Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Super high thrust motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 AM
ElementsnStuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super high thrust motor?

I'm a bit leery of anything on alibaba, but this motor claims an astonishing 90 kg of thrust with a wooden prop (unknown size).
/product-detail/202-80-40kw-biggest-outrunner-bldc_60689547213.html

Could someone more knowledgeable evaluate whether this might be true or not? I'd like to make sure I'm buying the right thing if I'm sinking $1k into just the motor.

Also, how would one even run this behemoth? I've never seen an ESC rated for that kind of power output, and the ones that come close (Alien or Flier seem to be best) were tested and failed long beforehand (apparently due to improper cooling). Not to mention the battery pack, which would be a gargantuan thing all on its own at 54s. I have a few 11.1V 7000 mAh LiPo batteries that I found to be pretty lightweight and small (well, relatively speaking), but even stringing 18 of these together in series (199.8V, 7000 mAh) would only allow the motor to run for a bare 2.1 minutes (this ignoring the burst current rating of the batteries of 40C and continuous rating of 25C, which would shut the whole thing off after about 10 seconds). This is all assuming maximum power output, which is likely to be the case considering my intended use is a rather unusually-shaped drone.