RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Palmer 132" AC-130 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4820908-palmer-132%22-ac-130-build.html)

UkerDuker 01-02-2007 10:07 PM

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

Troy,

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I just need to understand how to read these plans to get my upper ramp door mounted. I think I have the lower ramp worked out. I'm just curious about what type of hinge(s) to use.

Do you have any pics of the lower ramp where it meets the fuselage? I'd like to see what type of gap (if any) is there. Or is this gap covered by the fuselage sheeting. I spent 3 weeks before XMAS at Fort Bragg in NC. I should have gone over to Pope airfield for some up close pics. That was a lost opportunity.

Thanks again for the pics Troy. I will have some ramp pics posted this weekend.

Mike

grinder-RCU 01-02-2007 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

I need some help.

Does anyone have pictures of the C-130 ramp area? I'm looking specifically for the lower ramp where it meets the fuselage. Also where the upper ramp meets the tail section. All the pictures I see online dont get very close to these 2 areas.

Mike
Here is a few pics. Ill try to find some more.

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 01-02-2007 11:28 PM

for those that haven't seen this vid which i beleive is from a Palmer C-123 build. Gives a good look at the workings of the loading ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRiUt5zgMU

grinder.

schwatd 01-03-2007 12:34 PM

With the size of the nacells on this bird I think that turboprop idea is pretty much down the drain. I think though that RCV90-SP's might be in order. I'm trying to track down size specs right now to see if they will fit. HP is very similar to the MVVS .49's but the RCV's can turn a scale prop.

UkerDuker 01-03-2007 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Troy, Looking at RCV's website, the dimensions are almost perfect. I attached a pic with the mount specs. The only issue will be in moving the firewall back to align the engine and the nacelle. THis will restrict the fuel cell size, but a 2nd tank can be added. I wont know until I start work on the wing and engine mounts. The firewall measures 5.5" x 2.75".

I'm interested in seeing your redesign of the flap mechanics.

Mike

schwatd 01-03-2007 01:20 PM

It would be very nice to use the hard point wing tank! That would hold atleast 20 oz.

schwatd 01-03-2007 01:28 PM

Ah, what dimention are you using for firewall placement on the RVC? 4.72" is what I have but I have no drawing to tell me what the points are, end of shaft, end of prop washer, etc. Do you have something, cause if the point is the end of shaft I don't think there should be any need to move the fire wall. Unless it's forward a scoish.

schwatd 01-03-2007 02:07 PM

AH, well duh, I found it in the operating manual. It is 4.72" from the mounting plate to the face of the prop washer.

schwatd 01-03-2007 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,

I've been doing some measuring and investigating and I've come up with this conclusion, albeit might be wrong. The prop line in the plans are too far aft. I've got a photo to back up my thoughts. I think the RVC-90SP would fit exactly, putting the prop washer right where it needed to be, just out in the spinner. What do you think?

UkerDuker 01-03-2007 08:10 PM

Troy,

As I am back to work, I am away from my plans. I haven't looked over the wing/engine mounting specs yet. Personally, I take one challenge at a time. Right now, its the cargo ramps. When I determine a workable solution, I will move on to completing the tale fins.

I would like to see you Folwer flap ideas before beginning anything with the wing. I do plan on using carbon fiber strips along with the main spars to increase the overall strength. I might have to have custom spars cut to make room. Only time will tell.

I would love to use the RCV90SP's, but like I found when I was building my Hawkeye, the first choice might not be feasible. The potential props and the scale-like characteristics are very enticeing. Honestly, I want a well performing aircraft. I want to be able to do my paratrooper/heavy drops. If this calls for different engines or 2-bladed props, then so be it. Scale likeness is great, but overall performance is better in my eyes. I want to have fun with this project. I want that WOW factor when its flying, not when its on the ground. Some might agree or disagree with this thinking.

ANyway, I hate to ramble. I will be mounting a wireless camera in the cockpit with this project. Should make for some cool videos.

Mike

schwatd 01-03-2007 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,

Have a look at this, I can change the scale of this and the start and end points

UkerDuker 01-03-2007 08:42 PM

Troy,

I dont have a physical hinge here, but looking at that, the flap will always have small degree of deployment. Looking at your pics, won't you need a flat portion of the track when its retracted? The way I see the fully retracted position in your drawings, the flap will have a few degrees of down angle. Am I wrong? Granted, I havent looked at the wing portion of the plans.

Mike

schwatd 01-03-2007 09:09 PM

Wellll, thats just a gif file from the CAD program, the actual drawing and flap hinge is milled specifically for the called for angles of the aircraft flaps. Does that make sense? The advantage of this dsign is that there is only one track and it is easily hidden in the flap itself.

UkerDuker 01-03-2007 09:13 PM

Troy,

That makes perfect sense.

