RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   "Nosen Cessna 310 Club" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/8623774-%22nosen-cessna-310-club%22.html)

Bill Diedrich 11-22-2009 03:05 PM

RE:

Got an interesting phone call from a young man in Monroe, Louisiana, wanting to
know what the all up weight was on most of our Nosen 310's were. He is looking to do
one using the G & L Hobbies glass fuselage & parts, Robart retracts, "ELECTRIFIED".
He is very aware of the huge cost of all the electric components required to power such
a large model, and just wanted ball park weights on some of the current flying models,
preferably those with 120 to 160 4-strokers in them.

Anybody out there have the info he is looking for?

Bill D.

Props4ever 11-22-2009 03:20 PM

RE: RE:

Very nice plaque Bill, I am sure Bud will appreciate and like it very much.

Thread is going on pretty good and i lot of good building here, make me wanna get another one of these 310s once again.....

Sam
Club member # 13

handyman_alw_ 11-22-2009 04:47 PM

Having three nosen 310's and all weigh in pretty close they are all in the 35lbs range ready for fuel.

Allen

DelRay 11-23-2009 08:42 AM

Bill,

Mine weighs in at about 37 pounds. The two, new Saito 1.20's might have added a little more weight from previous, but not that much. That's waiting to be fueled like Allen mentioned.

Bill Diedrich 11-25-2009 09:12 PM

RE:

I would like to extend my "Best Wishes" for all of you here in the
Nosen Cessna 310 Club for a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Day and
enjoy giving thanks for all that we have in our families and our hobby.

God Bless you all and thanks for making this growing thread possible.

Bill D.

DRCRAIG 11-28-2009 05:08 PM

Bill,
Please sign me up as the newest member of the Nosen Cessna 310 club.
Thanks again for your help with the drawings,
Craig
Battle Creek, MI

Bill Diedrich 11-28-2009 07:44 PM

RE:

As requested we have a new member of our "Nosen Cessna 310 Club".

#35....DRCRAIG..............Michigan

Welcome to our group here Craig, look forward to any contributions that
you can make to our growing thread here.

Bill D.

F2G-1 12-07-2009 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey,
I feel left out.
I'm almost finished with my Hostetler 310R, and I dont know of ANYONE else that has one!

not one single person.

so lonely......

Can I be an honorary member?

P-P-Please?

DelRay 12-07-2009 08:08 AM

F2G-1,
I can't say as far as the honory member status, but I will say she looks good even in primer.;)

thisoldman 12-17-2009 09:21 AM

RE:

have not been on for awhile.. just too many things going on.. Now at the point of getting back to some things i need to do. I need a new shop. Mine is way too small. I have both the top flite 310 and the nosen 310.. I have the nosen started but had to put on hold for awhile because of build a p38 for a friend. Now it is getting time to get back on the 310. I had started to put the fuslage togeather but decided to get the fiberglass one. So now i better get it ordered. One of the things i have been looking at is making the wing tip tanks, real tanks. will take some modification to make it work but would look great to refuel it like the big one.
Glad to see so many that are interested in this great plane. I have been building models since 1953 so guess i have been around for awhile. Im retired and thought would have lots of time to build and fly, but seems always something that has kept me busy. remodeling the house for the wife.. Never retire, you work harder then when you were working for a living.
as for the short kit. Would like to get ahold of another one. Most of my planes are large scale.
Just thought you might like to hear from someone that has not been on for awhile.
Keep up the great work and maybe by spring another 310 will be crossing the skys.
al

warbirdmustang 12-17-2009 03:03 PM

Fellas,
Just an alert to let everyone know... Hallmark has been makin airplane ornaments for the Christmas tree for several years, for plane nuts like us, and this year the ornament in the series is... you guessed it... a Cessna 310. Nice little ornament, painted blue and white. I already have one on my tree. These things sell out, so if you want one, get to a Hallmark store quickly!
Bryan

thisoldman 12-17-2009 07:53 PM

RE:

started to round up everything and get back on it again.. Have to finish clearing off the work bench. figure out where i left off and pick up from there.. guess ill have to get set of retracts for it. Had a set of likes but sold them. wish i had kept them. Will look around for a set and check ebay.

Bill Diedrich 12-24-2009 10:29 AM

Just want to take a moment wish all of the
"Nosen Cessna 310 Club" members a very Merry Christmas
and a Healthy & Prosperous New Year in 2010.

It has been a great year as our membership started
on March 28th and is now sitting at 35, pretty decent
for a reign of only 9 months here on RCU

Bill Diedrich
Ventress, Louisiana

frankeldan 12-24-2009 11:02 PM

Merry Christmas Bill and The 310 club.

Regards,

Dan

frankeldan 12-26-2009 09:43 AM

Hi guys,

Does anyne have some detailed pics on the G&L conversion? My original fuse is framed up but I want to go with the fiberglass fuse. Will the formers and such fit in the G&L if I dimantle mine and put them in?

Regards,

Dan

CK1 12-26-2009 11:51 AM

frankeldan , The formers from the kit do not directly fit the glass fuselage from G&L . You can use them to help make templates to create your own formers . Sorry I don't have any pics to show. I used the outline of the Nosen formers to help create the templates for the G&L formers . I have not finished it yet so I can't offer much more useful input..

frankeldan 12-26-2009 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: CK1

frankeldan , The formers from the kit do not directly fit the glass fuselage from G&L . You can use them to help make templates to create your own formers . Sorry I don't have any pics to show. I used the outline of the Nosen formers to help create the templates for the G&L formers . I have not finished it yet so I can't offer much more useful input..

