RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Palmer 132" AC-130 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4820908-palmer-132%22-ac-130-build.html)

oltimer 10-31-2008 07:16 PM

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

F-18DiamondBack102:

Palmer plans are O.K. if you like lots of pitfalls! There are many elements of his plans that simply do not work as advertised. Some of the parts have errors in stringer placement. Unless you are an experienced builder don't start this project. I have been working on my model for 2 years and I am just getting to the finishing effort. It is a LOT of work as many of my co-builders will testify. There were about four or five serious builders on this thread and most of the problems with the plans have been discussed in this thread. Mike Ulkowski, who started the thread is unfortunately in the Middle East on assignment and not much has been happening on this thread, but what is here is accurate to the best of my knowledge. Read it and make your own decision. The model is quite impressive IF you take the time to do it right!!

Frank

mironpopescu1 10-31-2008 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Frank, just finish painting my Herk and plan now to have it rolling and debug as necessary till I would decide to push the throtle and squeeze the elevator. I also would like to sell it if I will find someone interested. Pls see the attached pics Mike

UkerDuker 10-31-2008 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well well well, after a short break in my build, I have returned!!

I have begun unpacking all my parts and I'm seeing exactly where I left off. Looks like I will begin by finishing my last outboard flap. From there, I will either begin the engine mounting or start on the outboard wing panel wiring.

It never fails that I get side-tracked from my AC-130 project. So far I have finished a 40 size Bobcat and almost completed a velocity canard plane from www.rchomebuilts.com. I will resume Herc posting on this forum shortly.

mironpopescu1- That looking real good! I even noticed the panel lines.

Mike

Props4ever 11-01-2008 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: mironpopescu1

Hello Frank, just finish painting my Herk and plan now to have it rolling and debug as necessary till I would decide to push the throtle and squeeze the elevator. I also would like to sell it if I will find someone interested. Pls see the attached pics Mike
Beautiful job done Mike, it's very impressive, it's not making sense to me why would you want to sell it after all this time and effort put into this great model!, honestly it's looking stunning just the way it is, i can't wait to see it all done and on the runway waiting it's first takeoff roll!!...

I can't wait to get my Herk now, it's just matter of time to pick a day and start driving on long journey...

Props4ever 11-01-2008 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

Well well well, after a short break in my build, I have returned!!

It never fails that I get side-tracked from my AC-130 project. I will resume Herc posting on this forum shortly.

Mike
Mike,

We all know how it happens, you are not the only who got side tracked from major project like this, i'm in same boat with ya bud, i still have to get back on my S Connie model and get it done. I got side tracked with 1/3rd scale Nosen C310 and now my Bday present 1/8th scale Avro Arrow!!...

Sam

Dad_Roman 11-01-2008 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: mironpopescu1

very nice

oltimer 11-01-2008 04:14 PM

Mike;

Nice job! I just put the primer coat on my fuse also. What a lot of area to cover. I will put a light grey paint on to see where some of the surface flaws are, then the final coats of camoflage. Keep in touch and let me know of your progress. You will be flying your aircraft before I do. Good to hear from you again!

Frank

shoveldirt 11-01-2008 07:28 PM

Gentlemen-

I see a few more folks have joined the madness. I let everyone know awhile back that I was training for my private pilot license. After 10 months of work (and $$$) and 43 hours logged in the air and as of today at 1:00 PM EDT, I am an officially licensed pilot. Also, during this time I have had a new addition to the family, which required the finishing off of another portion of the basement and drastically cutting into my workspace. Once I get what little space I have left organized, I will get back to working on the herc. For those justing getting started or toying with the idea: I, too, am 2.5 years deep into this project and I'll be the first to say that I am not as experienced as others on this build, but I have learned alot from the others along the way (oltimer, uker, etc.).

Uker-glad you made it home okay.

miron-Nice bird! I don't know why you'd want to get rif of it now.

Travis

UkerDuker 11-01-2008 07:53 PM

Thanks Travis, its good to be home. I took my AC-130U out to the middle Tennessee swapmeet today to show off my progress. People were amazed at the shear size of this Herc. There were many head-shakers and looks of amazement. I think I answered questions for 2-3 hours. It was great to hear all the words of encouragement. Although I love toalking to people about it, I won't be inviting many people to come see the maiden flight. Nothing personal, but I will be nervous enough and I won't want to hear the "peanut gallery" behind me. :D

Props4ever 11-02-2008 12:08 AM

Thanks Travis, its good to be home. I took my AC-130U out to the middle Tennessee swapmeet today to show off my progress. People were amazed at the shear size of this Herc. There were many head-shakers and looks of amazement. I think I answered questions for 2-3 hours. It was great to hear all the words of encouragement. Although I love toalking to people about it, I won't be inviting many people to come see the maiden flight. Nothing personal, but I will be nervous enough and I won't want to hear the "peanut gallery" behind me. :D

Welcome back Mike, i didn't realized it that you were already back my friend, nice to have our lead with us again. Yeah i know how it would have been and jaws drop and the WOW factor kicked in instantly from others after seeing your Herk!, i had similar happened to me with my Connie few times already. Hey so many people have asked me to be there when i do maiden on my Connie and i said same as you,as i'll be very nervous too and i took plastic bags home with me then i want to only one doing it...

