RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   OV-10 Bronco 81" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/566432-ov-10-bronco-81-a.html)

gsmith6879 12-07-2011 12:48 PM

RE: OV-10 Bronco 81

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

You guys recommend the Super Tigre .75 or .90 for this plane?
I agree with Doug. I used a pair of GMS .76 on my first Bronco (21 pounds) and flew at half throttle most of the time. I lost the right engine during the first flight and got it back with minimal damage. I added a full time glow system and got about 50 good flights before I failed to follow the other rule with twins on glow. Always point the nose vertical with both engines at full throttle before every flight. One engine sagged at low altitude at full throttle. Made a ugly mess on the asphalt.

BadLemon 12-07-2011 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

How about a real big one with dual turboprops........

Would be awesome! But I couldn't afford $9000.00 dollars in turboprops! I did see a video once of a 1/3 scale Bronco with turboprops it really sounded awesome! I think I would be too afraid to fly it.

aeroscale 12-07-2011 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got the really big one (9'), two in fact, if you'd like to provide the twin turboprops....like the Wren 44.

Rich

BadLemon 12-07-2011 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

I've got the really big one (9'), two in fact, if you'd like to provide the twin turboprops....like the Wren 44.

Rich

Now that would be cool!

Rich

Say if you get your parts problem worked out will there be a chance of the plans and part for your 109" Bronco in the near future. Also form your pictures of your 109" Bronco I see you made scale cowls and it looks like you built up the horizontal and vertical stabilizers to be more scale as well. Can you give us a run down of what you added to your 109" design and how does this Bronco fly compared to your 81" version.

aeroscale 12-07-2011 03:02 PM

BadLemon,
You're right about the 109" version being more scale than the previous two, smaller sizes. In fact, the 109" is a totally different airplane with scale airfoils on both the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces. The canopy was lofted in 3D CAD and the file used to MasterCam a mold from appropriate material. As I mentioned, molds were also made for the cowls, nose and rear caps from which fiberglass parts may be produced. All I really need to do now is to finalize the drawings.
As far as flying similarities; the big one flies even better than the 80"! Both my electric and gas versions fly like "cruisers", very stable, predictable and with no quirks at all. As a matter of fact, I loaned my tan camo electric to Sean Curry and he really dazzled the spectators at Monster Planes; most found it hard to believe that it was electric powered. With the cost of electric motors, ESC's and batteries continuing to come down, large electric twins are becoming quite practical as R/C models. What was really cool though, was the sound......not quite turboprop but way quieter than gas.

Rich

BadLemon 12-07-2011 05:09 PM

Thanks for the run down Rich! Very impressive, do you know if there was video shot of your Bronco at Monster Planes? I've watched both of your videos on your web-site never get tired of Bronco videos!

rinnander 12-07-2011 08:22 PM

Jerry,

Good news about the DLE 20cc engines :D What size gas tanks are you going to use? I think tower hobbies here I come to get my DLE's. Can't wait to see the pics. Did you have to use the aluminum bulkheads you bought?

Paul

BadLemon 12-10-2011 03:41 PM

Came across this video of the OV-10 Bronco in the Philippine Air Force. I never knew that there was a version of the Bronco that used 4 bladed props! There is even a pic of a bronco with a
3 barrel swivel gun turret mounted to the bottom of the fuselage.

I was talking to a couple of guys at a model show back in October about the Bronco and one older guy told me there was one Bronco with a set of 4 mini guns mounted to the weapon pylons and the rear operator was equipped with night vision goggles and they use this Bronco to make strafing runs up and down the Ho Chi Minh trail in Vietnam. I've been looking for proof of this setup on the Bronco but couldn't find anything but the gun turret. has anybody heard this before?

video http://www.latinamericahd.com/watch....&v=Cc7rQ7Fg77w

AmishWarlord 12-10-2011 05:12 PM

Sounds like an idea I'm working on. I was thinking of doing a tank killer Bronco with four 40mm Bofurs cannons in the fuselage and eight hellfire missles under the wings.

BadLemon 12-10-2011 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That would be nice but I want proof the a miniguns where put of Bronco I don't think this is true but it would of been awesome if the bronco was setup like this. I've have searched on the net but can't find any proof. But if true can you imagine what that sounded like 4 miniguns firing at once. See video times 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ELhy4_0hM

AmishWarlord 12-11-2011 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know what you mean though by wanting proof though.

On the paintball field my son and I used to play at was a guy that was in the Gulf War. He told me that he was his platoon's machine gunner. I asked him is he used the M-60 or the SAW M-21. He said that they had found a crashed A-10 and had taken the GE Avenger out of it. They sawed off the barrels and used that as their machine gun. I just grinned and said "Wow that must have still been a handful to carry!"

aeroscale 12-11-2011 05:57 AM

.......not to mention the ammo drum!

