Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

RC angling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC angling.

Hi all,

I know it all might sound a little geeky, but did anyone ever attempt to catch fish with an RC controlled craft on the water?

Ive allready used a small boat to dump feeder into the water. but I was thinking, why not troll around the lake with a tackle dangling from a home made machine? What I need to know though, how big does it have to be to be safe from big fish? I dont want ot to get dragged under, just like that, if it ever hooks a fat karp or something by accedent.. Its eighter making the boat big enough to withstand it, or come up with something that prevent big fish from going for the bait. All I want is some tiny fish.

Anyone got some ideas/tips? Ive got plenty of parts do whatever the hell I want, so yell out anything you can think of.
Note: No gassers, I want to keep it clean and quiet.

Cheers,
Sven
Old 01-29-2005, 10:28 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: RC angling.

ok im game....
get a 4 ft glass tug boat hull deck over flush (no wheel house) and snag proof for branches use like a front to back roll bar
power this with a electric trolling motor, some of the newer ones have a electronic motor controls so it'd be an easy conversion to put a servo on this.

get one of the new dry cell 12V car batteries that would run that all day.set the prop in a kort nozzle and steer the nozzle no exposed rudder.

you will need a deck winch like a motor powered level wind reel. use a strike indicator like a pop up flag.

you will need on board video with the camera able to spin 180 and be slaved off the steering channel so it turns with the rudder.. oh and dont for get gps....there are autonomous (self thinking) systems .....set the gps on board computer and down load todays fishing instructions....this will tag on the video screen its lat/long and with the new radio gps it will even show you where its at ........

oh fishin???......... there are two lures that work........one catches fisherman and the other catches fish

now get to work ! !

those reality...build a chopper/ whatever shows do it in 30 days.....

you have a week
Old 01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Freakazoid

Are we still talking RC? Im talking dragging some bait up and down a small lake, not send a robot tugboat out to open sea.

For controlls I have 2 aluminum speed400 motor pods that I plan to mount under a platform. Just so everyone knows, it doesnt have to look like a real boat. The autoswivel camera is a very nice suggestion. Ill keep that in mind. Ive got a busload of 3,6v 4Ah NiCD cells (128gr. each) laying around doing nothing, so I think I can put in a good 7.2v 12Ah pack in for a long runtime. It doesnt have to overpower the fish, just get it tired then drag it to the side of fisher dock. I was thinking of just making the whinch strong enough to only lower the bait, not actually reel in the fish. I could just make a tughook ontop of the boat, with a big noose sticking up from it so I can hook a rod to it and pull it to the surface.

Ive got a design in my 3d Model program, ill post it later.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:59 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

ok .....see one if the last fish i caught in alaska was a halibut near 400 pounds....... ya shoulda said you was catchin bait
Old 01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks have been fishing along the TX OK border down stream of major dams for years. It allows the finsermen to get the hook out in the middle of the flow, that's too far out to cast and the flow is too strong to stand up.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Freakazoid

Some pics of my current design can be found Here.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:13 PM
smokingcrater

i don't know if speed 400's would provide enough though, the first suggestion (modified trolling motor) would probable be the cheapest and easiest!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Freakazoid

Dont forget that Ill be fishing in holland though.

We dont have tomany big fishes over here, exept only a few carps, some pike and the ocasional (fights like a wet newspaper) bream. Im mainly targetting small voorns. 15" is as big as theill ever get.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 PM
steef_tamiya_freak

hey freakazoid

dutch men to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cool i am to
eindelijk is een nederlander!!
ik doe aan onroad auto's ik heb een tt-01
en jij?
gaaf idee om zo vis te vangen[:-][:-]
ik vang nooit grote
see you later

ps: ff een fotootje
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92096.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	224525  
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Freakazoid

Allthough people will hate it if we talked dutch, ill jump on the wagon, too.

Toffe slee! Als je trouwens een goed nederlands modelbouw forum wilt, www.modelbouwforum.nl

As for the fisher ship, I was playing with the thought of building a giant... hmm, how do you call it in english? Tacklefloat?
The motors I have, are housed in little aluminum watertight pods. And could be mounted on a swivelpoint on the side of a long tube, with a block of foam on 1 side of the pod, to make it aim flat on the water at all times. When a fish pulls, the long hull might pivot with one end upwards, with the motors still flat on the water, allowing me to still controll it i guess. Its a little radical and tricky, but with a little bit of thinking it might work.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:43 AM
steef_tamiya_freak

thanks mate

see you around[>:][:-][:-]
good idea off that baitboat or fishingboat thingy

bye bye [:-][:-]
Old 02-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Freakazoid

For those interested, heres a video animation: Radical Design.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
danhfvcsd

This has been done before - although i have absolutely no idea where i found this video, or how he has done it or any details whatsoever on it other than the video....