Props4ever 11-02-2008 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: shoveldirt

Gentlemen-

I see a few more folks have joined the madness. I let everyone know awhile back that I was training for my private pilot license. After 10 months of work (and $$$) and 43 hours logged in the air and as of today at 1:00 PM EDT, I am an officially licensed pilot. Also, during this time I have had a new addition to the family, which required the finishing off of another portion of the basement and drastically cutting into my workspace. Once I get what little space I have left organized, I will get back to working on the herc. For those justing getting started or toying with the idea: I, too, am 2.5 years deep into this project and I'll be the first to say that I am not as experienced as others on this build, but I have learned alot from the others along the way (oltimer, uker, etc.).

Uker-glad you made it home okay.

miron-Nice bird! I don't know why you'd want to get rif of it now.

Travis
Congratulations on your flying license and little new comer Travis, good to have you back into this madness once again. Did you get PPL or CPL and what plane are you flying now.

Sam

EDIT: Anyone thinking on using Flite-Metal on your Herky birds?

UkerDuker 11-02-2008 09:45 AM

"EDIT: Anyone thinking on using Flite-Metal on your Herky birds? "

I am sticking to fiberglass and Klasscote epoxy paint.

Mike

Props4ever 11-02-2008 10:42 AM

"EDIT: Anyone thinking on using Flite-Metal on your Herky birds? "

I am sticking to fiberglass and Klasscote epoxy paint.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Welcome back my friend, i hope you are all settled back in at this time and looking forward to getting back into this madness boat soon. How is your son doing now days, he must have missed ya a lot when you were away. I hope you are not going back again anytime soon man!. Did you built the outer wings as yet or they still have to be built, the reason i ask this is that i will have built outers on my Herky bird once i get it. I am not going to start on it right of the back as i have 3 other projects in front of it that i'm working on atm, but will eventually. Hope to see your posts soon on here Captain!!....hehe

UkerDuker 11-02-2008 03:04 PM

Captain huh?!?!? Never thought of it like that. I was just another guy sharing a build. ;)

My outboard panels are basically done. I left off working on my righthand outboard flap. I will then need to construct my ailerons, then I will begin the firewall alignments. BUT, before I can do anything, I must overhaul and re-inventory my workshop. When I left, I packed everything into every corner. Somethings I have located, but there are many parts and tools I still cannot find. I am in no hurry, but it will be nice to return to the days of fingers glued together and engineering solutions for the problems of this build.

Oltimer, what are your thoughts on the flap mechanics and the potential hangups when the wing flexes? I remember we briefly discussed this many months ago, but only remembered when I was talking about my project at the local swapmeet yesterday.

Mike

Props4ever 11-02-2008 03:22 PM

Captain huh?!?!? Never thought of it like that. I was just another guy sharing a build. ;)

My outboard panels are basically done. I left off working on my righthand outboard flap. I will then need to construct my ailerons, then I will begin the firewall alignments. BUT, before I can do anything, I must overhaul and re-inventory my workshop. When I left, I packed everything into every corner. Somethings I have located, but there are many parts and tools I still cannot find. I am in no hurry, but it will be nice to return to the days of fingers glued together and engineering solutions for the problems of this build.

Mike
Yeah man ur the Captain of this madness boat mate!..hehe
I went back to see your and Travis's outer wings built, man those are more complex then i thought!!, HOLY!!!!..wow so much problems in the laser cut kits is shame in a way but the way both of you guys managed to work around the problems deserve a Salute from me!...I Salute both of ya Captain/Commander and his wing man!!...
I guess since i will have to cut all the parts myself for the outers i will ask for your assistance then as no point now to bother you guys for it even with questions..

Sam

oltimer 11-02-2008 05:45 PM

Mike;

Welcome back! I guess the best way to test that theory is to lift the plane up by the wingtips and actuate the flaps! If they work O.K. its not an issue. If they bind we all have a problem. Given the stiffness of the structure I don't expect problems. That is one reason that I put carbon fiber strips on my wing main spars all the way to the tip. Also we ALL have an aluminum tube that extends somewhat beyond the outboard engines. With this adds additional stiffness to the wings I don't forsee a problem but it's good to discuss it.

Frank

schwatd 11-02-2008 10:17 PM

Hello Mike!!!

Glad you made it back safe and sound. Hey what's this Captain stuff? You get demoted? You told me you were a General?!?! I think somethings a little FUBAR down there in Jack Daniels land.

I've got nothing new to report except I've moved and once I get the garage cleaned up I will have a fabulous work shop, plenty of space, and a fridg for those tall long neck brown glass bottles of mistake dulling fluid. Mike, I know why you don't want anymore crowds at your maiden flights, but I think it was our April Fool's joke that actually jinxed the Hawkeye not the crowd. Send you some pix's when I get everything straightened around, we've been shooting off rockets to bide the time, shot a 7' tall rocket called the DUDE, it is gas filled for body rigidity and flys great. Even caught the flame out of the rocket motor, anyway, glad you're back PM me and we'll catch up.

