Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

R/C "D"-Powered Rocket car

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

R/C "D"-Powered Rocket car

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C "D"-Powered Rocket car

Just for fun it was first built over one week, as a free runner.
After it hit a curb, it was given steering, and shock absorbers.
The video is of it's first runs R/C.
The drag chute was a full 12" shroud, and caused the car to roll immediatly upon deployment.
The second run freaked out the camera man, and the Third run ejected the engine, and I steered it to slow it down, and tapped a curb.

[link=http://mysite.verizon.net/res1tf1s/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/rocketcar2.mpg]Rocket Car Video, click here.[/link]

There were over 14 good runs over three years at a local model airshow.
The images are of one of the last rebuild attempts.
The control cable got superglued during the firewall placement, and
the car hasn't been out since.

Enjoy[8D]
Aimee

[Edit]
Reloaded images.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34258.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	87225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85474.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	87226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75700.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	87227  
Old 01-06-2004, 01:50 AM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: R/C "D"-Powered Rocket car

We have a 2200'x 50' paved runway as our flying field now would this be long enough. I'm the one that always comes up with something new and exciting for our big show each year and a rocket car with a high smoke Estes engine should be incredible. I built a rocket car in my early years when Estes first started but it was on a string like our first 049 gas cars. Needless to say when they hit the end it was all over. Do you have plans for your car? Was it controlable? Talk to you soon!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I do not have any plans for the rocket car. I suppose I could draw some up.
The last crash was caused because I neglected to replace a nose weight (approx 4oz) after rebuilding the car from a previous crash. Also the nose wheel was a steel pully with ball bearings, with a rubber O-ring pulled over it.

The OMAS runway was about 400 feet long. Due to the dragchute (cut down to a cruciform shape) the car never reached the end of the runway.

If you look at the video, you will notice the car catch air and fly level for 10-15 feet on the first run. This is pretty incredible considering the design was based on downforce, basic rocket aerodynamics, and "this looks good. It turns out, that the weight at the front of the car is key to keeping it on the ground, and stable.

If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Aimee
Old 01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, you got me thinking. I used an old S148 servo but it seemed that I still couldn't control my car. Mine was powed with a cluster of three C6-7s. how about a high speed servo. Also, using a servo to release the drag chute?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

If you could see the images, I don;t know what's up with that,...?

I stacked the engine mount tube, and a dragchute tube. Before gluing them together I cut a hole between the two tubes, then sealed the front ends. When the engines ejection charge goes off, the gasses are ducted up into the dragchute tube, and out the back.
This way the chute is deployed out behind the car.

The dragchute is attached to the car by a shock cord, it runs up the centerline under the car, and attaches to a screw eye right behind the front wheel. This way when the chute is deployed, it would pull down on the front wheel as opposed to pulling on the back of the car and lifting it.

[Edit]
Here's a hosted image of the rear of the car.