Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Polaris 900 Fusion 33A w/MM4600 &3S

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Polaris 900 Fusion 33A w/MM4600 &3S

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 PM
cflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 900 Fusion 33A w/MM4600 &3S

I gutted my new Polaris 900 Fusion, installed MM4600 with stock 14T pinion, 3S 15-25C 2150 mah lipo, and a standard servo. I then logged repeated 33A spikes with averages around 8-10 amps.
I'm going to remove the MM esc and use a 36A Thunderbird, the 4600 is way too much. I have to nurse the throttle and can balloon the track at anytime. Judging from my throttle position a 2000kv motor would be plenty fast to control on +traction. Everything was colder after the runs than in the house excepy for the bat. which just slitly heated.

The suspension is rediculously hard, I cut one of the rear springs arms so it no longer has anything to do with the rear end and shortened the arm on the other spring, releasing it from one point and letting drop down to ride on one of the bogie wheels axles.
This satisfies me for the rear and softened it up dramaticly, making it functional.

I'm thinking of using LST arms on the front to widen the track & fabricating a new bulkhead type plate and shock tower. This would let me get into that sweet spot where it's just flying with out getting jostled onto it's side. That means tie rods which I don't have at the moment. I made use of the original servo saver type control arm by putting a bolt through it to solidify its gappy behavour and fabbed some sheet metal brackets for the servo. If this is in your future, be sure and keep the servo low as to clear the motor support if you intend to keep it. I also, increased it's ability to turn by moving the linkage closer to the king pin. Knowing the MM was going to be too much, I went and ran peices of a metal coat hanger under every other cog on the drive wheel as learned of in an older post.

I got my answer, I was assuming a spare 35A esc would finaly get put to use.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
cflight

Default RE: Polaris 900 Fusion 33A w/MM4600 &3S

Hey guys! Sorry for the misinformation a 2000 KV motor wouldn't cut it.
I ran the 4600 KV motor wide open throttle at the end of a pack and its gets it to the limits for a straight run.
To me this is a perfect power plant. Now I just need to get the suspension to handle it.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
cflight

Well, twists and turns with the 4600,
I chopped up the front end last night and this morning , opening the front of the "wheel well" to accomidate a sheet metal bulkhead, LST arms ,and 100mm aluminum bodied shocks. This added enough weight along with the chopped spring popping of the bogie wheel axle and draging on the track to heat the 4600 beyond comfortable. I can't hold my fingers on it for more than a couple seconds. Hopefully removing the draging spring will bring the temp back down, because it's a blast now that it's not tipping over all the time.
I noticed it rides and hooks up better when the rear end is fully squatted anyhow.

Adding almost 2" width to the front track is just what this thing needed. I used Losi LST1 arms and c hubs with a 5mm kingpin, epoxying the little black plastic arms (found in the front end, part of the servo saver assembly?) to the 5mm kingpin and drilling through the kingpin to secure the ski solid. With the shock in the way I rerouted the steering linkage, aka close hanger.

It now screams and is stable, onto freeing up that spring and tentioning the track to keep it from ballooning.
I can't wait for the MXZ to show up, as mods are thoroughly covered hear at RCU and it appears to be a better platform.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 PM
cflight

Pic of Polaris w/ LST arms,
Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
cflight

Here's the pic,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45743.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	832182  
Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
cflight

I just ran this Polaris again after fixing the rearend solid, by chopping that last spring and running a peice of coat hanger through the rearend, in between the spring ends that rap around the shaft, reason being fully bottomed out the track catches the tub.
The LST arms and 5mm kingpins weigh 2X the stock setup, but it no longer flips at all. After 15 min. of wide open runs up and down the drive way the MM esc is slightly warm but the MM4600 is still hot. I know there was a huge differance in power after the front end got changed out, but what sense is there in having unusable power.
If you have the passion to mod one of these, I would suggest a lighter front end with the width similar to the above pic, keep in mind the snow getting plowed by the arms, as my setup grabs a ton. I would also suggest a larger can, keeping in mind I'm running 3S and 4600 kv utilizing the stock 14T pinion and the speed is good, too much for an unwidened sled. Optimally I could run this sled faster gearing up an XL, but I wasn't looking to spend any coin on this project, just utilize what I already have for winter. Though next year I should have something to remove from an LST2 conversion and use and that should get one of these 1/8 sleds competative with a nitro.