Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

RC Lawnmower

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
tnpshow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Lawnmower

Hey peoples tnpshow here, long time 'background lurker'

I've been dabbling with RC for a while now - I have a Duratrax Firehammer which I love and thrash to death.
My latest project is a little more DIY - I've combined a Lawnmower, custom built frame and a wheelchair to come up with this:
[link=http://members.iinet.net.au/~tnpshow/RCLM/intro.htm]DIY RC Lawnmower[/link]

There's heaps of pics and enough info to be able to build your own (If you're keen enough - it's a lot of work!).
There's still some info missing for the latest controller version, but it's coming shortly.

Check it out!

TnP

(end of shameless plug )
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 PM
machmanchuck

Default RE: RC Lawnmower

Hi

I am planning on doing the same type of conversion....I have the wheelchair motors, wheels and controler, also a rear bagger self propeled mower. Here are a few questions/comments if I may.

1. I am planning on connecting servos directly to the wheelchair joystick, hoping to avoid any RF interference from those huge motors, any thoughts.
2. Since the mower is already self propeled with a pulley/clutch to the front wheels. I want to install a 24v alternator at this point to charge the batteries.
3. With essentially unlimited power, I think I will put a small 12v air compressor with a small tank, probably a 1lb modified propane cylinder.
4. I have a long stroke bimba air cylinder to lift the bag, I think the most durable way to operate the cylinder is via 2 small three way valves, has anyone operated valves with servos, if so what size ( servo and valve)

Chuck
Old 02-13-2007, 10:11 PM
machmanchuck

Oh just had another idea, how bout a cheapo battery powered weedwhacker mounted on a air cylinder retractable arm. Or even a leaf blower mounted the same way.......damn Im lazy
Old 02-13-2007, 10:51 PM
tnpshow

Damn - I just lost my post due to a time out

Sounds like a Swiss Army Mower

Here goes again:

1. I tried this method and it's not as easy as it sounds to get working 'well'. Once setup properly however, it's the simplest solution by far!
2. I'd like to do this eventually - if the alternator was beefy enough, you could reduce the size of the required batteries considerably as the alternator could play a big part in driving those too.
3&4. When you've got it...why not?

Re the weedwhacker - good idea - the one thing I'm left to do after a session of hard mowing is to manually trim the edges... oh the humanity . Incidentally, have you seen the 'Lawnadillo'?
[link=http://www.honkernet.net/ahs/departmental/Robotics_engineering/Lawnadillo.htm]Lawnadillo[/link]
[link=http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/aa4f2c9363e0d010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html]How-to on Popular Science Mag[/link]
Old 02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
machmanchuck

Thanks for the advice...

As for the alternator, 24v is harder and much more expensive..... I wish the wheelchair was 12v, maybe I could work out an alternating charging system, charging only one of the two batteries at a time. I dont know how that would work....Maybe running the wheel chair motor off 12v and adjusting the gearing???

I think I will start with the air compressor and air operated bagger
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think tinkering with the gearing would be a bit difficult, im assuming the wheelchairs are just a work driving a planetary gear, right? well if you put a smaller gear in then you will have to move the motor around and fiddle with it to get it to mesh properly.

i think the original mower was simple enough... your not exactly going to be out there all day playing with your mower are you? (well if you will then you need to get out more :P ) so a couple of 12V batts would be adequate i should think, or use the wheelchairs stock batteries as most wheelchairs can usually run around for a couple of hours before needing a rehcharge.

even better if you have a ride-on mower! [>:] a couple of mega servos and your in buisness...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:26 PM
-EXTRA-

but i like mowing
Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
jgeck90

i bet you guys cant wate for that day you can set outside in a lawn chair and mow your lawn haha!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Thalass

This is great! My own (slowly progressing, ok so it's pretty much stalled) project is similar, only it will be steam-powered. Probably using electric motors for whippersnipper things, with power generated from an extra steam engine.

I should probably get some sketches finished so I can show people. :P
Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
machmanchuck

Steam powered, now I have to see that. Great idea though could run on sitcks and logs, spare lumber, coal, coke or even gasoline
I have wanted a small steam engine to hook up to a generator heead, but I have no idea where to find one
Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Wild Foamy

well ive giot an old self propelled electric floor cleaner, one of the big buggers they use in shopping malls and also a self propelled mower... may have to try that some day :P
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
stauf6366

http://members.iinet.net.au/~tnpshow/RCLM/intro.htm
A 1975 f100 truck altenator will work for charging 24v batteries. Alos here is a link to a site that has a lot of info for rc lawn mowers
Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 PM
machmanchuck

Ok guys

I am building a frame that the mower and deck will sit in. i am using 2 inch steel angle that is fully welded. I think it will be overkill at about 50 pounds for the frame, but those wheelchairs will haul around some pretty fat people.

Thanks for the altrenator, I will try to find one at a junkyard.

Spring is here and I hate mowing, so its either this or a couple gallons of roundup

Chuck
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 AM
fakermage

Just checked on 24 volt alti and it cost about 100 or so.
Any Gm Alti can be converted to 24 volt.
I'm thinking of using scooter motors anyone seen them they go as high as 400 watts.

Glenn
Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
machmanchuck

How do you convert the altrenator from 12v to 24v?

Chuck
Old 05-01-2007, 04:49 PM
shopteacher

evatech has the RC lawnmower conversion kits for alternators
we also have a build site http://www.honkernet.net/AHS/departm..._Lawnmower.htm

we use the 24 volt system with speed controlers from robotpower.. they use a battery eliminator circuit that controls the flow to the wheelchair motors.. evatechs is a 24 volt system that uses an alternator.. carlos is cool.. call him

Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 AM
DEFORCER

u know, i would just put some giant servos on my real mower. you know where i can get some capable of doing this. ive already seen a full sized rc car but i cant find those kids of servos
Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
jongscx

the mythbusters just used an electric wheelchair motor/wheel mounted on its side, and bolted to the steering wheel...
Old 06-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Wild Foamy

i remember them doing it on "Scrapheap challenge" on time (TV show, similar to Junkyard wars) they used a compressed gas cylinder to work the shifter (it was automatic, but they used it to switch into Drive, Neutral and Reverse), a wheelchair wheel attached to the steering wheel to turn and i forget what they used for the accelerator pedal...

could be done though, if you have the tools and materials
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
calvino

Trying to put a little fun into a borring job I did see an RC lawnmower on a modern marvels once (not that long ago). Tt was prety funny to watch this thing driving around mowing the lawn via a remote control. Any plans to make an RC weed wacker, blower... Prety funny, whrere do ya get all the cool motors and stuff (because they are not cheap if purchased new[:@]). Dude, the mythbusters will take anything and make it do what was not intended to do.... great show though (avid fan, will watch the same episode in reruns about 3+ times)