Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Mono-Phan "Twin" Technology: Virtuoso of Thrust

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Mono-Phan "Twin" Technology: Virtuoso of Thrust

Old 01-23-2015, 04:07 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Virtuoso of Thrust: Mono-Phan "Twin" Tech Maiden Flight

The sickest flying machine I've ever built!

First minute pics then dance of the vectoring nozzles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOAG8AFUybA

Last edited by UN.RCONT.OL; 01-31-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:48 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

Amazing flight maiden video of this one of a kind flying machine.

I tested the stabilization, maneuver capabilities and flight time.

I am very pleased: 7 minutes flight time, amazing sound and very balanced…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJsp93_62vI
Old 03-07-2015, 06:33 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Some pics and second flight... Switched the front 90 deg, reduced weight slightly...

This machine has a sound out of a science fiction movie... Love it!

Forgot to set the timer before flight, so cut the flight short... Normally gets close to 7 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AmRqKEsIoM
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

New design with gimbal and micro camera...

Pics, gimbal & flight video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBRSQqRhsfE
Old 04-12-2015, 07:00 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

First Half of this footage is aerial videos and the second half is the same flight from the ground camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMIORjYio7k
Old 08-01-2015, 02:45 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

A recent fun-flight video after a long while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s05q...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Going through some old files, I came across to the last footage of my twin unit that I never published. This has been one of the most reliable and balanced units:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4l...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for watching!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

The new dual unit. Full carbon fiber with new thrust vectoring system. Will be equipped with GPS and a camera gimbal following further tests.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:23 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Made some design changes along the way and fount the right balance for the unit. This is a longer flight after a couple of crashes, major one resulting from an electrical malfunction. Re-adjusted the system voltage, increasing it one full volt, which seems to have solved that issue. Replaced the 3000kv motors with 3200kv ones. Took out the GPS that doesn't seem to work. I will test and fix that later. The flight characteristics are showing the balance of the unit is almost perfect. Maybe a couple more little tweaks. However, the battery, even though having plenty of MAHs, is still lacking the C rating. Towards the end you will see a closeup of a semi-crash. No damage done. Re-flew it again with the remaining juice. Uses about 80% of the total juice of the battery for this flight. The battery slightly puffed during the flight. Thinking of getting a 70C battery with a slightly smaller capacity to finalize the project...

Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

Awesome power of Genace 70c lipo! OMG! Does it ever lose any power until the last minute??? NO! You pay double, you get triple. AND THIS IS A CAR BATTERY WITH HARDCASE!!!! What else could I want? It doesn’t get damaged! Forgive my excitement on this. But I have been spending hundreds of dollars for the right battery and I finally found it.

Before this flight I had a couple of crashes. At first, I didn't get what was going on. Then I realized that one of the ESC was giving in due to heat during the flight, and reducing the power to protect itself, which was causing the unit to lose balance and crash. Increasing the KV ratings of the motors and extreme heat over 100 degrees didn't help. So, I pulled off the many years old simple and bulky hobby king ESCs from one of my old units. These ESCs cannot even be throttle calibrated but they sure did the job. They got a little too hot but I have some experience and ideas to resolve that. Installed aluminum homemade heat sinks on the ESCs and they worked very well. This flight is over 5 minutes. The theoretical flight time of the unit is 6 minutes. So, I should land between 5 to 5 and a half minutes.I also installed a small cam with a 1 axis servo gimbal. At the end of the video there a couple of pieces of aerial video.

I consider this mission accomplished

Old 01-28-2018, 06:23 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

This unit looks badass in the air. Almost scary. I think it is because of its potential. It is VERY responsive. Vectoring the fans instead of using nozzles improved the responsiveness compared to my older twin units. I cut the flight short because I realized the fans fluttered a little. I am looking forward to the day that the tuning is complete and I will fly this beast at its limits…

Meanwhile working on the wing with the carbon reinforcement.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_145135.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2252643   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_145141.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2252644  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

#DuoPhan35 #MonoPhan #MonoModule #TriPhan #ThrustVectoring

It took me 7 broken impellers, 1 broken fan, 1 broken servo, tens of tests & crashes, unbelievable amount of frustration and tens of different tunings to get this beauty to fly. It was worth all after flying it!!! It flies like nothing else. I don’t think there is wind that it cannot beat despite its size, except a storm or something I am just touching the sticks for it to go as fast as does in the video!!!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

It’s alive My own little Varitech lives & flies!

Parts from a plastic kit of my favorite fighter Jet of all times F-14 Tomcat was merged with my flying robot. There is still work to do, as I attached the wings and parts with tape and stuff just to test the aerodynamics. I was pretty sure that it would immediately go head down and crash with all the extra surfaces which will interfere with the balance of the unit. But it didn’t.

I got out half a sleep first thing in the morning to do a test before the winds picked up. I couldn’t catch the really calm hours but it was calm enough to test. The plastic parts added some weight and the unit has never been this heavy before.

It flew beautifully. The handling was almost like the additional surfaces has not been added, which means that the additional surfaces are very well balanced. Before the additions the unit was a little too eager to tilt and required me to intervene and correct. I was hoping that the wings would fix that but it didn’t. So, I will need do work on that. I got sun blinded and even made contact with the unit towards the end of the test.

For this 35mm unit, I install everything permanently and do everything that I can to make it look real. I want to try some weathering, too.

This means that the next step is to build a unit that can walk AND transition to a Jet!

Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

I have been testing my Autonomous ArduPilot + Arduino hybrid control system with different frames and setups. I had many failures and totaled a number of units.

I think I finally found the correct frame and setup. This is the “very careful” maiden of the new setup. A little more tuning is necessary but the unit feels very stable and controllable.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:46 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

The unit flies good. Testing the GPS and Baro. Some drift but overall good.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:17 AM
bigkim100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you contact me Monofan, please
Old 09-09-2020, 03:07 PM
SkyersJet

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you be interested in trying this with a bigger EDF?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:55 AM
bigkim100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure , depends on the cost. I dont know whay MonoFan wont contact me, we used to chat all the time
Old 09-10-2020, 11:37 AM
SkyersJet

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's weird. I've been working on a large EDF project, it's in the RC Jets forum. I want to do VTOl with it but don't have the coding skills.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:34 PM
UN.RCONT.OL

New 3D printed version of DuoPhan. The virtuoso or thrust

Old 03-12-2022, 10:55 AM
UN.RCONT.OL