RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Palmer 132" AC-130 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4820908-palmer-132%22-ac-130-build.html)

dmcconneyherc 07-15-2008 06:25 PM

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

Hello everyone. My name is Dave and I have just started my 132" c130. I have read this forum for a couple of months now and have found it of great help. Thanks so far. I hope I will be able to add to the wealth of great information.

I have always thought of myself as a closet engineer. As a result I will be trying very hard to build my herk using as much of the real engineering as possible. I am planning to build my own landing gear using worm gear drives and fowler flaps using worm gear drives as well. My ailerons and elevators will have all control rods internal. I have decided to go with Power 110 electric motors and my own custom lighting. I used to be in the Canadian Airforce in avionics and have worked on herks. LAPES cabability will also be built in. I aslo plan on adding a SAS (Stabilization Augmentation System) in some fashion to this bird as well. Probably a modified Heli system. I have also added the 180" extensions in to my fuselage. 8 3/5" between ff8 and ff8A and 6 5/8" right behind ff16. I will be splitting the fuselage at ff16 as well as well as having full wing, tail and horizontal stabilizer removal to enable transport to the flying club.

Sound ambitious. I know but with the size of this bird and the time and money ... why not. Let's have some fun while were at it.

Look forward to future ideas and discussions.

Happy flying and safe landings. Same way down as up.

UkerDuker 07-25-2008 10:27 PM

dmcconneyherc, welcome to the madness!!

I finally got a chance to come back to the states. The only progress I made was in purchasing my first of 4 engines. I am only home 2 weeks, then I have to return to my desert oasis. [:@] I have also purchased my new wheels, that should fit in the wheel wells and the brake assemblies. These are from Robart. My Sullivan wheels were too wide for my main wheel doors to shut. I also bought the Master Builders hardware kit from RTL. Why didn't I do this sooner?!?!?!? This is perfect!! I plan on buying another in the near future.

While I'm overseas, I have been watching the Dave Platt videos. It passes the time while giving me new ideas on how to proceed with my build. That's about it from my end. I haven't done much RC stuff since I returned. I purchased a Giant Sundowner, which I hope to fly tomorrow. Keep posting your build progress.

Mike

dmcconneyherc 07-27-2008 10:14 PM

Hi UkerDuker,

This build is turning into quite a challenge and a lot of fun. Glad to see you are still trying to continue your build. I have had to move my fuselage split from ff16 to behind the wheel well. Bad idea trying to split the wheel well. I am now splitting the fuselage between the wheel well and the front of the aft extension component. I have also found an "autopilot" that will help restore loss of flight control.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-16.html

I am looking at the BTA AS-07 Auto Pilot.

Dave

oltimer 07-28-2008 06:15 PM

Dave;

I would suggest you do your homework if you intend to use the BTA Autopilot!! I have one and nothing but trouble. It has a mechanical gyro and is pretty much outdated unless they have redesigned it recently.

Frank

dmcconneyherc 08-01-2008 09:27 PM

Oltimer,

I will defintely do some more research before I make a decision.

Thanks

By the way ..... love Sarasota. My wife and my favorite vacation spot.

dmcconneyherc 08-02-2008 10:00 PM

Frank,

I checked Maxx Products International'a website. The BTA Autopilot is using a piezo gyro. Is this the same gyro as yours? I have noticed several other devices from other manufacturers for rc and robotics that are using piezo gyros.

Thanks

Dave

oltimer 08-03-2008 06:52 PM

Dave;

The pizzo gyro controller is the lates technology. I have an older unit that uses a mechanical gyro that is heavier and noisy. Why are you going to use an autopolot unit? It is just anolther link that can go wrong. If you need someone with more experience to fly the plane please ask someone you trust and save yourself some grief. I am not a hot shot pilot but I do enjoy the building and have a friend fly my new aircraft for me. I have had him fly two different aircraft in the TOP GUN Competition with good success and then I don't take home a bag of trash. Hope your aircraft comes out as you expect it to. This is no biginner project!! It takes a lot of time and expense to complete.