InboundLZ 11-03-2008 07:01 PM

Talk about HUGE GIANT scale models, well here is one that is head turner and true inspiration to every giant scale C130 modeler, You have to see it....

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKvEw...eature=related
Does anyone have contact information for these guys? I would love to get in touch with them.

Please Advise

Dad_Roman 11-03-2008 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102

Talk about HUGE GIANT scale models, well here is one that is head turner and true inspiration to every giant scale C130 modeler, You have to see it....

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKvEw...eature=related
Does anyone have contact information for these guys? I would love to get in touch with them.

Please Advise
Why dont you send him a message?

Click the vid...

Click the guys name...

Click send him a message...

He was signed on yesterday so he is around. Good Luck.

Props4ever 11-15-2008 06:16 PM

Any updates from any of the on going projects, it's been quite for some time on here.

My Update:

The fellow i am suppose to get my Herky bird from had a severe stroke last week and half ago, atm he is in slow recovery stages and back home after spending a time in hospital. Until he doesn't feel good again i have postponed my trip. I wish him fast and speedy recovery and want to see him up and running again soon!!.

Until then i will be seeing and learning from these ongoing C130 projects..Captain Mike where are you!!!!

dmcconneyherc 11-15-2008 10:18 PM

Hello all,

I unfortunately do not have any pictures at this point but here is my progress so far.

I have built the fuselage including the 15" extensions. Worked out just fine. I split the fuselage at FF18, using 1/4 one piece former on both sides of the joint and joined the 2 halves with 8 bolts. I have also built a scale flight deck with instrument panels, overhead panels, seats, control yokes, nav station and sleeping bunks. Looks great. Just hope it stands up to the vibration (crossing fingers).

I have moved the wing joint to wr4 instead of wr10, used 1/4" former on both sides of the joint and join the wings with 3 bolts for each wing. The wings are also completed (ribbing only). I have not done any skinning of the plane yet. Not until I have all systems working.

I have finallized the design for the flaps and the main landing gear. I will be using servos connected through shaft couplers to threaded rod. This will work as a jack screw.

I have also decided to use a rotary drive system for the control surfaces and hide the control rods.

I have been in touch with RCV Engines regarding the RCV 90-SP engines and VarioProp 4 blade 15x12 propeller set up. They believe there should be no problems with this set up for this aircraft although they suggest purchase 1 set first to confirm performance.

I plan on doing the same joint work in the vertical and horizontal surfaces.

If all goes well (LOL), I should be ready to start ground runs in the spring or early summer (again crossing fingers).

Dave

Props4ever 11-16-2008 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: dmcconneyherc

Hello all,

I unfortunately do not have any pictures at this point but here is my progress so far.

I have built the fuselage including the 15" extensions. Worked out just fine. I split the fuselage at FF18, using 1/4 one piece former on both sides of the joint and joined the 2 halves with 8 bolts.

Dave
So this means that you have actually stretched the fuselage to replicate your model to C130-30's specs!, or if you are doing civil version L-100 then stretched to L-100-30 specs...that would really be kewl model and unique also.

Cant wait to see pictures of you creation Dave!...

dmcconneyherc 11-16-2008 05:11 PM

Hi,

I am planning to do the herk as a C130-30 with the current Canadian Forces paint scheme. I would have loved to do the C130J but no luck on scale versions of the R391 6 blade propellers.:(

Only 2 things I have left to engineer is the opening of the Paratroop overhead doors and the nose gear and doors. I think I will use the Jet-tronic Super Flexible Gear Door Sequencer. I still have to design the nose gear strut and shock system. I don't like the stock stuff and I don't feel like spending $650.00 for the Robart stuff. I am also creating my own fowler hinges. $81.90 USD for 4 Robart hinges. Kind of pricey.

I will get pictures asap. Especially of the flaps and landing gear. Bird is sitting at .5" under 9.5 feet long with the extensions.

Dave

Props4ever 11-16-2008 05:39 PM

I didn't knew RCAF have stretched Hercules in there fleet atm!, i know they have ordered few C130Js though....

Yeah i would like to see how you have designed your Fowler flap hinges and system. I tried many different ways and hinge types to get Fowler flaps working on my Super Constellation but nothing really helped until a friend showed me his design on his TU95 and it looks to be way to go in my model. My problem is the limited space in flaps bay and getting flap to move out all the way and the turn down for full deployment.

Yep Robart stuff is expansive at times and if you can design your own ways and save few bucks then i'm up for it too.

dmcconneyherc 11-16-2008 09:30 PM

Actually to be honest, Canada does not have any -30s. I fell in love with the RAF ones when I was in the CAF. I thought the RAF in-flight refueling probe was great too. CAF doesn't have any of those either. Oh well. They at least got the Globemaster which I thought was a good choice.

When I get the flaps built, I will post pics and info. My idea is not that hard. The landing gear should be cool too.

Dave