Thanks,

That's what i figured. I'll just use them as a template to make new ones.

but ... If anyone out there can post pics of thier 310 Nosens.. it would be helpful. Especially landing gear installs, engines, etc. I've collected alot of info over the years, but now i'm getting serious about finishing this one.

Thanks,

Dan

Red Raider 12-26-2009 05:35 PM

RE:

I've started on my 310 now and the have the fuselage framed up. Buildining it totally from scratch using Nosen plans and templates. I made some measurements and re-drew some of the wing parts to replace the fixed gear with LDS retracts. I plan to post some pictures as soon as the holidays are over. Can't really go work out in the shop with kids & grandkids and all the holiday festivities going on. I'm using Saito 100's. Anyone have any experience with that set-up??

frankeldan 12-26-2009 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Raider

I've started on my 310 now and the have the fuselage framed up. Buildining it totally from scratch using Nosen plans and templates. I made some measurements and re-drew some of the wing parts to replace the fixed gear with LDS retracts. I plan to post some pictures as soon as the holidays are over. Can't really go work out in the shop with kids & grandkids and all the holiday festivities going on. I'm using Saito 100's. Anyone have any experience with that set-up??
<font color="#3300ff">Pro-Link Hercules Series Retract Set [HR-700]</font>

Are these the retracts that you went with?

I am very familier with the FA-100 . i have quite a few. I would prolly go with the FA-125 for this plane due to the weight.

I plan on putting a pair of 30 cc gassers in mine.

Any tips and pics on your landing gear would be appreciated.

regards,

Dan

Red Raider 12-27-2009 12:16 AM

Hey, Dan:
Yes, those are the ones. They're actually made by a company called Dreamworks in Florida. Not associated with Disney, but my dealings with them so far has been exactly what you would look for in a RC company. Quck response on questions, answer the phone when you call, etc. I've been trying to get a response from LADO trying to get some repair parts for nearly a month. I bought 2 sets of their retracts and have been actually using them. I think I'm one of the few guys to actually have them. I would've got a set of their actuators to use on these retracts. They are really good products, but when you can't even get a response from them, you have to make the decision to go elsewhere. There are only about 3 RC companies that I will deal with anymore and Dreamworks is one of them. Really nice people.

As far as the landing gear modifications, the existing drawing shows the fixed gear wire placement and that should be the center line where the retracts should go. I measured the width of the LDS retracts and centered the dimensions on the this center line. Then, drew the new cut-outs on the rib doublers. I may use slightly heavier plywood for these pieces than is called for on the plan. Lots of opportunity here to avoid tearing out landing gear unnecessarily. I'll take pictures of this mod later in the week.
Steve

AmishWarlord 01-09-2010 02:54 AM

RE:

I wanted to build one of these planes in the early 90's but was talked out of it by a very negative minded hobby shop owner "Nosen kits are junk, You'll have to replace all the wood, twin engine planes only last as long as the first engine out then they spin in and crash".

Well since then I've learned to disregard negative people and have a bunch of twins on my building list. The Nosen 310 is on the to do list.

Bill Diedrich 01-09-2010 08:25 AM

RE:

Hey guys, here's wishing all of you a Happy , Healthy & Prosperous New Year
for 2010. Don't know what happend to all of last year but it seems to have
"Flown By" rather quickly.

I would also like to welcome our newest member in 2010:

#36....AmishWarlord............North Carolina

Looking forward to all of your post in 2010.

Bill D.

Bill Diedrich 01-09-2010 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And a request from another gentleman that has a very nicely
done Nosen Cessna 310.

#37.....egemmill.................Oregon

Welcome Eric, we would sure like to see more pics of this beauty,
hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of posting the one you
e-mailed to me.

Bill D.

egemmill 01-09-2010 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Grandfather began building this kit back in 1978. I always loved it and remember thinking, when i was 5 years old, that when my grandpa was done with this thing i would just jump in it and take it for a quick spin! Unfortunately / fortunately, he never finished it. So in 2007 my father and i drove down to San Diego to pick up the unfinished beast and haul it home...to Oregon. After about a year and a half of pulling my hair out trying to complete this beautiful monstrosity, i finally saught help and advise...long stoy short the plane is finally complete AFTER 30+ YEARS and my granfather couldn't be more proud.

Regarding the spec's:

1/3rd scale Just a hair over 10ft
Weigh's 38lbs
Engines DL 50's with 24 oz tanks
20x10 3 blade carbon fiber props with 2 blade option as well
fully funtional split flaps / Air brakes
Century Jet Retracts (the nose gear is 12" long!)
Radio - 2.4 spektrum
All high torq digital servos
Fully Funtional Gear Doors all the way around
Balsa Ply build up Fiber Glass finish
GMC amazon green and Crystler Metalic lime PAINT SCHEME: My Grandmother (god rest her soul) LOVED GREEN! Enough said.

Engines were run in and all serfaces were tested, after many major and minor adjustments the plane is DONE. However, i know this is not what most of you want to hear...But...THIS PLANE HOLDS WAY TOO MUCH SENTIMENTAL VALUE TO FLY! THIS IS A MUCH DEBATED TOPIC within my group of friends and fellow pilots BUT I WILL NEVER NEVER EVER PUT IT IN THE AIR.

I have a Top Flite 310 that i fly as much as possible. That is my 310 flyer.

As soon as i figure out how to post pictures i will do so. I fully documented the build and have many dozens of photos.

frankeldan 01-09-2010 04:18 PM

Nice Job!!!!

I don't blame ya for not flying it. But .. I think it deserves a spin around the block for Grandpa.

Take lots of pics. I would love to see some closeups of the landing gear and doors. This plane is so majestic.. isn't it..

Later,

Dan