Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Radicon R/C Bus circa late fifties

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Radicon R/C Bus circa late fifties

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radicon R/C Bus circa late fifties

I found a Radican R/C bus in my Father's collection. I will be checking tomorrow to see if it still works. It's in great shape. Any interest?
The following users liked this post:
dharvey1 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radicon R/C Bus circa late fifties

got any pic's?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Steve Westphal

I WILL POST SOME PICS SOON
Old 05-17-2011, 05:54 PM
MSAGRO

I have a Radicon New Sedan circa 1956. Does anybody have info on this model?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM
MSAGRO

Here's the box it came in: The car works perfectly, but not much info on it. I only know that it works on the Marconi spark system to operate.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
moe7404

that is fantastic. you need to get an idea of its value and insure it. or put it in a valt
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
MSAGRO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg6CmiZ-_LQ

This is it in action.  I currently have it on eBay for sale for less than 1/10th of another one  listed.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM
RZielin
My Feedback: (1)

Pity to sell it really. Did it sell on e-Bay?
If not, you should consider selling or donating to a museum. I know the Strong Museum in Rochester NY has an extensive toy collection. If you still have it you should contact them.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
designprof

I'm sorry I got into this discussion much too late. However, the topic of Radicon vehicles is near and dear as I have a number of them and restore them as a hobby. They use a marconi spark-gap transmitter and receiver with a coherer. Primitive but very functional. They were indeed the first RC toy ever made, imported from Japan by Modern Toys, Inc. sometime around the 50's. For control, they used a set pattern of movement. Stop - forward - turn right - forward - turn left - forward - stop and then repeated. I received my first one for Christmas as a kid back in 1954 when I was 10. I've had a fascination for them ever since.

While I have a few of the busses, I am still looking for a Radicon Boat to restore. Alas, the ones on eBay are too pricey for my retired pocketbook.

The Radicon "Holy-grail" is the Radicon Robot. It uses the same system and control strategy as the bus and boat but is exceedingly rare and almost priceless.

I also have the similar Sonicon Busses. These were essentially the same bus body and chassis but the internals worked on sound. There was a "drum" inside with a needle balanced on it that our pick up vibrations from a whistle. The steering would rotate until a signal was received, then the bus would move forward in the direction the steering stopped in. There was a parabolic antenna mounted on the roof that rotated with the steering wheels and showed the direction the bus would move in when the whistle was blown.

If anyone has Radicon vehicles and needs advice, please email me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50852.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1739190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26897.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1739191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79759.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1739192  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Hoostas
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for posting that Designprof. Great info. I am a toy collector myself (beyond RC), so I find information like that fascinating. I collect things from when I was a kid also, I guess we hold those early memories dear.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Convert it to brushless! 8D
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
ChgoJim

Hello designprof: Can you tell me how much you charge to recondition the buses? I received one new back in the 50's. Still worked a few years ago, but not now. Transmitter still sparks, and if I apply 3 volts ectly to moter, it runs, but seems as if signal isn't getting to the bus. Any Ideas?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
papaed

Hi designprof and anybody else that can help
Hopefully you get this message. I was referred to this site by a vintage radio repair guy. I know nothing about R/C things but I need help with my recently acquired Radicon bus. I saw your reply to another person and I figured you were the one to talk to.

I have 2 buses and they both function in regards to the motors operating when batteries are installed and the control boxes "buzz' when the red button is pushed. Neither of them react toa the controller.I opened mthem up and found that one was missing what I call a "fuse" that is attached to the antenna insert o f the bus,. The other one had the "fuse" It isa glass tube with brass ends and copper mesh leads attached to both ends. it appears there are granules of some type in the glass tube. There is also a thin white wire(?) running the length of the fuse and terminating under neath the brass ends. I am sure you are familiar with this but I felt i should describe anyway. I can provide pictures of it. Additionally I only have one set ofthe antennas and I need another.

I repair old toys and have some pretty good results with the ordinary battery operated and wind ups but these have me stumped. They are both in greatphysicalshape and I am anxious to add them to my inventory.

Any information you can provide or services you offer would be appreciatedf Thanks Ed k
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM
ChgoJim

Hi papaed - Ed K:
Sorry, but I am also someone that is looking for help, but so far nobody has responded.

On 9/24/2012 I had askeddesignprof[/b]:Can you tell me how much you charge to recondition the buses? I received one new back in the 50's. Still worked a few years ago, but not now. Transmitter still sparks, and if I apply 3 volts ectly to moter, it runs, but seems as if signal isn't getting to the bus. Any Ideas?

ChgoJim - Jim S.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 PM
papaed

Hi Jim No ideas what so ever. I have no idea what a marconi spark system is as that is what it was described as having. Have you opened yours up and found the "fuse" I have described? It is at the front end and rides on a holder that is suspended by 4 springs. Both of my buses work (front and back motors) when I apply battery power to them. But itappears the signal isnt being recieved. Both control boxes also spark and buzz as they are supposed to. I am hopeful somebody in this organization will see our messages and give us a hand. I am waiting for a copy of the original instructions a guy was gracious enough to mail to me and there might be something in them that may give us a hint on what to do.

