RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   NEW KMP 95" B-25 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/7060787-new-kmp-95%22-b-25-a.html)

tevans55 09-03-2011 06:00 PM

RE: NEW KMP 95

TS-
I ran the wires out to the side through a piece of small plastic tubing I glued to the side of the plane. The tube is about 1/2" long and halfway between the servo arm and the steering arm on the strut. That way when the wheel retracts it stays out of the way. I also did this on my Hangar 9 B-25 after it hung up in the air once and I had to land it without a nose gear.

tail strike 09-03-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks tevans that sounds like it would work I'll have to cut the wires and redo everything.
But thats OK its no good the way it is.

Larry S

tevans55 09-03-2011 07:11 PM

TS-
I think you can use some blue Sullivan Nyrod tube and you won't have to cut your wires. Just unscrew your brass threaded rod from the clevis and it looks like it should slide right through. That is what I used on my ESM B-25. Good luck...mine work great.

tail strike 09-03-2011 07:30 PM

thanks that sounds good.
My PC couldn't handle the pick you sent all I got was a little square with a red X in it ?

tevans55 09-17-2011 11:30 AM

At this point I now have about a gallon of fuel through the DLE 20's and they are great running engines. I am new to gas and these engines require little adjustment. It is taking a little time to get reliable throttle transition at the low end but that is a breakin issue more than an adjustment issue. I have run the engines 5 times and they get noticebly better each time they run. I am breaking in with Vess 17x6 props. They are the recommended prop on the DLE 20 thread. The Jtec wrap around pitts mufflers sound great.

I have had a number of small vibration issues to deal with like screws falling out of servo arms...need to loctite everything with these gas engines...can't just rely on lock washers on the servos. The bullets even vibrated out of the machine gun belts in the nose turret! Still working with the engines on the ground at this point, but I am getting close to the maiden! By the way, the engines run 8,100 rpm at the top end and idle reliably at 1,900 during break in.

tevans55 10-13-2011 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I had my maiden on Sunday afternoon and she flew great. The plane had a nice rollout and climbed slowly while the wheels were retracting and then headed up at about 20 degrees. It took 9 clicks of down elevator to level. Probably due to 4 lbs of wheels/brakes/retracts on the mains. The plane is 33.5 lbs. but would fly level at half throttle. I flew for 8 minutes and put the flaps down 45 degrees and then the wheels. Still flew great and as I turned on final and pulled back on the throttle I immediately realized only one engine transitioned and the other was at about 3/4 throttle. The plane began to yaw and at about 6 feet in altitude I realized I was too fast and too much yaw to land so I went to full throttle and flew around the field while I devised a plan. The plan was to come in to about 20 feet at 3/4 throttle in a gentle nose down glide slope and kill the engines. This worked well but the plane did not flare due to low rate on elevator and no experience landing this particular plane. The plane hit the nose wheel hard and bent it and then the mains hit and broke the wings off at the fuse. The fuse has very minor damage and the wing tips have two small dings. The nose turret glass and tail turret glass I made both survived unscratched and intact. The ESM cockpit and top turret glass are shattered.

I hope to have it all repaired in about a month. The cause was the engine throttle rod which I had made. I used carbon fiber rods with titanium ends JB Welded. One of the rods vibrated loose. Learned a valuable lesson on this one. I ran these engines on the ground for 6 hours before flying and had several things vibrate loose. I wish this would have vibrated loose BEFORE the maiden.

I ordered a new plane from ARF PROS on Tuesday morning by phone and it was on my porch Wednesday at 2 pm. The first plane delivery took 9 months and the second took 29 hours. The only bad thing is that the new plane has no stab/elevator in the box. I have notified ARF PROS and they are figuring out what to do. I sure hope I don't have to send it back...but I do want the whole plane.

What a great flying plane...I only wish I could have tried out those brakes on the first flight!!

Photos are of some of the damage.

Eldher 10-14-2011 05:27 AM

Sorry to hear that she crashed on landing. Glad to hear though, that one flight was enough to sell you on her flying abilities.

Look forward to your report on the next mission :-)

Junior55 10-15-2011 06:48 AM

sorry to see that happen. i have finish the same plane but i have a problem with the wings panel one of them have the same problem alot of the guys had before with the down the darhial.i have call sand emails to the people i both the plane and nothing. it being a few months,any body know or any information were or i could get in touch to see if they could help me or get a replace the wingpanels. any infor on will be helpful thank you jr.

