Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

An Unusual Project...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
HenryGLewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Unusual Project...

Hello to anyone who reads this!

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to build some sort of 'Off Road' Portable sound system, and went about it completely freehand, and came up with the BooomBuggy which is shown in the attached photos. It consists of 4 Alpine 6x9 speakers, powered by a Leisure battery through a Pioneer head unit and amp. It sounds excellent, although the box is mostly screws, nails, mdf and plywood. It currently travels around on a buggy that I made for it using scrap bits of wood I could find around my stables, and wheels I bought from a scrap yard. I'm planning to downsize the buggy to make it easier to transport, but I'd also like to change the wheels/buggy for something a bit less heavy. I was thinking Tank Tracks (remote control). Any advice on what materials to use, how to make them, what power I would need... absolutely anything would be appreciated! It's my pride and joy, and to make it remote controlled on tank tracks would be Awesome! I'd like to ideally build the mechanisms into the box itself and just raise everything else up above the compartment inside to avoid making the box any bigger. Please let me know what you think so far as well It's a big hit at hockey games and tournaments. Thanks all.

Henry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87055.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1816056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33589.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1816057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91119.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1816058  
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: An Unusual Project...

It would be pretty cool if you could drive it along...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Marvellously eccentric project. It's given me a good laugh, this Tuesday morning.

Looking at the pics, there is plenty of scope for "downsizing".

I can't offer you any advice re motorising this thing ... the preferred option might be to buy an old Ford Fiesta and decant your speakers into that. Well, that's what they do around here, anyway.

Some time ago, my mate built a 1/4 scale Landrover, which he motorised using wheelchair components. He would tow his 1/4 scale Tiger Moth, using this vehicle; it worked very well and even had enough grunt to drive itself up ramps and into the back of his estate car. There is a plan available, which details the drive mechanisms ... though the technology is about 15 years old, now.

Those speakers should be on telescopic arms. Maybe.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 PM
HenryGLewis

I'm glad I could provide some humour for the early start! 
Tank tracks seem to me to be the best option really. There are some really simple instructions on how to make them using PVC pipes, bike chains and screws. The trick is just be making them load bearing enough so it could sit ontop. It'd also save alot of money/time sorting out steering racks etc. Right track forward to turn left, and so on, simplicity is key! 
Plus tank tracks are aggressive looking...To be able to drive it to the side of the pitch at our away games, on tank tracks, playing something unnecessarily bass heavy, would be excellent.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 AM
PWF63

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: foodstick

It would be pretty cool if you could drive it along...
Or fly it......

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM
jleblanc
My Feedback: (17)

pretty sweet Idea to run with!....I'm loving browsing this forum and seeing what everyone else does as well...

thanks 
               joe
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
charlie111

Now all you have to do is make it fly! That might take some time?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Snow blowers run on tracks like a tank or dozer... perhaps you could find what you need in a parts list from a snowblower. They could be just the right size and ready made, with drive sprockets too!