BadLemon 12-11-2011 07:30 AM

They must of got Jesse Ventura to carry it for them! "I don't have time to bleed". The GAU-8 Avenger Cannon weights just over 600lbs alone and that is with out the machine feed drum. Heck I don't think the Cyberyne T-800 Terminator could carry the avenger. :D Ok time to stop....

jbarnes 12-11-2011 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul, took some photos of the DLE20 install for you. I didn't get a chance to work on the plane this weekend due to Christmas chores the other half had planned for me. Remember that this is the kit version and not the ARF. I added another former to get the Seirra scale retracts to mount up properly. If I had to do that again I'd probably not put another former in and that would have freed up some space to move the fuel tank back. The DLE20 is mounted to the mount I pointed you to earlier with the carb rotated 180. This puts the throttle and choke at the top of the mount for easier connections to the servo's. But, this puts the needles under the motor and basically unaccessible. For me this is not a issue as I break my motors in on a Aeroworks Proxy and the needles should not need adjusted after break in. There are 1/2" spacers behind the plate which puts the prop at 4.5 inches which according to my plans is just about right. The fuel tank is standard Dubro 8oz. Note how the tank is offset to the side to allow room for the throttle servo. 8oz should give you plenty of flying time, I have a 4oz on my proxy and can fly about 8 minutes at full throttle. The ignition unit will fit under the tank mount with the plug wire going out the bottom corner. Let me know if you need any more information. I won't get to connecting everything up until after I get it covered which I'm sure is going to be another month.

AmishWarlord 12-12-2011 03:08 AM

LOL, looking at that photo of the fuel tank, servo, and carburetor locations I see fun times ahead for you. ;-)

rinnander 12-12-2011 07:52 AM

Jerry,

They look good. I didn't get a chance to work on my bird all weekend either. I think I need to get the struts I want and get them in before the engines and fuel tanks. I am happy that the DLE 20's fit, I hope by the end of this holiday season I can start working more in what I call my hanger (garage). Thanks for the photos and keep up the good work on your bronco.

Paul

jbarnes 12-12-2011 07:56 AM

Ya I know its going to be tight. Haven't built a warbird in a long time and I forgot just how much trouble warbirds can be. Retracts, etc. are just a pain in the neck. Had a bunch of balsa that needed to be used and that started this whole mess. Can't wait to wire this thing up with all those connections that need to be made!

BadLemon 12-12-2011 08:38 AM

Hi Jerry

If I could make a suggestion I would use vibration dampers on you engine mounts with your setup. You've got big engines one of the biggest I've seen to date in an 81" Bronco that will send a lot of harmonic vibration threw the frame that has the ability shake things loose. Also I've seen guys use triangle stock in the corners for extra strength for thous Big Bad Boys you have! Nice work!

BadLemon 12-12-2011 08:58 AM

Jerry

Also if you look back at post 654 you will find a picture that gsmith posted of his firewall setup for 15cc gassers similar to yours.

Hope this helps

jbarnes 12-12-2011 09:03 AM

The problem with Gains is that he is too darn neat! I can't look at his pictures and then go down into my shop and look at my work. It makes me ill.

gsmith6879 12-12-2011 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: jbarnes

The problem with Gains is that he is too darn neat! I can't look at his pictures and then go down into my shop and look at my work. It makes me ill.
Neat...nah...I only show you the good stuff.

You will note that I didn't post any photos of the fuel tank area after I stuffed everything in behind the firewall. By the time I got the fuel tank, ignition module, ignition battery pack, ignition switch, and some way to operate the choke, there was no room left....period! Your 20s will use up the same amount of space behind the firewall as my RCGF 15s but will have tons more power.

BadLemon 12-12-2011 11:04 AM

I know what you mean Jerry

Gaines does have an awesome shop to work in that would make Tim Alan Grunt over!:D

gsmith6879 12-13-2011 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The new Bronco is taking shape. The tail feathers are complete as far as I can go until I get the 48" Nyrod for the elevator controls that I have ordered. These more scale shaped surfaces came out at 15.2 ounces with the horizontal stab and elevator glassed with 1/2 ounce cloth. After I get the Nyrods installed and the vertical stabs closed up it should be about 16 ounces.

BadLemon 12-13-2011 11:25 AM

Don't Look Jerry Gaines is posting pictures again!........ Too Late!!! :D

Looking great Gaines I can't wait to see the finished frame, so is the wing next?

jbarnes 12-13-2011 12:13 PM

Click on the fullsize pictures and you'll see some clutter on his build table!