Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Piasecki VZ-8P "airgeep"

Old 03-21-2005, 09:13 AM
JBRIODY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piasecki VZ-8P "airgeep"

Hi All,
I am new to RC's and need some advice. I am building a 1/12 scale version of the Piasecki VZ-8P "airgeep." I am using styrofoam. The model is 12" wide. 24" long, and 2" thick. It has two rotor ducts, each 8" in diameter and 14" center to center. The model weighs 5oz bare naked. Until I figure out how to post a picture of it, you can google search for Piaseck VZ-8P or just VZ-8P to see the type of aircraft I am talking about, or go to RCGroups forum and search the word "Piasecki". It was originaly built by the Army and Navy between 1958-1962 and they actually flew. My questions to you all are... do you have any ideas about how I can make this thing fly? I want counter rotating rotors. I want to go electric. I would like to have thrust vectoring vanes underneath the rotor ducts just like the original, but may consider other directional flight controls. I would like three bladed rotors, again to keep it looking as much like the original as possible. Come on vtol guy, vtol maverick, and others, GOT IDEAS???
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 AM
LJN 1

Default RE: Piasecki VZ-8P "airgeep"

Greetings from Melbourne AUSTRALIA

Have been thinking about your request
Considered just such a model of the Airgeep awhile back
Found the control problems difficult to overcome particularly if trying to use the Originals vane control system.
My suggestion is to mount the prop hubs on a gimbal [universal jiont] with a rod connected to the gimbal. That way you can efectively "tilt"
the props/rotors in the desired direction and direct the prop thrust aordingly This way you can acheive control in all the control axi along with deffirntial thrust for turning etc
You'll need to devise a belt drive to the rotors or you could mount the motor and prop as a unit to the gimbal itself - If you use a belt drive use something with a bit of "stretch" in it to allow for prop hub movement about it's vertical axis
Regarding duplicateing the full size vehicles vane system, could I sugest you simply fit them to the models for "show" only This would make things a lot easier in the long run

Inccidently I considered the 'SEAGEEP' variant simply because this was quiped with inflatable floats - makes construction of the landing gear far more simpilier

Hope this helps - let me know how you fare
Old 05-04-2005, 08:21 PM
JBRIODY

Default RE: Piasecki VZ-8P "airgeep"

Check out this video!

http://www.unmannedaircraft.builders...ge/1357250.htm