Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Development of a Cheap 2 Prop VTOL - Project Talon

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Development of a Cheap 2 Prop VTOL - Project Talon

Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Hellmaaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Development of a Cheap 2 Prop VTOL - Project Talon

Hello all!

I thought I'd post a bit about one of my latest projects, the Talon airframe. It's very experimental at the moment, but it's ideal for testing flight control algorithms on our new dev board "Forebrain" and sensor board expansion "Seraphim" There is lot's more information to be found on all this at www.universalair.co.uk.

What makes this such an interesting challenge is that I only spent about 90GBP on the components (though quite a lot of time building the frame) and also that this type of craft is inherently quite unstable!

One of your first questions might be to ask why I chose to use those great big glider wings.
The reason for this is that this is actually part of a much bigger project which has 4 main objectives: to produce a small aircraft that:
  1. is CHEAP
  2. can perform VTOL (vertical take off and landing)
  3. has a high max "sprint" speed
  4. has a high loiter time at low speed
This airframe ignores objective 3, but the glider wings are an attempt to partially satisfy 4.

I'll be uploading more information and videos as the development progresses so do check the website www.universalair.co.uk

But please also ask any questions you have here, or indeed make any comments, I'm very interested to get some ideas and feedback!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57132.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1640186