Just uploaded it to rcpics for ya...pretty wicked video - and it's short too - dont think it got to 1mb

Check it out...
http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=62352
Old 08-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Freakazoid

Hehe, I already have that video, its brilliant. That must be like a 4ft long tub. Thats a little on the big side for me to just carry around.

Maybe somewhere along the lines of a motorised buoy, kinda like fishers use, but 100 times bigger. A bucketsize pill.
Perhaps I could use two 800size motors and put in a 12v 7A Pb battery. That should give enough power to beach a whale.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

It's been done it's in one of the old radio control boat mags. Forget which one but i think i have it some where. If i find it i scan it. It also has the maker and article on it.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:14 PM
SciFiFlyer

Yeah! saw something similar on "America's Funniest Videos", too! The guy used a Kyosho deep v, the fish almost pulled the transom under a few times.

One way to settle ruffled feathers if fishermen start complaining about your boat scaring the fish away, is to attach a plate to the back of your boat and haul their bait out wherever they want it.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:37 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

Here you go....the Dam Boat!
http://www.wings-n-things.com/dboat/index.htm

-Rocko
Old 11-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Freakazoid

Quite nice boat! Stupendously expencive though.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 PM
SoMoney

That Trolling boat is huge!

Some guy named Carl allegedly obtained a U.S. patent for this (his?) idea.
(can anyone confirm?)
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...04/ai_n8893653

The Artical was written in the year 2000 so if he hasnt figured out how to market his idea by now he's a big looser and doesnt deserv the copyright.

I saw it on Americas funniest too and LMAO!

Carls sollution was to add a TURBO mode. He flipped the switch and it bumps the voltage from 6v to 12v! Your overpowering your motor but as long as its not for an extended period it should give you the PUNCH needed to get you in to shore.

I was thinking of a similar idea but attaching a 4-6lb main line to a 2lb leader which is attached to the boat. If the boat gets dragged under it should be enough to break the 2lb leader freeing the boat yet leaving your 4-6lb main line intact to bring in that faty in to shore!
Of corse this idea require two anglers (1 for the remote and one for the rod).

Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

You may want to have a look at this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXE411&P=V]running gear[/link] setup. It's for a Mr Darby tug and has unreal power. It's for two motors and has as I recall a 7:1 reduction gear setup. Not a real speed demon but has a ton of power. I use to pull the better half around the marina on an air mattress all day long with a 12volt bike battery and the Mr Darby I have was about 55 lbs when ready to sail.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 PM
SoMoney

I was browsing ebay for large boats under $100 shipped and think a cheap way to go would be to pick up a dual hull Hydro Boat

Then attached a spring loaded Fly Reel

When a fish hits the line, the Spring Loaded real automaticaly reels the fish in and keeps the line tight untill you get to shore!

Total investment
$200

Total Fun:
Priceless
Old 12-01-2005, 11:07 AM
biteme
Banned

You guy are missing it. There have been vids on Americas Funniest Videos, of a guy fishing with an R/C Helicopter equiped with floats. The guy buzzed the pond a few times ( a la fly fishing ) then set her down; 'bout 5 seconds later the heli bobled, then took off, carrying what looked like about a 1lb trout. Not bad.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Freakazoid

Heheh, I saw that. Are you dutch by any chance?

I woulnd try the helicopter bit though. What if a bigass bass clams its gumms around the bait and bolts off. It would set you back a good 500 bucks I think. [&:]
Old 12-01-2005, 07:20 PM
biteme
Banned

No, not Dutch, I'm Californian ( which I have to admit is part of the U.S. of America, but I don't necessarily agree with many of the other states in the Union- 'nuff said), but I had a Dutch girlfriend a while back...Whew!('nuff said)
I'm glad someone else remembered this...My brain is packed with useless details and trivia, which spring into my head at the darndest times; yet I can never remember what it was my wife sent me to the grocery store for. Most distressing Maybe I need to do more fishing and relax????
Old 03-27-2006, 02:50 AM
idajack

I might go so far as to suggest that you determine the positive bouancy of your boat and simply use a light enough leader to prevent the boat from being submerged. the weakest link theory