Eldher 10-15-2011 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Junior55

sorry to see that happen. i have finish the same plane but i have a problem with the wings panel one of them have the same problem alot of the guys had before with the down the darhial.i have call sand emails to the people i both the plane and nothing. it being a few months,any body know or any information were or i could get in touch to see if they could help me or get a replace the wingpanels. any infor on will be helpful thank you jr.
the original shipment of kits had this problem. The defect was in the wing center section, not the tips. The plane will fly this way. One guy also fixed the problem himself. If you go back to the early parts of this thread you will find his fix.

jescardin 10-17-2011 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, our is already finished and flown.

I first leave images took in front of my home of the plane from various angles and my friend and co-builder Julio holding it for size reference.

About the three first flights next.

Best Regards.

jescardin 10-17-2011 04:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now for the flying!.

As explained in my first post at this thread, the model was checked, reassembled and weathered for a friend in north Spain an so, for the maiden flight, we drove nearly 400 miles to his home so as to stay the weekend there, maiden flight the model and show it at one model meet held at his club, Club de Aeromodelismo Lavanco.

The maiden was scheduled for Saturday 8th October and everything went perfect till we started and fine tuned the two SAITOs FG-20 after assembling the model; just as we pressurized again the gear and filled the tanks discovered that the right aileron servo had broken his Karbonite gear!.

As there were no signal of a touch to the aileron, we decided it was due probably to vibration although it was not felt during tests in Madrid nor during the fine carburetion at Lavanco field. As not us (FUTABA users) nor the model owner had a spare part for the servo a mate modeler offered and disassembled one from his aerobatic Cap for us but as other fellow offered bringing a complete servo in the evening, we thanked the offering for the gear and explained did not want to let the kind modeler without flying.

That way maiden was postponed to the evening also hoping the wing to decrease as during all the morning it was never bellow 15-18mph.

Finally, we were handled the new servo, substituted it on the wing and readied the model again for the maiden. It took off around 19:00 for first time and proved a nice model to fly.

We flew the model for around 10 minutes and during this flight used the retracts but as the wind was still in the 12-15mph range preferred not using the flaps neither for take off nor landing. We also had to trim down quite a bit as needed "tevans55" but aside that the B-25 flew perfectly.

You may watch that first flight in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGcfq_Zb8h8[/youtube]

I also include some photos of the model in the flying field. Hope you like them.

Best Regards

tevans55 10-17-2011 06:33 AM

Jescardin-

Just beautiful...great job. Your plane turned out very nice, congratulations.

jescardin 10-24-2011 01:19 AM

"tevans55" many thanks for your compliments!. But up to now I have told the nice story and you must know you are not the only one repairing his B-25.

Now for the sad end:

After maiden it in Saturday 8th October we went for more on Sunday the 9th. After repairing the right nacelle which unglued during landing due to an extremely poor gluing of original builder and an overall check of the model we faced the second flight with confidence.

After filling air and fuel and checking the gear, we started the engines, tested idle, medium and full power and took off without problems. Again, we flew for around 8 minutes confirming the good flying qualities and the required nose down trim; tested the flaps with gear up and extended and even performed a couple of low passes for the camera but after noticing that the engines didnĀ“t responded equal after the second one decided we had enough and went for the landing.

For that I selected gear down during and overhead pass and my helper confirmed; around the circuit we went and when on finals mid flaps were selected but then................where is the gear?. If they really extended then we had lost then during the circuit!. I opened the throttles again and switched the gear up and down several times without result. **** of Chinese gear we all though!.

Well we had to decide on the best procedure and were all sure waiting for running out of fuel was not an alternative. Down with him!. I retracted the flaps and made a complete circuit again. After completing it, selected full flaps down and asked my helper to kill the engines ignitions which he made just as we crossed the field limit.....................

Perfect landing!. The B-25 skidded over the grass for 10-15 meters veering to the right on the last moment launching small stones and dust over the wing just as real ones did during emergency landings. We got an even greater applause than for the first flight the day before.

After retrieving the model from the landing strip found only damages were the belly antenna and the propellers with minor -but minor!- scratches to the belly from the wing leading edge to the trailing one.

We disassembled the model for general checking and finding the sure air loss only to find that the gear didn't extended due to the servo control rod had disconnected from the air valve. We should had to shot who checked that the night before!.

Well, after confirming no major damage was suffered we connected again the rod and assembled the model again fitting APC 15x8" propellers as didn't have spare three bladed ones. Again checked everything, filled air and fuel and started the engines for a third flight. Now we found that the engines carburetors required readjusting again probably due to propellers change. We then adjusted and tested till were satisfied but noted some difference when throttling up with both engines running, although nothing to worry about.

