Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

custom truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
misfit138x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom truck questions

was thinking about creating a "bagged" s10 although i know i wont be able to use actual air ride. i was wondering if anyone has ideas on how to create the up and down movement and would like to make each individual wheel move like the real trucks. any input welcome and if anyone has any build pictures of one already done that would be awesome i know im not the only one thats wanted to do this, finally id like to go bigger than 1/10th scale because i want a big one so i can drag it and shoot sparks sorry if im posting in the wrong forum!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: custom truck questions

If your just looking for the up and down motion, You could use servos quite easily, with a airplane controller and airplane RX
think of mounting a servo to the upper shock mounting hole and using a shaft instead. realy the same way your steering moves, just moving your A arm up and down.
Bags are not to far out of the question, we have penumatic retract systems for airplanes, if you could figure out how to make the bags the other air parts allready exist
but the servos well give you alot of control, and is the route i would go with trying what your doing.
have considered it my self

And yes your in the right forum for the most part, afterall how common is airbags or hydraulics in the RC industry ? you stand out in a way here because we all do unqiue offball things
Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
misfit138x

do you think maybe you can give me some links (im a noob but my honcho crawler is spawing a disease i think) like to what servos if i can picture them better i think i can make it work and maybe if anyone knows of some good bigger scale truck bodys that would be awesome because if i cant get a body thats good enough im not gonna do it.. also maybe some insights on how to make it move i was thinking maybe a axial computer but i dont know if that would work or if i could actuate the servos to make it go up and down off of that... but the air thing sounds sweet so if i can actually see that parts i might try to make it work... btw i actually own a lowered s10 and i do body work for a living so if i can overengineer it im pretty sure i will lol... so if it fits under the body (which is why i want a huge body) ill use it!!

plus another question is with the frame i was going to bend up some brake line but i havnt really decided on how to "weld" it thought about solder but i doubt it would hold up and i dont know if a mig welder would just blow through the brake line, any input on this would be nice... i heard some guys braze it with mapp gas but some of the things ive seen that are brazed even when finished off look kinda of sloppy but maybe someone has had a better time with it...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Lorduss

If your using brake line brazing is the way to go as i understand, honestly i have yet to figure it out good enough to do chassies with, but in the crawling world like RCcrawlers.com and our own crawling forum, brazing is like walking, everyone does it without thinking about it, except for people like you and me lol
soldering is ok, but im not sure if solder well stick to brake lines the way you want, with brazing i think you can do some trick stuff, i have seen great examples.
soldering you may want to look up how to do it, im very good at soldering wires but ive never done structure with it.

the servos i would point you to would be very standard servos with a big of strenght, like a hightec 625 or 645MG, the kinda servo you would use in a tmaxx or revo or savage as a steering servo, standard case size. infact there are alot of 30-40$ servos that would fit this range, and cheap used ones sold on ebay, you realy have alot of options here because 4 of them would have a easy time lifting the truck i think your going to build (trying to figure out the weight to)
the fact your having trouble finding a big enough body might make you downsize the truck a bit to fit into what you can find, often times with projects (and trust me im a BIG Rc project guy)
i have to figure out what i want to do, figure out what i can buy (like the body) and basicly build around that because it becomes a limiting factor.

