Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Nitro Draganflyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
LaBam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Draganflyer

I was just pondering on the idea of making a machine similar to the Draganflyer but using a .30 four stroke with a belt drive system. I wonder if it would work. Could anyone contribute ideas and/or suggestions? I think it would be one of the coolest things ever.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
slowstang88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro Draganflyer

i guess anything is possible, but you would have to have 4 clutches for each rotor that engages/disengages via 4 servos. electric is better for this setup because of lower weight and being to individually control the rpm of each motor. good luck

edit- i just realized youre from cleavegas, im from ringgold georgia!! im in japan right now though.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 AM
LaBam

Man, I haven't heard anyone call it Clevegas on these forms before. Well, I haven't heard anyone call it that but my friends and I. I was thinking maybe having the rotors constantly spin. I'd use a single clutch on the engine and reverse two rotors using pulleys. What are you doing in Japan, so far away from home?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be possible to have a central engine power all rotors at the same rpm. The difference is that you would have to come up with a collective pitch system to control the movements of the helicopter. After a little thought, the fore and aft rotors could give you the elevator control. The left and right rotors could give you the aileron control. Increasing collective in all rotors at the same time would give you altitude control, and tilting the rotors in the same direction could give you yaw (rudder) control.

Let me know if it works, I want a cut of the earnings as I contributed with the basic idea.

Rafael
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 AM
slowstang88

ORIGINAL: LaBam

Man, I haven't heard anyone call it Clevegas on these forms before. Well, I haven't heard anyone call it that but my friends and I. I was thinking maybe having the rotors constantly spin. I'd use a single clutch on the engine and reverse two rotors using pulleys. What are you doing in Japan, so far away from home?

im in the u.s. airforce, thats what im doing in japan..lol. i used to cruise cleveland right after a shooting on the brainerd strip related to street racing. a random murder tends to make cops drive people out of there that are loitering and generally breaking the law...lol.. i had a 77 nova with a 383 stroker, ported vortec heads, single plane intake, a cam with waaay too much overlap, and a predator carb, built th350 with reverse manual valvebody, and a tci streetfighter 3500 stall converter. then that thing got too expensive to keep gas in, so i bought a civic..... thats what i cruised clevegas in, it was a red 95 civic ex, it was waay too slow (compared to the nova), so it got a 50hp shot zex kit to hold me over to a better job to afford 5mpg in the nova..lol..
Old 05-16-2007, 04:54 PM
LaBam

Rafael-I thought of the same thing, I was thinking about taking the rotor assemblies from four 450 sized electric helicopters.
Mahogany- I hear you when you say that 5mpg is a pain. I have a project truck that has a supercharged 350 in it. She clocks in at over 175 mph[>:]. But she gets a mere 6.28 mpg and with gas expected to reach $4.00 a gallon by mid summer, I think I'll be driving my honda civic.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 PM
LaBam

After doing the math I'm gonna have to make a move to a bigger powerplant. I was thinking along the lines of a YS .63 or a Saito .72.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 AM
slowstang88

good luck on that project, as for my cars now, we have a 2000 civic family wagon (soon to get traded in on a new liberty crd), and i have an 88 mustang (rustang, mudstain) with a .030 over 2.3L turbo engine from a turbo coupe and a t-5 trans.. it too has a lot of mods, but i dont feel like listing all the crap... plus im already uuber hijacking your thread!! carry on sir!