I see some of these and the Oldsmobile for sale on ebaystating they work. I haveattempted to contact the sellers but have not received ananswer. One of the cars is Listed for $10.000.00I dont know what that guy is drinking or smoking but it must really be good .

I have foundanother site called "Alphadrome" and it appears to be some other R/C people. I am going to give them a try.

My email is papaed1941@gmail. Send me yours and we can talk directly which might be easier.

Regards Ed K
Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM
carlosamato

I am looking for the radio control schematics for a Radicon Remote control boat (1957 ) a friend of mine is restoring.
can anyone help?
he is having a difficult time understanding the system.
thank you.
Carlos
Old 07-09-2015, 05:27 PM
steves59

I came across this thread quite awhile ago and now I just found one of these cars at an estate sale. The battery compartment only has 2 contacts left. The other 2 have corroded away. Would it be worth it to try to repair? I want to sell it. Does anyone have any idea of its worth? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:34 PM
steves59

I came across this thread quite awhile ago and now I just found one of these cars at an estate sale. The battery compartment only has 2 contacts left. The other 2 have corroded away. Would it be worth it to try to repair? I want to sell it. Does anyone have any idea of its worth? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 AM
stibah

Originally Posted by papaed
Hi designprof and anybody else that can help
Hopefully you get this message. I was referred to this site by a vintage radio repair guy. I know nothing about R/C things but I need help with my recently acquired Radicon bus. I saw your reply to another person and I figured you were the one to talk to.

I have 2 buses and they both function in regards to the motors operating when batteries are installed and the control boxes "buzz' when the red button is pushed. Neither of them react toa the controller.I opened mthem up and found that one was missing what I call a "fuse" that is attached to the antenna insert o f the bus,. The other one had the "fuse" It isa glass tube with brass ends and copper mesh leads attached to both ends. it appears there are granules of some type in the glass tube. There is also a thin white wire(?) running the length of the fuse and terminating under neath the brass ends. I am sure you are familiar with this but I felt i should describe anyway. I can provide pictures of it. Additionally I only have one set ofthe antennas and I need another.

I repair old toys and have some pretty good results with the ordinary battery operated and wind ups but these have me stumped. They are both in greatphysicalshape and I am anxious to add them to my inventory.

Any information you can provide or services you offer would be appreciatedf Thanks Ed k
Goodness knows when you posted your question about the Radicon RC car and what you call the "fuse". Or whether anyone has provided the info you were seeking. But here's some info that may or may not help/be of interest:

I am a 71 y/o Aussie living in Sydney, and one of my "treasures" is my Radicon RC car (complete with its transmitter - but, alas, no box) just like the red one shown above.
My Dad bought it in Japan for me in 1958 when he went there on his first ever overseas business trip (a VERY big deal for him (and the family) back in those days).
I remember him telling me about it when he returned from his trip and then having to wait about 8 - 10 weeks for it to arrive BY SEA MAIL because, back then, air mail was an unaffordable luxury reserved for more important things.

But getting back to your post: That thing you describe as a "fuse" is, in fact, the coherer and the little metal filing things in the glass tube align each time the spark gap transmitter induces a current in the car arial. That changes the current flow in the receiver circuit that is "recognised" as a single pulse and causes the car to execute the next sequential step.
I'm stuffed if I know how the filings in the coherer get redistributed and re-randomised after each pulse ... but, thinking about it, they probably only hold their altered conducting state for as long as the transmitter button is held down - and I imagine, they then collapse back down, awaiting the next pulse from the transmitter - I've never actually watched the coherer working with the car body removed.

But I read online that the early ship to shore morse code radio receivers used a coherer ...so the old Radicon car really is a blast from the past and a trip down memory lane ....back to the days of the Titanic or even probably earlier.

My son is 40 y/o now and my grandson will be 2 y/o in 19 days time. I hope they will love my old Radicon car as much as I have loved it for the last +/- 60 years - after I go to my reward, lose what's left of my marbles🤪 or just give it to them to prove to my wife that I am not as big a hoarder as she is 😂

Oh my Lord 😱 It looks like I have just replied to a post written 8+ years ago. I hope you are still alive and kicking and surviving the wretched 2020 COVID-19 virus pandemic 🙏
Old 09-26-2021, 03:36 PM
toptip

Default Late repky to a late reply!

I recently bought one of these buses. It was inexpensive because it was missing the remote, the box and had a few dents. When I first opened it up — to smooth out the dents — I was surprised to see there were no active components, like transistors! It occurred to me that this must use some brute force radio reception. Then I saw a picture of the remote and I figured out that is what it must be. Finally I read these posts and now I know!

I presume the coherer is the gadget I circled…(I do not see a “hammer” to undo the connection though?) I am thinking, the market is now awash with cheap wifi based remote switches. If I disconnect the coherer and instead attach such a switch — perhaps over a resistor to simulate the coherer resistance — I should be able to control the bus. Any thoughts if that would work?

Old 09-26-2021, 03:39 PM
toptip

Hmm, apparently I am not allowed to post pictures (even though it says “URLs” not pictures).
Old 08-17-2023, 03:32 AM
WorldofRC

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neat