as far as controlling the servos, here your options get expensive, with a airplane radio you can control 4 servos with 2 sticks plus dials.
A project of mine i used a airplane radio to control 3 servos, 2 stick ran forward/reverse and turning, the other stick plus 1 dial controled the blade function. it worked very well like this and realistic.
a plus to my radio is being a computerised airplane radio i could combine functions, like in thoery with enough programming time you could control the entire truck with one stick, and lower and raise entirly with a dial, then the other stick would be used for gas and turning.
But you pretty much have to abandon the standard RC car radio system, with it being only 2-3 channels there is just no way of controling 4 independant sides without a airplane or other speciality radio like a scale RC boat radio even, but im pretty sure airplane would be better.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2944524/tm.htm]Another project of mine[/link] This here is another project of mine that is similer to what your doing with servos, if you notice from the pics i have 3 servos in the front controling this blade, i basicly just came up with this in a entire night, i had to mount a servo in a certin spot to get a certin movement and built mounts to get it there.
i wish i could come up with pictures for you, but picture a RC car shock mount, if you could mount a servo where the arm would sit near the top of the shock mount with a shaft going to the lower shock mount, then moving the servo would simply lift or lower that arm.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML]hitec 645 MG servo[/link] this might be a great servo for your project, standard size, common and cheap, or you may want to upgrade to a slightly more powerfull one, the nice thing is you have options in that exact same size of servo. you could get allmost twice the power out of one the same size, but for 3 times the cost, its just options.
that servo is rated 133 OZ at 1 inch arm, That is more than 8 pounds, a single one of these servos should lift a common 1/8 scale RC car like a revo or tmaxx, that is how much power is in these, 4 of them should have no trouble doing what your looking for.

As far as the penumatic side of things, Very very cool and i think doable, maby even allready done by a few havent looked into it, if i do rember correctly there are some german RC trucking sites that sell very very high quality big rig style stuff, but very very expensive, ill have to look up these links, but im pretty sure they do exist.
A RC airplane penumatics have a air cylinder you pump up with a bycle pump, servos control valves that open up to penumatic pistons in landing gear, to open and close them, you still need a servo per wheel to control it, but now you also need valves, airlines, and to buy expensively or make your own airbags.

options options options and its all about cost, airplane radio and those servos might set you back about $400 or so, the other options well defintly cost more because you well still need the airplane radio and smaller servos, plus all the penumatic gear. could easily cost 300 more unless you happen to have a lathe/mill and can make alot of the parts.
ill try to come up with more interesting links for you for this, but take the time to research for a bit, you well save your self alot of money.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Lorduss

And some other quick thoughts.
If you simply wanted to move the truck up and down without any independant movement, you could split 1 channel into 4, and with something as simple as a 3 channel Rc Car radio system (the standard) have a higher and lower set height and click between them with your 3rd channel switch.
but for precise, proportional and independant movement, airplane stick radio is your option i think.

[link=http://www.gardentrucking.com/products.tpl?action=search&cart=12892902505372413&eqCATEGORYdatarq=Hydraulics&eqMAJORCATEGORYdatarq=products&Titlesumm=t&Titlesort=1&max=10]Link to Hydraulics, RC scale[/link] quite pricy to rig up an RC car with these options, but this is the holy grail of cool, next to airbags anyways, infact click on alot of the links and look at this site, very very cool stuff, and in the case of the penumatic systems, each piston needs its own channel/servo.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jd_HMq2_Yk&feature=related]Here is a link to someone who did what your trying to do[/link] watch this video end to end, he shows how he mounted his servos, this should give you a great idea, like i said your just replacing your upper shock mounting position with a servo arm basicly, and connecting a shaft.
hope this helps
Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 PM
misfit138x

man you are a great help!!!! you really got my mind going but like in the video instead of doing it like that i was thinkin of doing a set up with a crawler axle and a 4 link... but to get more lift mount the servo to the link bars so depending on link bar length it could lift to like a 2:1 ratio!

i want it to look as realistic as possible and completely lay out... im not sure its just been an idea ive been kicking around and im not that great at understanding radios lol so i dont know if i could figure that out but it was just an idea maybe soon if i get bored enough ill start it worse that can happen is whatever body i end up with goes on my honcho if the project dosnt work and i have a few extra servos layin around... so i think i might attempt it ill keep you posted if i do
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 PM
misfit138x

what about this
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPM6000BR

could i use this with a 6 channel air radio?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Lorduss

Yes you can, but there are other things to consider, and specifics to know about.

