Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Special Project : VTOL FPV

Firstly i would like to thank for al those kind souls out there whom have taken the time to view my post.

Note: I have attached a diagram to this post. Hopefully it helps you visualise my quries. The diagram is not to scale, neither it is the actual aircraft design.
    If you do not understand specific parts of my question, Please kindly inform me and feel free to correct me if im wrong. Thankyou again for your time and expertise.

Introduction: Im embarking on a new project which has a very high importance to me and my grades at school. Im starting a year earlier for the project so that i can get things going at prototype stage.

Current Technical Details
    Aircraft Type : VTOL/STOL
    Aircraft Propulsion: Ducted Fan, Electric Motors
    Aircraft Approx Length ( From Nose to Tail): +1.4 Metres (4.59 feet)
    Aircraft Payload Capability : FPV Devices
    Control Surfaces : Elevator, Rudder, Ailerons , Flaps
    Budget Cost: To Be Confirmed
    Type of Technology to Incoporate : Vectored Thrusting 0-90 Degrees Tail Movement, Downwards Thrust
    Landing Gears: Yes
    Aircraft Structure : Composite Shell Structure( Secondary) with Internal Structure( Primary) mounts.
    Other Comments : Rear Propulsion fan will divert thrust downwards and eventually convert to vertical thrusting,and back up to horizontal as well.During VTOL, The three mid fans on the fueslage and wings along the CG line willbe thrusting downwards to ensure even distribution of weight, Most of the batteries, stuff will be located on the horizontal CG line from the top.

Current Questions Regarding the Project for now.

1. Do you think such a configuration would work?
    2. What are your views and reccomendations that i can consider.
    3. If so what kind of setup would be best regarding the following
      [*]Type of connections to take note[*]Reccomended Ducted Propulsion Size[*]Type of Electronic Arrangement to take note E.g ESC connected to the Motors[/list]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79353.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	1565917  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Special Project : VTOL FPV

hey,

someone tried somthing like this a wile ago but had a difrent motor configuration.

Doc Watson X35b VTOL

it looked like it would work too. what type of aircraft are you planing on modeling after?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Aircraft will be fully designed by me,For a start lets say im looking like smthing that looks like a sukhoi ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do you want retractants like powered landing gear? the aircraft looks like a single engion so insted of haveing it look like the sukhoi, it might resemble the harrier or somthing with a EDF behind the cockpit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

doing a Su-35 with the outer wing EDF ( Eletric Duct Fan) units close to the body where the wing is the thickist  to control roll and yaw, a servo powered rotating EDF unit from foward flight to hover in the rear (the more powerfill of the 4 that you can use) for thrust, and a single EDF behind the cockpit to suport your camera and gear in the front would be the best way to look at it. putting the EDF's in the wing on servos so they can rotate to control rotational movement horisontaly, would cause it to stear like a tank wile alowing you to turn in a hover. adjusting the speed in the wing units would allow you to control roll and adjusting the power in the nose unit would control nose pitch. let me know, what you think.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you given this concept much thought .It is the Most efficiante v.t.o. yet in my view.I have built a High Performance version with an 8 ft. Rotarywing span using 2 High Performance lightweight Motors.I have a saying (Roll Over Sigoski) The axis is controled by vertical stabilizers.This picture does not do it justis.It is of the 1st prototype built in 2009 I am nearly finished with the new version .I had to change the rotating wings rotation.I had to use reverse rotation on one tip motor.Now that the Rotation has been changed to clockwise I can use stock rotation on both side driving motors.Saving me the trouble of re-wiring and finding couter-rotating prop for that side to achieve the same airflow on both sides.I would like to jon forces with others to build a full Scale Version.It can be re-charged at home for flights of say 4 hrs.Longer flights would require a small 4 stroke generator eliminating the need to stop and recharge.Retriever props could be attached to generators and lowered ounce in flight Thanks Again Charlie

Name:	Xv65745.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	1592190  
    Charlie111 Looking for two h.p. motors with single channel speed control.High Performance maybe equal to o.20 or 0.49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen your diagram.And I am sure You could make it fly.But, you would have to be very coordinated.Remwmber ,Just to move forward straight and level.You would have to increase thrust,while vectoring,and keeping the wings level without gaining or loosing altitude.I think thats why there were so many Harrier crashes.It must have been a handfull to fly and manuever.Until it got to a sufficiante airspeed for the control surfaces to work and then you are basicaly flying an airplane with the thrusters tilted fully level (full forward).I think they have installed some computer assistance.Just maybe you could connect the vectoring to your retractable landing gear.Then you would only have to control motor speed on thrusters and wing tips.It has been proven to work.But I think to recover from stall if it ever happened? You might want separate speed control on those as well as the wing motors.I like to keep things simple as you can tell by the vtol I have come up with.But, I stated young with control lines and have moved to r/c and might I add I have flown Tail draggers which require more than you average plane becuase of a thing called p factor and getting the tail up without breaking a prop and with heavy winds had to come in at about 1/4 and fly it in.No Aerobatics yet Good luck
    Charlie111 Looking for two h.p. motors with single channel speed control.High Performance maybe equal to o.20 or 0.49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After giving your project some thought.I could'nt help but thinking how it resembles the four rotor toy thats out.It's just for rotor blades with motors.But you could replace those with your turbo fans for your aircraft as for vectoring you must know how you plan on doing that? I also thought it would help with the controls set-up already for control Good Luck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can only recommend My Electric Rotowing design for the siplest vertical takeoff design?

Name:	Jh16876.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	1628774  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey,

I am embarking on a similar project (a VTOL EDF UAV) and I am planning on using only two fans (one will stay in a fixed vertical position, the other main fan will have a duct fitted to it that will direct thrust downward) I was contemplating whether this would work due to stability if it doesn't i was either going to mount two smaller edf units on each wingtip or design a custom duct that would come off either the main fan or a third fan mounted in the fuselage that would pipe air to about halfway down each wing and there I would have two small exhaust ducts to balance the aircraft. Just to make things worse my aircraft design has forward swept anhedral wings so I certainly have lots going against me.

Thanks,

1stfoot