I missed one of your posts about the hardpoint wing tank. It is VERY possible. Looking at the tanks available from Sullivan, they make a 16oz cylinder tank.
http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Fueltanks1MainFrame.htm

I'm not sure of the diameter of the of the wing tanks called for by the plans. Its very possible to have a single wing tank per engine, giving it unlimited flight time.

Mike

schwatd 01-03-2007 09:24 PM

my thoughts exactly about the fuel.

I measured some more about the RVC90SP and I'm concerned about the cowling measurements. I think you are right about the FW, I think the doubled up setup is one layer too far forward. I believe that might be a very easy fix. I found the wing attachment box in the plans. It is straight out of a sig setup. bracket box with a solid cord beam for the attachment.

grinder-RCU 01-04-2007 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the numbers for the RCV 90sp. It will fit nicely in the cowling with only the carb sticking out a bit. Everything else fits inside. The firewall will have to be moved back about 1/4" i beleive trying to go from memory here. I had a RCV 90 ordered for the Herc to see how it fits inside the nacelle. Well in the mean time i deceided to use the RCV 90 in my sons H9 corsair. I should have taken a pic when i had the engine trial fitted in the nacelle. Duh!. The problem is finding props with enough pitch 10" or higher. The torque is unbelievable. I'm going with the RCV's because of the starting behind the prop feature, scale props, torque, fit inside nacelle, run the exhaust out the back.

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 01-04-2007 12:49 AM

Didn't the Palmer plans call for Robart scale fowler flap hinges. I don't have the drawings in front of me right now. But are these the ones.

http://www.robart.com/Hinge.aspx Part #345

Grinder.

grinder-RCU 01-04-2007 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
forgot to include the pic.

schwatd 01-04-2007 10:23 AM

You are correct about the plans calling for Robart hinges for the flaps, however, the robart hinges do not travel back prior to their downward turn to 34 degrees. What I am trying to do is creat a hinge that allows the flap to travel farther back increasing the total wing area before it begins it's downward arc.

grinder-RCU 01-04-2007 12:50 PM

oh now i understand.. Thanks.

grinder.

schwatd 01-05-2007 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I just bought 4 RCV90-SP's to fly my HC-130. I want them early on in the build so that I can set up the nacelles as needed for their extra length. I plan on turning 15x12 4 bladed props for this model and these engines are rated for that. Mike ,aka ukerduker, and I have posted our opionins of this powerplant and since he has gotten some fuselage problems knocked down and is currently looking at the ramp, I'm going to go ahead and see if these beasties will fit the bill. Pics to be posted as soon as the motors arrive.

UkerDuker 01-06-2007 07:05 PM

I have a good idea for constructing the ramp hinges. I will be constructing them out of brass tubes and solid pieces of brass sodered to the tubes. There will be two tubes. The smaller one will fit tightly into the other. Right now it seems like a good concept, but I will have to build them and see if the concept if do-able. Pictures to follow soon.

As for the RCV90sp engine, is this a reliable engine? I have been told this has been around for several years, but I have only heard of them recently. I have always used OS or Saitos with no issues. I guess I'm skeptical of trying a new engine. I had these same feelings back when I was building my Hawkeye. I was almost glad wen I found out it didnt fit. I guess my old habits die hard.

Mike

schwatd 01-06-2007 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,

We'll find out how the RCV90SPs do I guess.

I have called Lockheed and ended up talking to a C-130 maintence crew chief, I've got the mains now planned, there will be two shock absorbing struts per tire just like the real macoy, I have planned the trunnion to move up and down on a screw jack for each bogy. The real aircraft has a 15" strut travel distance which for us is about 1.5".

I have looked at the ramp hinges and was going to ask you about a piano hing for the bottom ramp and robart's door hinges for the upper door. One of the pictures on the web sort of resembles about six or so of the swing away door hinges (see image).

Anyway, I also got the technical bullaten for the C-130H mod upgrade for 100" and 80 " infront and behind the wing, respectively, including frame locations. I'm thinking about this one because it will mean only reproducing existing fuselage and nothing else.

Brad, at Fibertech is great! I should have the nacelles in about 6 weeks or so.

About the aux fuel tanks, I was thinking 6 to 8 oz for each engine per side in that pylon tank, I think two of that size should fit.

Are you going to get lights for this model?

UkerDuker 01-06-2007 10:12 PM

Troy,

Are the bulletins in PDF or emailable format? If not, can you scan those bulletins? I would love to see some technical related material.

I will be putting a full light kit onboard. Right now, I just dont know where all the lights are located. Do you? My LHS owner will be building my light set.

Mike

schwatd 01-07-2007 12:26 AM

Mike,

I'll get the bulletins to you on Monday.