Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Rocketbelt Jetbelt

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Rocketbelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocketbelt Jetbelt

Hi, wondering if anyone has contemplated or attempted a Rocketbelt or Jetbelt model.
I think it would be very cool to see a roughly scale model fly.
Here are some thoughts.
Takeoff: Could use a launch rod like a model rocket to give it some stability prior to takeoff.
Landing: I think it would be a big ask for the pilot to land this top heavy device on sale sises feet maybe a catch net or the like would be appropriate. Or maybe something unusual like a magnetic landing pad that would attract and capture the metal soles of the models shoes.
Power: This is the hard bit. Compressed air from a carbon wrapped paint-ball bottle through nozzles very scale short flight time but the real thing only flys for 30 seconds so its realistic. Glow ducted fan not my first choice but possible.
Electric ducted fan might be possible with lithiums and very light construction.
Turbine Power, with the intake pointing down and the exhaust channeled through bifurcated ducts.
So guys what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94406.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	422773  
Old 03-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Rocketbelt

Default RE: Rocketbelt Jetbelt

Hi,
Me again!
Now I know this looks like a long shot but wouldnt this make a cool model? Something different, something unusual, as far as I know its NEVER been done, now of course there could be an ultra modern look or a histoical retro look but seeing something like this at the flying field would be great. Ive posted a page from one of the original patents. Any ideas?
Best Regards

Name:	Ge95310.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	424592  
Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
SciFiFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

EDF, like these?

No kittens were harmed in the making of this music video.

Name:	Rp43407.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	424788  
Old 03-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Rocketbelt

Well I think I can take a hint. This must be something just I think would be cool. To bad I was looking forward to a bit of discussion. How about the LLRV?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM
SciFiFlyer

I know what you're talking about with rocket belts.

I remember seeing a student project vehicle that used pulse jets to hover, the vehicle was the size of 2-3 soup cans. The vehicle had the ability to stabilize itself and change positions much like a r/c helo. Short flight time due to limited fuel on board. That sequence was shown on the tail end of a Discovery Channel show, can't remember which one.

So don't think it can't be done, but forewarned it's not going to be a "parts bin" job.

Chemical propulsion will be your best power/weight option, but you may try CO2 first.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
thrillair

Hello

Yes I'm building a scale model of a jetbelt :-) It will be finished and ready for testing in the next few weeks hopefully. I'm just waiting on my manifolds to be built. I'm using 2 JJ1400 turbo jets and will be testing a few different configurations with the engines. All the frame and mounts have been made but I'm still waiting on a few bits to be built and havn't even tested the engines yet as i've had a bit of trouble getting the aeroshell 500 turbine oil. This forum is quite old so no one will probabley actually read this but if you are then there you go. byebye :-)
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 PM
hands without shadows

Wasnt the rocket belt powered by a hydrogen peroxide decomposition, and didnt have like, 30 second fly times. If your going to be making a scale model, its not gonna get any more efficient, and runtimes are gonna be like 5 seconds, just a thought.

thrillair, you actually making more of a Bell jet flying belt, much better design, longer flytimes and greater speeds, albeit a little more complex, looking forward to seeing it!
Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM
MikeBiv

Wouldn't it be clever if you had a depron profile of a rocketbelt man, nicely painted (think Gws Mr.Lin Magician or Hobby-Lobby Convair XFY-1 Pogo) and powered it with a Brushless motor. Probely could mostly leave it white, paint the helmet and jet pack. It would be sooo cool!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

itd be really really nice if the made EDF's in counter rotating pairs, itd eliminate the torgue, have the the batteries down at his feet, rock the jets back and forth to go foward and back then if the body could swivel left and right it could act like a rudder, or perhaps change the fan speeds, so the torgue would rotate it.....
Old 06-15-2006, 04:59 PM
thrillair

Ok

What i'm doing is building about 4-5 different models all with different engine configurations. I have 2 JJ1400 units and the point of the project is to see how much the torque reaction from the engines affects the behaviour of the machines whilst in flight. I'm awaiting a thrust vector nozzle to be delivered to start mt first test with a single engine positioned vertically downwards. I'm expecting that it will take-off and spin out of controlwith the gyro/torque affects from the high speed rotational mass from the enignes.

Once that is proven I will then place a second directly opposing the first. I will need to build a bifurcated reverse thrust pipe for this so it may take a while to build. I'm hoping that the opposing enigine will near-zero the gyro effect through the 2 engines counter-rotating. Easier said than done of course as thier are many probems to over come. Enigne syncronisation induction resonance and air starvation to name just 2. Still its gonna be educational working through all the problems. There are a few other configs I will also try but the aforementioned holds most promise and logic with me.

I hope you can picture in your minds what it is i'm gonna build as I'm not always great at explaining some things.

If your interested in my developments then log-on to the Jetbelt group @ Yahoo. Me and a few others around the world all share the same dream. A real working Jetpack could be built with the technology that is around now. As an educated guess I would say that it is possible to build one for around ÂŁ45,000 GBR. It could fly for about 4-6 minutes at speed pushing 90mph. Or if your an idiot you build one like Darren Herrona (serial madman/weirdo www.skywalkerjets.com)

Regrds :-D
Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What happened to the guy that had a jet pack already mocked up and was selling the rights to put your name as a sponsor (on the pack) on ebay? he had pics and everything, it was I believe 8 rc turbines .. I think he was well over 4-5 hundred pounds of thrust . I wouldn't strap it on, but I would love to see it work...maybe it all disappeared because the military is looking into it?

If it was a hoax he did some serious work, and spending on it..
Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM
derwin777

Hello!Hello! I have written a little book about the Rocket Belt along with the history and construction of an actual model. It was called the AMAZING ROCKET BELT! For the past year I have been in the process, along with other individuals, in developing a working half scale rocket belt. We have come up with a couple good ideas, but it seems when it comes to flight duration we are having problems. Please email me if you would like to join our Rocket-Belt idea team. If we use any of your ideas, you will be re-embursed for your aid to the project. Contect me at [email protected]

Derwin Beushausen
Elwood, Illinois
Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Oldway

I think I'll try to make a ducted fan version ala "Mythbusters" using Stunt Steve. www.prolineracing.com/proline.html
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Ken6PPC

This has been done for real! [link=http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html]Jet Man[/link] Click on "Play" to watch the INCREDIBLE video.

I would call this, "The Realization of Man's Greatest Dream...." Even Leonardo DeVinci wanted to do this more than anything else.

I WANT ONE!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
KingCobra2

Now that was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: SciFiFlyer

EDF, like these?

No kittens were harmed in the making of this music video.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
markoid

Martin Jetpack.
Ok now we have something to model>

Name:	Lj21477.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1005302