Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

flying wing gondola

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
nexplosion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying wing gondola

Hi,
I have been playing with this idea to turn a flying wing that I have into a sort of microlight. My question basically is what's better. Do I make it a weight shift sort of model or would the ailerons work? I will post a few pics of the wing and gondola a lil later after work
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 AM
iron eagel

Default RE: flying wing gondola

the Elevons will work just fine for a wing and are easy to set up that is how I control wings I build and I am very concerned about weight.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 AM
nexplosion

I know elevons are used on flying wings but I was leaning more to the throttle for lift and not so much the elevator action of the control surface as I'm not sure how they would respond to a hanging load. I do agree that weight is a concern but the gondola I'm planing to use is the one in the pic. It comes in at only 500g. I built it for a parafoil but ja that's another story. I am aware that some mods will need to be done to the gondola but any advise is really appreciated.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM
iron eagel

It would be much easier to advise you if you posted a picture of what you are building.

Keep in mind any load you are carrying under the wing is going to add to the pitching moment so a highly reflexed airfoil is probably going to be what you need to look at.
The elevator function is required for turns with aileron only turns.
You may want to post your question in the scratch build and design forum in the airplane forum, there more people with more design experience with airplanes than you may get reading this thread here.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
charlie111

On The Nobler I had.I put lingcage to flaps.When Elevator went up,Flaps went down.And vice versa.When Elevator went Down Flaps went up.Very Good for Loops.But, that was many years ago.Do they still use that set-up?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM
nexplosion

Weird I thought I did post a pic. I get what you saying about the other thread iron eagle. I just thought unusual was fitting for this project. Let me try post the pics again on the wing and gondola
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 AM
nexplosion

I just can't seem to upload the pics for some reason.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
iron eagel

The file size has to be less than 6 mb jpg for you to be able to post a picture, but often as of late there is sometimes a problem posting pictures. You will find that it often takes several tries.

I have to admit your project does sound unusual, but still most of your design issues will be aerodynamic in nature, I can see interaction between the wing and the gondola as being one potential problem to deal with. You may want to approach attaching the gondola to wing more along the lines of a pylon similar to a sailplane wing to the fuselage as one possible method.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM
nexplosion

I must agree that it is to a large degree aerodynamic in nature. I think I managed to upload now. This is the basic design. Its really I rigid wing "rogolla" type ultralight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57989.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1849991  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
iron eagel

If that is your gondola sitting beneath the wing I would not want to have to deal with swinging that around for flight control. It look like a pusher prop type of setup (just guessing) and I would be concerned about yaw stability with that much body in relationship to the wing, your probably going to need some rudder/vertical area for it to fly in a controllable manner.
I would recommend drawing a sketch of it and posting it in the aerodynamics forum for some good solid advice.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM
nexplosion

Yeah that's the gondola but bare in mind that its just a mock up. There is a lot ot modding to be done. But yeah I will do a drawing and post there.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 PM
iron eagel

I love it.
It reminds me of the flying car concepts from back in the 50's and 60's.
The guys in the aerodynamics forum would probably love to give you input on such a neat project.
You really should do a build threat to chronicle this neat of a project.
Good luck!
Great project.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 AM
charlie111

It reminds me of the Ultralight those Geese followed! Only Enclosed
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 AM
charlie111

This is for Iron Eagle.Those were an Airplane Fuselage with a Rotor Blade Driven by Draft from Prop similar to a Gyro But,No Airspeed Required they could land in a parking Space.With maybe a small headwind or no headwind at all.Prop wash turned Rotor!!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
charlie111

I have made a Few Flying Wings.Usually left over Wings fromCrashed Planes.They don't use weight for controling any control funtions! A Verical Stabilizer with Rudder an Elevator sometimes connecting 2 Vertical Stabilizers and Airlerons for Banking.Weight is an issue with control on Heli's But not Airplanes as far as I Know?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
charlie111

Seems Like an Old Ultralight Design.I have seen a Few with Pusher Props. and they seem to Handle Well using just weight and Balance.Lets just say Hang Glider type control.I saw a Video of a Guy Flying one of the 1st prototypes of the Powered version.He got a Little carried away and Hit the Ground trying to do a (Loop)! He actually came very close to completing it.On His Version He flew while Hanging upright with standard Harness.I think he died But he did Fly around for a while.Turning and Climing with No Problems at all.He just got a little Cocky and Started his Loop to Low.The Flight was a Success But the Pilot Killed Himself!! You might find that video on youtube? Good Luck anyway!