Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Superman or Batman Novelty Aircraft

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Superman or Batman Novelty Aircraft

Old 03-16-2003, 11:43 PM
f4upilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superman or Batman Novelty Aircraft

I want to build either a flying Superman or Batman figure out of Coroplast about 5 feet length and about 3 feet wide. Ends of cape on both sides would provide elevon control for turning left and right and going up or down.
Engine would be mounted between outstretched arms
Has anyone seen something like this made out of coroplast or foam and more importantly has anyone seen plans for such on the web? My club is wanting to have a novelty aircraft show in September as part of our Muscular Dystrophy charity event. So far we are planning on flying witch, harry potter, snoopy dog house, pizza box flyer, flying stop sign, flying toilet seat, RC parachutists and a few others...

Appreciate any help on these plans and any other ideas you might have for novelty aircraft.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Gastronom

http://freespace.virgin.net/terrylee...cturebook.html

Here ya go, this person has a witch and a clown that might help you with your design.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 02:24 PM
f4upilot

Thanks very much. I did get the plans for a similar superman from a guy in New Zealand, but I like the looks of the one in the pictures you sent...as well as some of the others. I've seen a photo of the elephant flying in England and it was painted pink..for obvious reasons. Thanks for all your help...

Richard
Old 03-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Gastronom

No problem. Hey I noticed your name F4U , I'm building the 1/8th scale on from Pica. It should be the 'bomb' when I get done with it. Putting a ST .75 on it instead of the .61 that the plans called for.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:37 PM
f4upilot

Yes, I have a Top Flite 1/8 scale F4u Corsair with a Saito 120 and 11 servos. It took about 2 years to build and it is painted up like the Marine Night Fighter F4u-5N that was stationed in Korea in 1951 and part of VMF 513 Flying Nightmares....all flat black. I fiberglassed the entire plane and have Robart Retracts on the main gear and a retractable tail wheel. On the maiden flight, I found out that it was somewhat tail heavy althougth it was thoroughly checked before hand, and flew it for about 8 minutes and then did a roll and it went straight in from about 75 feet full throttle...:-(

That was January a year ago.....I had to rebuild the fuselage from the wing forward as well as 1/2 of the right wing. Both stabilizers sheered off at the fuselage from the impact. Fiberglassing saved me though on the fuselage back of the wing as well as 2/3's of the wing and it allowed me to rebuild this instead of rekitting it. Anyway it looks good as new and I'm getting ready for taxi tests. Had to replace the pushrod covers on the engine but that was the extent of damage.

I've got the Center of Gravity figured out again and am excited about getting in up in the air again. I picked up about a pound in the rebuild and it is about 14 pounds now. I have two microservos on each of two bomb racks, under the oil coolers on the wings and have a servo on each side of the wing for the segmented flaps, a servo on each elevator half, a servo for each aileron, one servo on rudder, one servo on throttle, and one retract servo. Whew....

Anyway, I really like the Corsair and might actually build another one some day but if I do it will be the Ziroli or the Giant Scale Top Flite. I really like those flaps when they come down...;-) and I could use the extra wing area to lower the wing loading...

Tell me about your Pica Corsair. How far along are you and what color scheme do you plan to use. There is a great book Called Whistling Death by Boone ??? who was a test pilot at Vought....in 1940...

Old 03-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Gastronom

On the Pica F4U Corsair, I haven't sheeted the wings yet becasue it has 4 servos inside of it that I won't be able to reach or adjust after the sheeting is applied. A friend suggested taht since the pushrods exit the bottom of the wing that I could put the bottom skinz on then do all of the trailing edge work and after everything is set-up then go back and put top skins on. This has held me up a bit but now I think I can get it done. The kit called for a .61 2-stroke engine when I received it. I have seen that since then they changed the specs and said to use a .46 - .61 engine. Good thing that I got a ST .75 with pitts muffler.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The fuse was challenging to build, being a full circle in all. I got the cockpit kit and was able to complete it and put it in before putting the top sheeting of the fuse on, others that I have spoken to about this left out a couple of steps becasue they couldn't get the cockpit kit in afterwards. I guess right now I have to complete the wing, mount the engine, and cover the model. I'm gonna cover it in white monokote then go over it with steel wool and then finally paint it. I think that I'll go with the dark blue, light blue, then gray on the bottom. Not going for scale, too much work involved. Jon at Pica has had been doing kit reviews for him and this is one that I have been working on. Aftyer I fly the Corsair and get enough data to write the review then I'll probably sell the beast. I'm more of a sport flyer which means that more then likely I'll get bored with it and try to do some 3D stunts at which time it'll probably stall and fall out of the air. With any luck I'll get it done before summer, been working on it for about 8 months now, well except for the really cold dayz, which have been allot around here lately.
So what pilot are you using on your Corsair? I got one of those amarine dolls from Wal-Mart and 'dorfed' him to fit in the cockpit. He is still a little tall but I think that he'll work nicely. I'm not using any retracts on this model, but I have a GP Learjet that I got for X-mas this year that I am going to try the retract thing for the first time on. Probably will use mechanical at first then I may go on to phnuematic ones.
The picture shows the issues that I have run into with the servos being mounted inside the wing and how I have tried working around it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pica_Corsair_flp_srvo.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	81  
Old 03-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Gastronom

Default Pica Corsair 1/8 scale

Here is a photo of the side of the fuse...
Oh yeah I still have to complete the tail section, the end of the fuse after the rudder..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	icomplete_corsair.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	82  
Old 05-09-2003, 02:32 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Default Here's you a novelty aircraft

This is a Parkhawk, a radio controlled Ornithopter. I have purchased one from http://www.jgrc.biz/ I have flown it about 10 - 15 times now and it is pretty easy to navigate, and believe me, every time I fly it, I get asked what it is. It flaps it's wings to fly and I have a GWS receiver and speed control in it, running a 750 Mah NIMH pack for about a 5 minute flight. There is a glide lock on it and it glides ok, no thermalling though, but a fairly controllable glide and flare to a landing.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:15 PM
dlucas48

Flyingthingz.com has the lawnmowers, witches, flags and some others. I have the L.M. (sky cutter .40), and it flies great with a good .46 on it. Good roll rate, not so great loop rate.

Dennis[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 02:13 PM
chronister

Default RE: Here's you a novelty aircraft

There is a new version of the Park Hawk available from www.ornithopter.org/store
Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Superman or Batman Novelty Aircraft

RCguy has a Superman model he has in his " latest secret project" See it here:
http://rcguy.tripod.com/

Robert
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Superman or Batman Novelty Aircraft

Just get the plans for the flying witch, and substitute Superman. It would probably be a quick changeover!!

Thinking.....always thinking!!!