RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Twin Turbo Commander 1000 setup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/7809490-twin-turbo-commander-1000-setup.html)

jetfixr 11-03-2011 02:32 PM

RE: Twin Turbo Commander 1000 setup

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Glad to hear everything is going well with the family. Joining the Navy?!? That is great. Does she know what she will be doing yet? Dad still has the rudder to "that home made thing" hanging on his garage wall. That car looks fun! I can see why you don't fly R/C anymore. I also am finally getting my garage cleaned out some, so I should be able to work on the Commander some more soon! Hopefully I will have a better update in a week or two.

Jeff

jetfixr 11-10-2011 08:25 PM

After a very long pause, the Commander is finally back on the workbench! Tonight I worked on the control rods for the rudder and elevators. I am building up my own carbon fiber pushrods. I have the rudder and left elevator pushrods built, but I still need to install the leading edge of the right elevator and make the control horn before making that pushrod. I will post some pics of them when I have them done. It feels good to finally get back to working on it.

Jeff

jetfixr 11-12-2011 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight I installed the leading edge of the elevator and finished the control horn and pushrod for the right elevator. Now I think all of the tail controls are finished. I tried to make the controls as bullet proof as possible since there will be no access to them after the skin is installed. I do plan on making the tail cone removable so I can inspect them however.

Jeff

jetfixr 11-18-2011 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the tail controls are all in, now I can begin finishing the tail section. I finally figured out how to join the tail using two pieces of plywood epoxied to the front of two rear fuselage bulkheads. These go up into the tail all the way to the bottom rib. They are also in contact with the skin. This is a strong setup, and I am happy with the results. Now I can start sheeting and closing in the rear fuselage section.

stevehookem 11-30-2011 01:28 PM

Any new construction photos to share?

jetfixr 11-30-2011 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have just a couple. I have been pretty busy lately, but I started sheeting the aft fuselage section and lower portion of the vertical fin. I also sheeted the inner sections of the horizontal stabs and shaped the base below the rudder. It is all turning out pretty good. I have also been ordering some parts. I FINALLY figured out my lighting system. I decided just to buy one, so I purchased a generic giant scale RAM lighting system. I wasn't real happy with it, so I decided to try to figure out how to modify it more to my liking, and in the process I found Dimension Engineering. They have fully programmable 8 channel lighting systems. I downloaded the software, and within about 20 minutes I had designed a fully functional lighting system complete with 3 solid nav lights, 3 strobe lights that alternate 3 flash patterns between the wings and tail, and 2 flashing anti-collision lights. Now I just need the actual parts to arrive so I can install them and program them. I am also almost ready to start testing my power setup. More to come on that.

Jeff

jetfixr 12-03-2011 08:48 AM

I am trying to figure out what size and type of props to put on this, but I am having trouble. Does anyone know a good way to determine prop size? I am using 3 3s packs in series per side with Castle Phoenix 85HV ESC's, and Monster Power 110's. Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Leo 12-05-2011 06:12 AM

Hi Jeff,

As a reference, here´s a 19 lbs Pilatus powered by the Monster Power 110, 9s packs and 18x8 props
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvYooP1x8Ok[/link]
I guess you´ll get more power than you really need with 9s LiPo´s. I got good performance with 7s packs on my Palmer Shrike. This despite poor quality cells giving only 6200 RPM static with 17x10 APC-E.
Here´s another video showing an 11ft DH Rapide powered by AXI motors, 17x10 APC props and 7s LiPo´s. Very impressive:
[link]http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?page=winner010807[/link]
In case you would prefer 3-blade props, one step down down in both diameter and pitch is a common advise.

Hope this helps. Sorry for poor english grammar

jetfixr 12-05-2011 02:42 PM

Thanks! Don't apologize for your English, it is as good or better than most. I was wanting to use 17X10's or 18X10's, but the motor calculator I used said that would put the motors over amps with 9s. I may try 17X10's and see what happens in testing. Those videos are pretty encouraging. I think I will be fine on power as long as they are reliable.

Jeff

ir3 12-19-2011 10:29 AM

Hi Jetfixr,

I am gathering my supplies for a Palmer Shrike effort. Leo was very helpful in supplying me with the build instructions from Palmer plans. Great build on your part. Palmer did like to complicate things on his plans set. I ordered the CJM retracts. Hopefully the problems that you brought to his attention back in 2008 have been corrected. I will not be as keen in keeping to scale on the landing gear as you have so I think the CJM retracts will do the job. Thanks to Leo on the heads up for the need to relocate the mounting bearers.

Thanks for the great build thread and looking forward to see your progress.

Happy Holidays,

IR3

Iran Ausley

jetfixr 12-19-2011 08:32 PM

Iran,

Thanks! Good luck with your build. The design is a little overcomplicated, but it is very scale looking as Leo has proven. I am sure the CJM retracts will be fine. Feel free to post some pics and build info here if you want. If you start your own build thread make sure to post a link so I can keep up. I have done a little more to mine in the past couple of days. I put some more sheeting on the rear fuselage section, and worked on the tailcone area some. I also received my lights, and all I can say is WOW! They are great and I can't wait to get them put on. Hope you can get started soon.

