Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Development of a Cheap 2 Prop VTOL - Project Talon

Hello all!

I thought I'd post a bit about one of my latest projects, the Talon airframe. It's very experimental at the moment, but it's ideal for testing flight control algorithms on our new dev board "Forebrain" and sensor board expansion "Seraphim" There is lot's more information to be found on all this at www.universalair.co.uk.

What makes this such an interesting challenge is that I only spent about 90GBP on the components (though quite a lot of time building the frame) and also that this type of craft is inherently quite unstable!

One of your first questions might be to ask why I chose to use those great big glider wings.
    The reason for this is that this is actually part of a much bigger project which has 4 main objectives: to produce a small aircraft that:
    1. is CHEAP
    2. can perform VTOL (vertical take off and landing)
    3. has a high max "sprint" speed
    4. has a high loiter time at low speed
    This airframe ignores objective 3, but the glider wings are an attempt to partially satisfy 4.

I'll be uploading more information and videos as the development progresses so do check the website www.universalair.co.uk

But please also ask any questions you have here, or indeed make any comments, I'm very interested to get some ideas and feedback!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57132.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	1640186