Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Building a Blimp

I am currently working on a 17' Blimp made to the Hindenburg scale specs. I found my design off of a site in Zurich that was a class project. Has anyone else ever built one from scratch in the US I could call or correspond with on ideas and construction techniques. The plans I have are a CAD drawing duplication of the originals in very strong engineering language. They used only mylar foil for the envelope and the structure with no infrastructure/frame. A giant balloon built by strips cut to a geometric design. Need alittle advice and help please. Thanks.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Building a Blimp

Sounds cool to me. I like to make a RC dirgible that is rigid too. Only problem is if I build it larger, shipping and storage would be a problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found one of your posts on another forum I think.....maybe not. You were asking what is the minimum length for a RC Blimp outdoors and the guy that responded had pics of a blimp in wires...thats bad. So have you built a blimp? I am looking hard for some easy to read plans and designs... have you come up with anything yet???

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Nitro1960

I found one of your posts on another forum I think.....maybe not. You were asking what is the minimum length for a RC Blimp outdoors and the guy that responded had pics of a blimp in wires...thats bad. So have you built a blimp? I am looking hard for some easy to read plans and designs... have you come up with anything yet???

Bob

I posted something like that at RC Groups. I go by the name WillowPtarmigan there. I have not built a blimp yet, but I am thinking about it. I prefably like to build a dirgible. I just got a job at AFLAC recently, so very busy. You recognize AFLAC from the duck. AFLAC! AFLAC! AFLAC! I have not come up with anything yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is this the duck you work for? Look what he is up to now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz80110.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	189180  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, the AFLAC duck. AFLAC! AFLAC! AFLAC!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob, sorry but I didn't see your post till today.

I build and market a 13 foot indoor rc advertising blimp.

In your case we face the same problem that goes with 1:1 LTA's. At a certain point an airship is too small to be a rigid dirigible. The aerodynamics gained by the rigid structure cannot be lifted by the volume of gas contained inside. At that point it is easier to build an inflated gas bag, that gives you structural rigidity with out unnecessary components. So a scale model starts by fighting unnecessary weight.

Then there is a control issue. Except for the Akron and Macon, the big rigids were aircraft. They needed forward airspeed for control by their elevators and rudders. A scale model has to fly like a rocket ship to get enough airflow over the tails to make them effective. So now you need to gimble the motors to have low speed control.

Have you been over to the blimp threads on Ezone? Lots of these points have been discussed, and one gentleman over there is building a carbon rod framed Hindenburg. He might be of help

Tom
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6
    Kadet LT 40 Brotherhood #98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Bob, sorry but I didn't see your post till today.

I build and market a 13 foot indoor rc advertising blimp.

In your case we face the same problem that goes with 1:1 LTA's. At a certain point an airship is too small to be a rigid dirigible. The aerodynamics gained by the rigid structure cannot be lifted by the volume of gas contained inside. At that point it is easier to build an inflated gas bag, that gives you structural rigidity with out unnecessary components. So a scale model starts by fighting unnecessary weight.

Then there is a control issue. Except for the Akron and Macon, the big rigids were aircraft. They needed forward airspeed for control by their elevators and rudders. A scale model has to fly like a rocket ship to get enough airflow over the tails to make them effective. So now you need to gimble the motors to have low speed control.

Have you been over to the blimp threads on Ezone? Lots of these points have been discussed, and one gentleman over there is building a carbon rod framed Hindenburg. He might be of help

Tom

I read that 9 feet is the minimum practical size for a RC dirigible. However, he said you can build it smaller then 9 feet, but it will become costly beause of the components. The RC Hindenburg is 8.5 feet. I never seen a small RC dirigible, that is an inflated airbag.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok terminology I use
    Airship = dirigible = French term for steerable balloon

Airships and dirigible come in three forms:

Rigid, trademarked as zeppelins, have a solid frame that encloses separate gas bags

Semi rigid, one big gasbag that has at least a ridged keel, possibly a nose or tail cap to hold fins.

Non rigid = a blimp. Just a gasbag that is kept taught by internal gas pressure.

The point that I was trying to make is to make a successful smaller RC airship, it is easier to make a blimp than a rigid one (A zeppelin), because in the model the frame that gives it its shape is dead weight. I didn’t mean to imply that a model of the Hindenburg should be an inflated bag, just that replicating the scale is more of a challenge.

Tom
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok terminology I use
    Airship = dirigible = French term for steerable balloon

Airships and dirigible come in three forms:

Rigid, trademarked as zeppelins, have a solid frame that encloses separate gas bags

Semi rigid, one big gasbag that has at least a ridged keel, possibly a nose or tail cap to hold fins.

Non rigid = a blimp. Just a gasbag that is kept taught by internal gas pressure.

The point that I was trying to make is to make a successful smaller RC airship, it is easier to make a blimp than a rigid one (A zeppelin), because in the model the frame that gives it its shape is dead weight. I didn’t mean to imply that a model of the Hindenburg should be an inflated bag, just that replicating the scale is more of a challenge.

Tom
    True. If I was to build a rigid airship, then transport and storing it would be a problem, especially if it is larger. An inflated bag is a lot easier to store and transport. What is the smallest RC airship to date? I know the smallest rigid is about 8.5 feet with the Hindenburg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Again, technically, the smallest airship I've seen is the large party balloon with the little IR remote unit with three fans on it.

The only rigid RC airship I've ever seen was the large IC powered R-100 by the gentleman in England.

In my mind the limiting factor on a scale rigid airship is its diameter, how can I get it into a gym or arena to fly it? As for transporting it, either build one long trailer, or split the hull in half, and transport the two shorter sections side by side in the back of a van.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Again, technically, the smallest airship I've seen is the large party balloon with the little IR remote unit with three fans on it.

The only rigid RC airship I've ever seen was the large IC powered R-100 by the gentleman in England.

In my mind the limiting factor on a scale rigid airship is its diameter, how can I get it into a gym or arena to fly it? As for transporting it, either build one long trailer, or split the hull in half, and transport the two shorter sections side by side in the back of a van.
    I saw a electric powered R-101 that is 36 feet in length built by Nigel Wells of England. There is another fellow RCU, FixinJim (sp?), who built a rigid airship that is 15 feet in length and 32 inches in diameter. As for building a rigid airship, if I was to split into two for transportation, it probably be like those large RC airplanes where the wing and sometimes the fuselage is split into two I think. Actually, I was thinking of making the rigid airship split into two, but I have to execute it well. The nature of a rigid airship would probably make it hard to split into two. That will require lots of planning, even more so then an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tom,

I am looking for an RC blimp for advertising. Can you give me more info?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Southern Ballon Works

Try that.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RonHill

Hey Tom,

Ron check your Private Messages

Tom
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi, I have a project with my soon to build a RC Blimp indoor (30"). I need to help with a step to step guide. This project is very important to my soon. Could somebody help me