Allthough im very very deep into this hobby, im not the most detailed person on radios and such, but i do know the basics and well run them down for you
That link is to a 2.4 ghz Robot RX system, Allthough well priced to be honest, applies it self to a 2.4 ghz transmitter system that is still typically more expensive, Yet a great system
For airplane radios and cars, we have 72 and 75 MHZ systems with crystals, these are common, quite old tech and are likely what you have in any of your RC cars
2.4 ghz is a new type of system that has more signal clairity, some other advantages and a disadvantage that realy wont effect you with a car.
That specific disadvanage is the 2.4 Receiver system requires more minimum voltage to run than previous tech, what has happened and still happenes is as you use your car/airplane, with a receiver pack, the voltage in the receiver pack well drop with time and use and drain, like say gusty conditions with an airplane demanding more power out of the servos dropping the voltage down fairly low, in 2.4 ghz systems people flying airplanes especially noticed a short period of time that the RX would completely lose signal from the TX while the RX voltage dropped to a certin point, then would regain it a moment later, sometimes not before a crash saddly, With a car this is not nearly as common or much of a problem when it does show up so it realy shouldnt concern you with difference unless you plan on flying planes with these later, with 2.4 ghz you well also get more range, another big plus. They are also crystall-less and can be used without conflict, with crystal based systems like you allready own you can run into signal problems with someone being on the same channel, using a airplane radio especially show cases this problem with crystals, we dont want to turn on our radio and crash someones plane, Chances are your not within a mile and a half of a flying field or any place people fly at all, But You have to know and check.
So now back to the standard crystal systems, typically 75mhz if i rember correctly, Cheaper, common, well do every thing you need, you just have to be carefull of clashing signals with someone flying.
technically when using a 6-9 channel airplane system, your supposed to use one built on a 72 mph Car frequency, This is realy not pratical for anyone to be honest as these conversions or special radios, RX's are expensive and semi rare, i doubt very few people go through the trouble.
My main airplane radio is a Futuba 9Cap (the same one i use for that snowcat and all my other multi channel projects) at the time it was 345 bucks new and probbably 6 years ago, with servos and RX, honestly i think you should hit that well under 200 now used or even less, maby ebay or even a local hobby shop. so realy not bad for all those parts and all of that function you would realy like this radio.
9 channels, all kinds of dials and switches to use, programming features i still havent figured out, it would be very handy for your project, as would any decent computer radio to be honest.
Before you go for the buy, you should probbably check out a local hobby shop of some kind, see if you can get your hands on a airplane radio and try to get some prespective for how your going to control a RC car and its raise/lowering system.

Also that RX you linked to is specific to robots, the speific function is has different from other RX's is a specific *cut off* ability, for the system your running you realy dont need such specifics, a very standard airplane receiver would work just fine, i use them in all of my projects.

it has alot to do with your route, im personaly one to budget the hell out of all my builds so im allways taking the cheap route first, a typical computer airplane system 6-9 channels (9 well give you more options) should be exactly what you need reguardless, crystalled radios or 2.4 is more of a price based decision, i would like to think realy not a whole lot more money, but more none the less.

there is also one more route of sorts i just rembered, allthough not all that different, i know from watching battlebots at times over the years, alot of the people controling the robots well actually have sort of a tray in front of them, holding 2 radios giving them certin functions, controling 2 different receivers on the bot. there is nothing special to it other than having 2 radio systems bolted into one car with different/more controls mounted togeather,
this would mean 2 receivers, 2 RX batterys on the car, but the same amount of servos, in my opinion controling a car with a stick is odd, the trigger and wheel work great and this would give you the option to put the bags on sticks and the driving controls on the standard trigger setup you probbably allready have and use.
just more options
Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 PM
misfit138x

yeah that makes sense i think my best bet would be to goto my hobby shop and just ask about some stuff they are mainly an airplane shop (the names aero tech hobbies) so they should be able to give me some insight im still debating on actually starting it im not sure how i could do the front suspension thats the only thing im puzzled about because i want it 2wd and was wondering if i could build control arms or how i could get a set to work on the truck... still alot of planning if i solve all the design bugs that might be motivation enough to complete it!!!!!