Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

My ice boat

Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ice boat

I call it that because right now there's no snow on the lake!
I hate flying in 20deg. weather with 40+ winds so I built this for fun. I used mostly scrap metal out of my garage. Powered by a used Saito 1.80 I bought here on RCU. Servos are Hitec HS-805BB, plenty of torque! Test run was a success so now just some final tweaking and adjustments ans some cosmetic work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37264.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	1716634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70055.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	1716635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28448.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1716636  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
hy flyr

Default RE: My ice boat

A few more pics.. The skis are very nice, ordered from maidenusa. I originaly bought them for an airplane. I tweaked the gear spinning tight cookies on the ice so a small repair is in order. I also have an on-board glow driver just because it's cool. Unfortunatly it had a broken wire so I had to use my glow driver. I can put wheels on this and give it a try also.

Name:	Xv63599.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1716643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57375.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1716644  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Cool.......Where's the wings?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 PM
hy flyr

Thanks RCManiac! No wings but now that I know it actually works I'll add some batmobile wings or something cool to spruce it up some! [8D]
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!!

Can't wait to see it.........
Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM
controlliner

I would use a "glitch buster" on the back servo with the long lead.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
iron eagel

Very nice!
Looks like a fun machine.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Pretty cool I would like to see it as a pusher. The tail as the front.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
hy flyr

Thanks guys for the comps! Hmmmm..a pusher, now that could be kind of cool! After building this "erector set toy" you guys and some of my flying buds have given me other ideas for it. My float flying partner suggested putting it on floats and using it for a retrieval boat. This evening I've made several different patterns for some side fins. It will look better with them on.. [8D]
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM
dociledragons

what, no video..
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 AM
hy flyr

Hey guys,
I changed things up some. I added a rear axle, wheels and springs for suspension. Also added some cool headlights and running lights. I also mounted a little on-board camera on the back for some cool video! This thing cruises around pretty fast in empty parking lots! It's great for getting my nitro-fix also. Now that the weather is getting a little nicer, I should get back to my unfinished projects that fly! [8D]

Name:	Cz79959.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1735380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54536.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1735381  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM
iron eagel

With the saw blade it looks like you have it set up for robo wars...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM
hy flyr

Haha, you should have seen it before I took off the 12" miter saw blade I took off the bottom! My wife called it the death machine. It was getting to stinkin heavy though..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Johnk71

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml>

I was looking at your Ice Boat (Very Nice!) and thought I would share mine. I have some questions about your design and how it performs at high speeds. I have been tweaking mine for years to resolve issues i.e. Front end Lift off, Stabilization, Engine Placement/Pitch with the last being long range control. The “Zombie” looks rough, as she is well used, and yes, abused…

<xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Name:	Om33812.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1828887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88491.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1828888  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Johnk71

<xml><w:worddocument><w:view>Normal</w:view><w:zoom>0</w:zoom><wunctuationkerning></wunctuationkerning><w:validateagainstschemas></w:validateagainstschemas><w:saveifxmlinvalid>false</w:saveifxmlinvalid><w:ignoremixedcontent>false</w:ignoremixedcontent><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext>false</w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:breakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:snaptogridincell></w:snaptogridincell><w:wraptextwithpunct></w:wraptextwithpunct><w:useasianbreakrules></w:useasianbreakrules><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit></w:compatibility><w:browserlevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml>

I was looking at your Ice Boat and thought I would share mine. I have some questions about your design and how it performs at high speeds. I have been tweaking mine for years to resolve issues i.e. Front end Lift off, Stabilization, Engine Placement/Pitch with the last being long range control. The “Zombie” looks rough, as she is well used, and yes, abused…

<xml><w:latentstyles latentstylecount="156" deflockedstate="false"></w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
hy flyr

Cool looking Zombie! It looks like an airboat converted over to skis. That's a good idea. Mine didn't work to good on the rough ice. There's a weak link in the steering I keep having to fix/replace. It does haul butt in the parking lot though. I parked it over the summer and pretty much forgot about it. It may come out again this winter. Got any vids of your Zombie in action?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Johnk71

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml>I never intended it to be a boat, although I scooped the front to go over obstacles (lumps of snow and ice) and repositioned the engine, to protect it. The first one didn’t survive impact! As it was mounted forward, with no protection. So I and later flipped it, remounted the engine, lifted and placed it on children’s skis. I don’t have any videos at this time but will shortly. I just added the new prop, the other smaller 3 bladed one was clocked at 45mph on snow covered ice…. Do you have any videos of yours? <xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 AM
hy flyr

I have some videos with the on-board camera that are pretty cool. In one video I hit the only chunk of ice in the whole parking lot. The prop hit it and that broke the motor mount and the engine went flying off! Slid 30ft from point of impact. Luckily for me it didn't damage the engine and was a pretty quick repair. I can 't get any videos to post here.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 AM
benlinus

Wow. This one is really a nice piece. Love to see this, but the idea you use to haev a suspension rear axle, wheels and springs is fantastic.Also you added some cool headlights and running lights, brillient idea. Look's fabulous. Really love to see this, had never seen such nice piece. Love to have such like my own.
Regard's,
ben Linus,