Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

winter's scimitar

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 09:22 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winter's scimitar

Hello; I recently bought a scimitar type plane. I put a 40 size Irvine diesel in it, because the seller said it had a very heavy 40 two stroke in it.

I'm concerned about the c of g, I'm tempted to just try it as it is. Where should the balance point be?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
donkey doctor

Default RE: winter's scimitar

Hello; After 3 weeks no replys? Am I the only one on RCU that has one of these? I guess I'll ahve to get out my old collection of magazines and see if I can find a build article on one of these. I think RCM did one 3 or 4 years back. I'd rather not do it by trial and error.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:12 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search on yahoo for Bill Evans Simitar you will find a whole sight devoted to these planes. The c/g-balance point is near the front of the wing , in the neighborhood of the 10% mark. E-mail me if I can be of further help.
FB
Old 10-04-2004, 02:40 PM
TimC

donkey doc, I have a Simitar with a .50 Webra in it. It is a blast to fly. I cranked up the rates where it will turn on a dime. I was worried about the wings popping off, but no problems so far. I think I'll visit the website and see if anyone has converted a Simitar into a taildragger.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:12 PM
donkey doctor

Hello Tim; My scimitar is a tail dragger with the gear mounted just in front of the wing. I checked out the Evans site but I still haven't found the c of g.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:26 PM
TimC

donkey doctor, I tried to find the Bill Evans site after a Yahoo seach and had no luck. My plane was given to me a few years back, and the plans are long gone, or I would check the c.g. I can measure what I have now, if that will help. I'm not even real sure that it's a Simitar. Bill Evans designed so many different planes that look alike, I get confused. I would like to visit the site to see if I can idenitify mine for sure. Are the axles on yours just ahead of the wing, or the rear of the wheel?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Today is Oct 22 and I just did a yahoo search using only the word simitar and the 4th down is "Yahoo groups: simitar". This has been a very good sight to learn about the Simitars. I have an old mag that has a Simitar build article that I might be able to dig out if you don't find what you need from the sight.
FB
Old 10-22-2004, 02:32 PM
TimC

Thanks fredscz. I found the site. I had to join Yahoo Groups and the website. I found out there that my plane is a Simitar.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
pipercub6
My Feedback: (16)

HI,

if you check either the RCM plans catalog or the Model Airplane news plans catalog I believe you can find plans for your plane. I'm currently building a simitar type plane by Bill called the Desperado 3000. with an 84 in winspan. Power will be either a Zenoah
g23 or a ST 2000(The plans show a 3000,(thus the Name.) I will look through my stuff (old Mags) and see If I can come up with the article. That should give you a reasonably close idea for the CG location. Will get back to you later after I take a look.

Pipercub 6
Old 11-04-2004, 12:33 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Still no reply on the cof g question. I have found out that it was Bill Evans who designed the scimitar not Bill Winters. There is a new fellow at our field with a gremlin which is similar to the scimitar but just enough different to not be helpful.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
fokker38cc

Hi
What a cool site , Canada.
I have a Slow Motion , a Bill Evans design for Model Aviation, I built it with wings of white foam, the lightest and put four spars of light wood and covered with brown paper and white glue thinned at 50% water to "paint" the foam and glue thinned with 70 % water ( yes 70% water) to "paint" the paper ,because is a heavy PVA glue for wood and have a Tower 40 in front and came at 1.800 kg, lighter than the original in Model Aviation.
After it I painted with interior latex paint.
I have flown it more than 3 1/2 gallons of fuel and still work well, surviving a very bad crash caused by recycled batteries, after it I put a NEW set of batteries at receiver.
Ya know, you dont still have the CG.
I promise you, I will go to my house and measure the wing and the CG position.
Also I have the WEEDWHACKER, similar design of my Slow Motion, from a plan of Flying Models I believe, enlarged it to 2 meters wingspan and the same brown paper , etc but with a Weedeater 25 cc in front.
This is in building process, hinging in this moment the flaperons.Engine converted and home made props.
I have photos of my plane if you send me your mail, I can send, I am trying with your mail(find it) in the RC universe but my knowledge is poor.
I have finished in Model Aviation magazine colors.
I am living in South America, too windy for this reason the plane flying hour is low.
Nice to manage the wind.
Happy landings
Jose
Old 12-11-2004, 10:18 AM
fokker38cc

Hi
my flying Scimitar version (Slow Motion), Wingspan 60 1/4", plan#860 , Sept 1998 Model Aviation , Root Chord (w/o ailerons) 11 1/2"
CG measured from leading edge in plans 1 5/16"
With this set up the plane make very nice spin.
In the building article in the magazine Bill say :

"Check to make sure your aircraft balances ( level to slightly nose down) at the center of gravity (CG) location indicated in the plans (aproximately 1 1/2 inches behind the leading edge of the wing, with no fuel in the tank"

I have the plans of Flying Models magazine of Sept 2002 plans #CD 177 , "weed wacker", root chord w/o ailerons 11 1/2" and the CG measured in plans 1 1/4" from leading edge.
In the construction article in the magazine Bill says the same above.

I have experimented and the CG is not very critical, I have flying the plane with nose heavy set up and no problems ( I am a sunday flyier), after it I put 1 ounce lead in the tail and the plane is more happy at control input but still is a no stress flying plane

I believe it will help you.
I not write before because I have seen your post 3 days ago.
Happy landings
Jose
Old 12-26-2004, 12:38 PM
repinfl
My Feedback: (40)

Check out www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Evans.pdf It gives all Bill Evans designs and when and what mag published in!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:56 PM
pogo3033
My Feedback: (5)

[img][/img]

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Pictures\Airplane pictures\Construction Pictures\Zipity, do da.jpg

As you can guess I couldn't figure out how to get a picture uploaded but see below as I finally did!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
pogo3033

[img][/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 04:50 PM
mwright

pogo3033 - Are you building the Do-Da????