Now as we accelerated for takeoff I noticed how the model veered to the right, something I compensated with rudder and nose gear but as soon as the wheels cleared the ground it was clear we didn't have the power of the first two flights!. As I clearly saw and hear the engines I knew we had not lost an engine but the right one didn't throttled up for any reason. I quickly retracted the gear and called for an emergency landing starting a left turn safely with the idea of completing a circuit but ready if we had not power enough to enter tail wind as it was nearly null at the moment.

Unfortunately the B-25 on his gentle right turn got behind a series of tents erected for taking the models off the sun got and I lost vision of it. Immediately did a quick run and was able of taking sight of the model banking gently to the left performing the planned turn but, again, got obscured by the tents and this time even running again and waiting for the model exiting the side of the tents I was unable of seeing it although were able of hearing the engines!. Now as the situation became dangerous for pilots and visitors I decided centering the controls and killing the engines.

I didn't sight the crash and as with real accidents several versions exist, from one that the B-25 rolled over to that where the model touched the ground softly. From the uneven crash site and from the damage limited to the removable nose, the cockpit and nose canopies, the right engine nacelle and wing tip -even the propellers didn't break1!- I believe the model crashed nose down with right wing low.

After checking that the Spanish distributor do not have available the model at the moment, we decided repairing it having an estimation for 2012 mid spring not due to damage extension but rather for another projects we need finishing.

We will keep you informed!.

Best Regards.

Jesus Cardin

jescardin 10-24-2011 01:30 AM

I forgot to comment that our B-25 was one with that feared anhedral wings and must explain that noticed nothing to worry about wit it even after missing power in the third flight.

Aside from scale look departure I may confirm from personal experience that it has no noticeable influence in the model flying qualities.

Best Regrads.

Jesus Cardin

tevans55 10-24-2011 09:10 AM

Jes-

Sorry about your plane. I have sent you a PM about the wing joiner.

My fuselage is finished and I am starting to remake new wings. I have ordered rivets and new ignitions. I decided to change out my ignitions to Rcexel ignitions since my spark plug wires and boots got torn up. I am looking forward to getting her back in the air...unfortunately I am now in a race with ol man winter!

jescardin 10-31-2011 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many thanks "tevans55" for the wing joiner drawing.

Here I include the images of the second flight forced landing without gear as the servo-to-valve rod came loose.

Hope you like even if they are a bit blurred.

Best Regards.

Jesus Cardin

tevans55 10-31-2011 07:23 PM

Jesus-
I just sent you photos of the nose art....hope they work. If not let me know.
Tim

jescardin 11-01-2011 05:05 AM

Tim, photos received. They are perfect for the repairing job.

You are really being a great help for us, sir.

Best Regards

Jesus Cardin

gunny11 01-04-2012 05:34 AM

Well, I figured which gas engines I could use. I could still go with the DLE 20's or RCS 22's. But if PTE made a 20cc class rear carb and rear exhaust engine it would be a cleaner install with the rear muffler.

http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...028&pd=4469112

tevans55 01-07-2012 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gunney-

The DLE 20's with the JTEC wraparound mufflers are a pretty clean install. Here are some shots of mine.

gunny11 01-07-2012 10:24 PM

tevans55,
Thanks,
I like JTEC mufflers. They do keep it slim on the side. Will keep that in mind. I have their P-51 TF Mustang pitts muffler for the DA-50.
Do you have a picture with the cowl on?

Gunny

tevans55 01-08-2012 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps. By the way, I cut about 1.25" off of each down tube on the muffler.

gunny11 01-09-2012 02:25 AM

Well, that doesn't look that bad at all. Yes it does help.
Thank you.

Gunny

What props are those? Master airscrews? and what size?

tevans55 01-09-2012 06:55 AM

Gunny-

The props are MA's. They are 16x8's. I have run the engines with them one time but, I am still breaking in the engines so I have been using 17x6 Vess props. They seem to be the recommended props for this engine and I have to say they perform very well. This plane is 34 lbs. and the Vess props fly it level at half throttle. Once I get a little more courageous I may try flying the 3 blade props.

Eldher 01-10-2012 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Gunny-

The props are MA's. They are 16x8's. I have run the engines with them one time but, I am still breaking in the engines so I have been using 17x6 Vess props. They seem to be the recommended props for this engine and I have to say they perform very well. This plane is 34 lbs. and the Vess props fly it level at half throttle. Once I get a little more courageous I may try flying the 3 blade props.
As a data point for you, I fly mine on 16x8 MAS props, driven by Saito 150's at about 8800 RPM. My field elevation is 5000' and my plane weighs 29 lbs. In this configuration, the plane pulls _very_ hard and flys very fast at full power. Cruise is half throttle, very comfortable scale looking speeds.