo end. All above powered by 5 cell 3600mah NiMh battery.

Good luck with your mud/rock bash. Am flying the A500 in another competition this weekend, weather permitting.

Radical Departure 10-23-2009 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info. Max! I'll look at those other products. I can probably squeeze it all in on my DX7, w/AR9000 or thereabouts, but a 9303 would make it so much easier. Smart-fly has some new servo products that allow ganging of 4 or less servos to one channel w/independent adjustments. Pretty reasonable pricing on them.

Wishing you well in the competition! Weather permitting? .. finally getting some rain? Been raining here, temp in low 40's, so cloudy its still a bit dark out. Deer hunting this weekend so its good weather for it. Mud/Rock/fun fly next weekend and off to Branson, Missouri to rep. the US Army Ranger Association at the 13th National POW Banquet the following weekend. And you know what.. thank goodness they'll be over.. because I don't want to, or have to do another damned thing the rest of the year but work on this plane and chill out a bit! [8D]

Notice you're online as well.. you're either having a very late night or a very early morning?? Good luck on the fly!

maxiemac 11-06-2009 08:44 PM

Rad...D...- I'm pretty sure the JR9303 is the US version of my Graupner/JR MX22 with 10 channels standard (I used 9 channels but up to 12 are available with programming) and 30 model memories. My understanding is there are variations in the software between the two but I'm not sure what they are.
If I'm correct the DX7 is seven channel and all will be used in the A500 with Y leads on throttles, rudders, and aileron. Steering could mix with rudder as mine does but you've then run out of channels for separate throttle and aileron controls. One important mix is flap to elevator for landing. My only Y lead is on rudder.

With JR (9303 or MX22) you can use the Matchbox (Multibox) for 4 flaps (and/or ailerons, throttles). These are available from Chief Aircraft OR for US$69.95 for one, or US$109.99 for two (prices as at Nov '09 see link below) - not sure how these prices compare to Smart Fly gear. Your DX7 could also use Matchboxes for throttles and/or ailerons and/or steering - at least this way each servo centreing and travel could be adjusted to suit your installation to stay within the DX7 channels available and leave two channels available for mixing flap to elevator for landing.

[link]http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/Models/RadioControl/JR/JRMatchBox.html[/link]

Comp. went well, came 4th - weather did permit - (today is 30C/86F deg.) and I'm often up 'til 2am but our time difference (as I edit this it's 3.07pm Saturday and we're now on daylight savings time) might show I'm up later (or earlier!) - dunno. - - Deer Hunting? Truck Building? Mud bashing? Officiating? Banquetting? no wonder your aeromodelling is taking a back seat! - to h... with it - live life - we're only here a short time.

In your post of Oct. 22nd you indicated using a servo calculator for calculating control surface load to know what size servo to use. Can you advise what this calculator is?, I would be interested to know.

cheers - -maxiemac :)

Radical Departure 11-09-2009 02:29 PM

Hey Maximac,
Thanks for the info.. still a bit from that point but doesn't hurt to start planning now. Well my adventures are all done so now I can rest for a couple days and get back to the Adam. And this was also the week to quit smoking after 35 years of it. Guess I love punishment 'cause its been piled on lately! As said, only going around once with this one..

here's the link to the sero calc. I used. Same one I've seen on other sites, either link or code.

[link=http://www.morgantech.com/Servo%20Torque%20Caculator.htm]Servo Calculator[/link]

I based my servos off of it.. so we'll see what happens!

TomHauff 12-06-2009 08:51 AM

What is the status of the ADAM A500 from KMP?
I did not see on the KMP website.
I would like to get one!

slevin1 12-06-2009 04:16 PM

This might help:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/adam_airc...QueryId=320686

Saul

Kelly Models 02-15-2010 01:34 AM

I just aquired an A-500. It was crashed on the first flight. Most of the damage is minimal, but the wing center section is broken in two. Does anyone have plans for this? I'd like to power it with a pair of G-20's. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kelly Models 02-15-2010 01:42 AM

I recently aquired an A-500 after it was crashed. Most of the repairs are minimal, but the wing center section is brken in two. Can i get a replacement, or are there plans for this section? I also haven't seen much on the flying characteristics of this plane. Is it an accident waiting to happen?

slevin1 02-15-2010 07:23 AM

Try www.hobby-lobby.com
They currently sell the plane and may be able to get you a replacement wing. I also saw an ad in one of the R/C mags for the Zenoah
G20 and it featured an Adam A-500 with 2 G20's. I have not flown mine yet so I cannot comment on flight characteristics but the one recurring theme is that it is tail heavy and requires that you mount the radio equipment as far forward as possible as well as nose weight. Your plane is definitely worth fixing. Please post the pics of your repair. I would love to follow it.

Saul

Kelly Models 02-15-2010 09:51 PM

I'm waiting for an answer from the manufacturer. I hope a wing kit is available for a reasonable cost. Plans would be a great option as well. I haven't really looked over the plane that much, but I'm sure I can rebuild the center section if I have to. The original owner had a G-20 on the front and an electric motor in the rear. (Hybrid lol)

maxiemac 02-16-2010 12:57 AM

There were only 48-50 built so getting one might be a problem - maxiemac

maxiemac 02-16-2010 01:00 AM

There were no plans - it just came in a big box ready to put together - the handbook wasn't a lot of help - maxiemac

enzo65 06-23-2010 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Friends

other video from Italy to KMP Adam A500 [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqQTxdbM6Yg]video A500[/link]

regards Enzo Riccio

[link]http://www.enzoriccio.it[/link]
[link]http://www.e-flyteam.it[/link]

maxiemac 06-23-2010 09:06 PM

Enzo - your video is great - really shows off the Adam to good effect and how easy it is to takeoff, fly and land - keep up the good work.

I thought this thread had died, no-one has said boo since February.

Now I'm all enthused again to put mine back into the air.

cheers

maxiemac :)

smile - it don't hurt

Radical Departure 06-24-2010 08:53 AM

Boo! :D

Still have mine.. ran into a number of problems getting it painted so stepped away from it for a bit. Friend in Missouri wants to give a go at painting it so it'll be headed that way sometime next month. If I hadn't fell off into the deep end of the pool by deciding to repaint the whole thing it would likely be flying by now. So.. its still in the game, just taking far longer than anticipated to complete. Its all good, still have to get the gear to another friend to machine some stronger parts, vs. buying new gear. In meantime am about to start building a 1/3 BUSA super cub. So many planes.. so little time...

Radical Departure 06-24-2010 09:00 AM

Liked the video... Looking good Enzo!!!

Dang I'm looking forward to getting mine flying!