Best Wishes, Frank

dmcconneyherc 08-04-2008 10:25 PM

Frank,

Thanks for the thoughts. After much thinking, I tend to agree with you. Less cost and weight as well.

Mike (UkerDuker) .....

If I remember correctly, you are using a 1-3/8" composite tube for the wing box spar. Where did you get it. I have been looking around and can't find anyplace that sells tubes larger than .625".

Thanks

Dave

UkerDuker 08-04-2008 10:29 PM

Dave,

I purchased my tube here: http://www.composite-resources.com/

Mike

planepartsguy 08-05-2008 08:22 AM

WOW !!
I am glad I found you guys ! I also have just started building a Palmer 1/12 scale Herc. I have been trying to read all these feeds from the beginning for the last 6 hours, and my eyes are tired.
I studied the plans for 2 weeks before just starting. PCK should get some better people for quality control and engineering though. I am seeing many of the problems others have discovered first.
I have just finished my fuselage sides and starting to work on the main gear support areas. I have the Century retracts, because I could not find a jackscrew system. I will take note of all of everyones
mods and improvements. I only hope my Herc turns out as nice as what i have seen on this feed.
I don't know if my background with Hercs can help, but in my real job, I am a supplier of spares for the C-130 and T-56 engine and do have some IPC's and Tech books for the bird and prop system.
I also helped tear down 2 C-130A's back in '89 . I do like this plane.
Chris

oltimer 08-05-2008 06:50 PM

Dave;

You can also find the aluminum tube that goes into the C.F. tube from McMaster-Carr on line. It is 1 1/4" O.D. with a .032 wall.

Frank

mario tavarez14 08-06-2008 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
after two years seating down finnally i went to warbird over delaware and flight my bird 5 time , i am a proud owner of this baby

oltimer 08-07-2008 06:50 PM

Congratulations Mario!!

Can you tell us what engines you are flying your model with and how much it weighs? I think we would be interested for our own projects. I am using the RCS 90 engines, not the torpedo shaped ones but the standard shape.

Thanks, Frank

mario tavarez14 08-13-2008 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oltimer the C-130 have 4 saito 91 with 14x6 prop 42 lbs , i just flight last week and the 2 outboard engine quit , no problem i keep this baby in the air for about 2 more minute then decide to land to avoid more problem , the saito engine realy show me the performance

oltimer 08-14-2008 05:51 PM

Mario;

I am projecting that my airplane will weigh about 40 to45 pounds when finished. I'm glad that you were able to keep flying on the two engines. I am using 4 RCV 91 4-strokes in mine. These engines are heavier than the Saito (which was my first choice too) but they didn't fit in the cowls very well. The RCV does not have the rocker covers on it as it uses a different method of valving. Good luck in the future with your model, it looks beautiful. You should be very proud of it.

Frank

longflyer 08-14-2008 08:26 PM

hello every one.. pls check out my c130 under scratch built c130 forum.. 14 foot ws.
pics of the plane in final stages of building.

carps 08-30-2008 04:54 PM

Hi Guys,

I have finally succumbed. I have been flying RC since the early 70's and have been working as a Flight Engineer and instructor on the C-130 since 1976.

I am now setting up my retirement project and have purchased the Palmer Plans for the 132" version from PCK to check out the quality.

I have been through this forum and appreciate all the information from those building this aircraft

Before I purchase the Kit I would like to know how many of them have been actually flown and has anyone changed the incidence angles +5 on the wing and -2 on the stab seem to be excessive. (My opinion only).

By the way are you aware that the actual aircraft has a flat top on the stab and the airfoil is only on the bottom.

