Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

rc tracks

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default rc tracks

id like to make some tank like tracks for my rustler. i think i can make som custom tires, and a smaller wheel toward the front of the chassis for the tracks to run on. what i dont know, is where to get some rubber. it must come in a lengths which i can cut, attach the ends together and must be strong enough that i can drill holes in(the holes where be where i put small screws that will attach a back plate on the underside, and a tread on the outside. iv seen it done like this on junkyard wars to make tank tread) any ideas where to look? or products that could be modified this way? i want to have the treads on the back, and skiis on the front of my rustly for next winter
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 AM
rickster3057

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rc tracks

Hi nitro, did this to my old truck using a beat up 1/10 tank,one track broke in half so made 2 smaller tracks it is electric but would be really easy to nitro just take your rear wheels off and attach the tank sprocket.
The shot of the airboat has the finished truck in the background and the half built model has the truck ski,s for the front.
hope this helps
Rickster3057.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66046.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	959422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16457.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	959423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38831.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	959424  
Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

interesting. different from how i was thinking of doing it. i bought some 1/8inch thick rubber strips off ebay. they ar 6inch wide and 48 inch long, so ill have to cut them down. then make treads for them. i think i can make the tracks for under $30 including the price of the rubber.
mounting my tracks will be tricky, i dont have a bunch of small wheels. i have 4 2.2 rims, and 4 mini t rims. ill have to work with those.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
emperorchuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could check [link=http://www.rctankcombat.com/]www.rctankcombat.com[/link] as they have an extensive How To article archive, several of which deal directly with all kinds of scratchbuilt treads like you're planning. You could also poke around in the RC Tanks forum [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm[/link]
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

hey, thanx for the rctankcombat link, that was very helpful. mainly cause it pointed out a track design that worked well in snow, which is what im going for.