Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Airships and Blimps

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
alphinux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airships and Blimps

Hi every one!
I'm new into the R/C world, altho I have some experience on Radio communications (HF, VHF and UHF).
I want to build an Airship or blimp but was wondering how stable are they. I want it to be an outdoor R/C Airship so the problem of air currents is very important for me.
And is there software (Better if it runs on Linux but not mandatory) that I could use for design?
Thx
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
trev1whittaker

Default RE: Airships and Blimps

This kinda stuff is way over my head, but I did a lot of research a couple years ago after going to a hockey game (they had an indoor one). Are you def. wanting to build one from scratch or buy a kit? I know they get REALLY expensive. Do you have a certain budget? How big are you wanting to go? Have any plans of flying indoors? I know scratch building was really big for outdoors in europe.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:40 AM
alphinux

Well if I don't have any other choice it will end up being indoors, but that's the very very very last thing I want.

Now about the Kit, I am kind of looking for a kit but not a complete one. See, I don't really want to build everything but I don't want everything bought since it would not fit my requirements. I plan to remove all of the standard R/C communications system and using one I have developed on UHF (2.4 GHz) with special antennas and higher Tx power than usual. Also I need the "balloon" be big enough to carry something like 2 to 3 Kg.
I'm working on a school project for which I need the Airship, but my project is not about building the airship but the communications system. So yes I'm kind of looking for a kit but not the whole package.

About the money, I know that because of the requirements it will cost more than a normal R/C vehicle but I don't want it to end up to something like 5000 dls either.

I have one year to complete this project, which I believe is a decent amount of time.

Because of the payload I suppose it will have to be something rather big, so I was thinking on way to combine an Airship with a quatrocopter as an other choice.

I really really want to go for the airship, it is from all the ideas I had the one that requires less energy and is easier to control. But if you have other ideas I'm all ears.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Our 10 foot indoor blimp that could carry itself and some coupons was $3500 USD
Old 01-25-2009, 04:05 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: alphinux

Now about the Kit, I am kind of looking for a kit but not a complete one. See, I don't really want to build everything but I don't want everything bought since it would not fit my requirements. I plan to remove all of the standard R/C communications system and using one I have developed on UHF (2.4 GHz) with special antennas and higher Tx power than usual.
Make magazine has a [link=http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKBRI]Blubber bot Robotic Inflatable[/link], but it's an indoor vehicle.

ORIGINAL: alphinux
Also I need the "balloon" be big enough to carry something like 2 to 3 Kg.
I'm working on a school project for which I need the Airship, but my project is not about building the airship but the communications system. So yes I'm kind of looking for a kit but not the whole package.

Because of the payload I suppose it will have to be something rather big, so I was thinking on way to combine an Airship with a quatrocopter as an other choice.

I really really want to go for the airship, it is from all the ideas I had the one that requires less energy and is easier to control. But if you have other ideas I'm all ears.
Helium has a lifting capacity of 1.02 kg/m^3 (0.064 lb/ft^3). So you would need to figure out your gross weight (payload, plus vehicle) to figure out what size envelope you need.

Outdoor vehicles need to contend with the wind, so you'll need motors powerful enough to keep the blimp stationary.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
wolfinwisc

if you are still interested in a blimp i have a very large blimp from peck polimers if i remember right it is about 14' long and about 8 or nine feet high with the cabana and tail fins
Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
KirkPR

Do you still have it? how much? Any pics or more details?
ThanksKirk
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google RC Rigid Model Airships, here's an interesting site:

http://www.minizepp.com/English_zepp...FSIuagodsSNiBA
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 AM
rcav8er
My Feedback: (19)

I built several blimps years ago and they can get very expensive very fast.
The biggest issue is the envelope. Unless you have access to some very expensive
equipment your best bet is to have the envelope fabricated for your special needs.
I worked with a company out of NC called Ballon Works. It was owned by a guy
named Tracy Barns. Great guy and extreamely helpful. He had a computer program
which would lay out the envelope depending of your gross weights and there distribution
along the longitudinal axis of the ship. His company could then cut and seam the envelope
to meet your specs.
I was working on a outdoor design to carry a video system with micro wave down link as
well a GPS transmitted to a lap top for full instrumentation. The ship was 33' in length and 11'
in diameter and carried two 120 four strokes for power. Helium has real crappy lifting capability
and will only lift .064 lbs per Cu. Ft. of gas. It takes allot of helium to carry any weight, so plan to
go big if your lifting anything more than itself.

Good Luck, Former Owner of Carolina Airships
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM
CafeenMan

Many, many years ago I wanted to build a very detailed scale model of the Hindenburg. When I did the math it wouldn't have flown. I originally wanted it to be about 6' long. At 10' if I recall correctly it had to weigh about 1 pound overall to hover at about 1' at sea level. So I never even started it. Hydrogen would have been marginally better but I'm a smoker.