Jeff

ir3 12-23-2011 08:35 AM

A question for Jeff and others who built the 118" Palmer Shrike. Palmer calls out Saito FA-91's, one counter rotating, for power. My guess is that he assumes the flying weight is close to 21lbs. From all of the chatter, the flying weight seems to be closer to 25-26 lbs. Will the FA-91's now be under power for this weight. On some threads, YS110's or YS120's were used. Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Iran

jetfixr 12-23-2011 06:29 PM

Having never flown one I can't comment on power, but there are a couple of others here who have. Leo has one that has flown with both nitro and electric power, so he is probably the best to answer this question. My guess would be .91's would be the lowest you would want to go.

Jeff

Leo 12-25-2011 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: jetfixr

My guess would be .91's would be the lowest you would want to go.

Jeff
I agree with Jeff.
My plane was initially powered with a pair of OS 91 Surpass engines and I got about 9200 RPM static with APC 14x7 props, I was quite happy with the performance when flying at the local field with a paved runway.
However, when flying from a grass strip on a hot summer day the plane may be underpowered. I got mail about 3 years ago from a guy in Singapore who had built a beautiful OS 91 Surpass II powered, 26 lbs. Palmer Shrike. The plane refused to take off from his grass strip at a temperature of 32 C. (90 F?) He later replaced the engines with YS 110´s with satisfactory results.

I dont think Palmer´s suggestion with counter rotating props will make much difference on the Shrike in a "one engine out" situation. The plane has a low power to weight ratio and the engines are located close to the fuselage. I have no single engine experience on my Shrike but the full size Commander has a reputation of being one of the most docile twins ever built on one engine. There is no full size Commander built with counter rotating props as far as I know.

Regards, Rune (Leo)

ir3 12-28-2011 11:01 PM

Jetfixr,

I will probably get the Saito FA-91S engines and not concern myself with the counter rotation issue.

On the landing gear, do you have all of the Robart part numbers for your gear, particularly the offset mains and the nose wheel strut and retract mechanism. I believe somewhere in this thread you mentioned the 638RS but not the strut.

Thanks,

IR3

jetfixr 12-29-2011 08:24 PM

Yes, 638 is what the nose retract is, but I don't remember what the strut is because I purchased it locally. It is just a standard robart forked nose strut though. The main retracts are #150's, but I changed out the lower leg with an offset one. I believe the part number of the lower leg was 622-214A and 622-213A. I hope this helps!

Jeff

ir3 12-30-2011 07:20 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Have it all on order. Looking forward to the start of the build this spring.

Happy New Year to all,

Iran

jetfixr 12-31-2011 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year! Just a small update... I have sheeted all of the rear fuselage that I need to hold it in place, and then I removed it. Now I can finish sheeting it and I will hold its shape. It is starting to look better and better.

ir3 01-15-2012 02:43 PM

Hi Jeff,

Your build is progressing very nicely. Between your thread and Mike's there is plenty of reference material.

I posted this on Mike's site but I think that no one is monitoring that thread any more. I settled on RCV 90SP engines. In my zeal to acquire parts for this build I paid no attention to the final size. The biggest expense for this build is going to be the transportation. This monster is 8' long!!!!! It's great that the wings come off but a vehicle to transport the fuse will be a problem. I am thinking that I will split the fuselage, probably just behind the wings or the side pods Ala Palmer's Shrike. This joint can be made quite strong. There are so many access panels on the actual C-130 for maintenance that I could gain access to bolt the two halves together and not lose any scale values. A lot cheaper fix than buying a very large SUV or Pickup.

Iran

ir3 01-15-2012 02:47 PM

Hi Jeff,

OOPS, I mistook this for the C-130 build but would appreciate any comments on splitting the fuse on the C-130.

Iran

jetfixr 01-16-2012 08:59 AM

No problem! I don't really know what the plans look like for the C-130, but the only real problem I can think of is the rear cargo door, but I am sure it is possible with a little thought.

Jeff

ir3 01-16-2012 09:06 AM

Thanks Jeff,

Still waiting for the wood pack from PCK for the Shrike. I will be in Washington DC in Feb and plan on getting a lot of pictures of Bob Hoovers Shrike. My plans are to use the exact color scheme and sponsorship markings. If you would like some pics, let me know.

Iran

jetfixr 01-16-2012 09:55 AM

That will be really neat! Thanks, but I have all of the pics (and the real airplane) that I need. Enjoy the museum. I have always wanted to see that.

Jeff

jetfixr 03-18-2012 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I still haven't given up on it, but I have been really slowed down again. I have been getting a little build time in lately though. I have installed the lighting into the rear fuselage section, located and cut the hole for the lower anti collision light, and finished planking the rear fuse section. I think it turned out pretty well.

Jeff

maxiemac 05-08-2014 11:15 PM

Hi jetfixr - I wonder if this thread could be brought back to life as I would like to know how your project progressed - plus at long last I have started my 'Shrike' after some 5 years of delay.

I have to say, so far I have found some disappointments in both the drawn plans and the cut kit. I think I saw an earlier reference to some problems, the same type as I am now experiencing - things such as fuselage stringer slots not in alignment, former 19 cut shorter than what is on the drawing and the top to bottom dimension of the fuselage not being the same as the formers supplied (that match those on drawing one (except f19) - I could be in for a lot of head scratching moments as I continue with this build.

Hope I get a reply.

cheers - maxiemac - smile it don't hurt :)