Ok, I have done extensive reading on other posts about this MXZ 800 and decided to go ahead and start this project. I bought this off from Ebay used, working in perfect condition. ( That didnt stay that way very long, opened the box , ran it about 10 feet, laughed and said how lame! ) I started with what every one else has done and gutted the old electronics and drive system out. Me being a machinist for over 25+ years helps alot in the way I approached this build.
The first hurdle I went after was the front suspension. Here I built a 2 pc alum clamp to tie the radius rod's to the belly pan, here I noticed everyone else had drilled holes, bolted and made a bracket to tie the front sus to the belly pan. I then tackled the upper shock brace/ steering servo mount. This set-up seems very ridged, and very smooth travel.
I then started in with the rear suspension and I found out for myself, they made it look great to scale but non-functioning. So, I made a pair of travel arms out of alum, oil light bushings in ALL wheels on the skid, made shock bolt down shafts to hold it all together. It flows more like the "M12" Suspensions found in full size sleds. Now this is just paliminairy, with ALOt more tuning here to do.
The drive system I am doing like other post 's and going with a timing style drive belt and pulley's. I am also doing the same with the drive sprockets and made a hub to attach the drive sprockets to. I also found the drivin pulley does NOT run true and will not take the rpms I am going to subject this rig to, so there I made another hub to attach the trued up drive sprocket to with 6-32 bolts.
I am to this point and waiting for the motor and ESC to finish the drivetrain, more to come........