Carps

oltimer 08-30-2008 06:45 PM

Carps;

You may have answered your own question! The Palmer plans call for +5 degrees of positive incidence and a negative 2 degrees incidence on the stab because the airfoul on the stab is symetrical. The full size aircraft as you say has a "flat" top on the upper surface and a curved surface on the bottom. This is effectively using an airfoil "up-side-down" to accomplish the same effect. I'll bet the stab on the full size is negative also, but about half as much or about 1/2 to 1 degree negative. This is quite common in many aircraft. Thanks for the input and please check out my assessment and let me know if what I have said is indeed the case. I had a Nitro Models pusher plane that had a lifting stab but it was lifting in the wrong direction so I reversed it and the plane flew fine.

Be aware that the Palmer plans are full of "traps" albeit unintentional, but never the less there. Pay close attention to the construction details. I would suggest that you order a "short-kit" where you only get the formers and ribs plus accessory parts and not the planking. The planking you usually get is far too heavy and makes the plane come out heavy. Good luck on your build! I sure have enjoyed my build although not complete is is getting close. I have heard of many of these models flying and from the information I have read they fly VERY well on 70 to 90 size engines.

Thanks, Frank

Props4ever 10-08-2008 11:09 PM

OK guys i might be joining your madness as well, i have leads on similar 132" wingspan Palmer C-130 for a jolly good price, more then likely i will buy it. Model is not finished yet but 80% built already. Servos, retracts, airline kit all installed, even rear cargo door is operational on it!.

Once i get it, it will be done in either of two liveries:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Saudi...les/1192387/L/

OR

Pakistan International Airlines Lockheed L-100 in 60's livery. PIA had two L-100s AP-AUT and AP-AUU which were later transferred to Pakistan Air Force.

Cheers,
Sam

Props4ever 10-13-2008 10:12 PM

Talk about HUGE GIANT scale models, well here is one that is head turner and true inspiration to every giant scale C130 modeler, You have to see it....

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKvEw...eature=related

Dad_Roman 10-13-2008 11:05 PM

Here is some fantastic vid of a Fat Albert Herc.

This mightve been the one I was lookin for in the AMA vid that had the mid air...but I dunno.

Hard to find maybe because this is in Isreal;)

Enjoy.... [link=http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKSxutBlFA&feature=related]Fat Albert[/link]

Props4ever 10-14-2008 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

This mightve been the one I was lookin for in the AMA vid that had the mid air...but I dunno.

Enjoy.... [link=http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GIKSxutBlFA&feature=related]Fat Albert[/link]

Well if there has been a mid-air on one of these HUGE C130s then i also want to see it!.

Those models in that video are just phenomenal in my books, all of them even SEC5!...

Dad_Roman 10-14-2008 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

Well if there has been a mid-air on one of these HUGE C130s then i also want to see it!.

Those models in that video are just phenomenal in my books, all of them even SEC5!...

Amazing vid aint it. Look at those others from Arava also, some really cool stuff.

In one of the past AMA vids there is a Fat Albert this same size doing a high speed low pass. As it starts to pull out, somethin like an Edge or an Extra that looks to be about 25% sized, cuts 90* across the pattern and hits Fat Albert right in the nose. The Herc doesnt even wobble and the other plane disentigrates and goes in. It doesnt show him bring the Herc around for landing, which obviously goes fine, but it does show the nose in the pits. It hit right behind the cockpit windows and took out a chunk about 12"x12".

When I joined my local club one of the guys loaned me a stack of his AMA vids so I dont know which one it was. Maybe Ill get them back from him and try to find it again sometime.

Props4ever 10-14-2008 10:13 AM

Wow amazing that Herk still flew after getting hit like that but poor Extra bit the dust in the air!. it would be cool if you could find the video, no rush whenever you come across it juss post it's link or here or PM me.

InboundLZ 10-31-2008 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, been reading this thread for hours...the 130 has always been on my list to do...I fear I can not resist much longer...

I built this HH65 Dauphin Tail Number 6577 (Air Station San Francisco) and I have always wanted a 130 to go with it...

So tell me, is Palmer still the way to go or are there better plans or kits out there?