Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Videos Of My Modified Hobby Excavator

Here we have videos of my modified hobby excavator which started life as a normal cheap radio controlled model after a lot of work its now is almost finished as a proper full function model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct63v48WZWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wTDVdg2hqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqwpXCx8R8

When you buy these models the first problem is that there is always a function missing. On this model the Bucket does not have its own movement and the Turret only turns three quarters of the way around and is also very slow.
    I placed a small powerful gearbox inside the dipper arm, which controls the bucket movement, as it should.
    The second problem is that none of the movements have speed control. I removed all the original radio equipment and replaced the top half of the Excavator with its own separate proper 4 channel radio equipment which control individual speed controllers and control the movements of the arm.
    I modified the gearboxes in the arm to give it more movement. As standard you dont get any height, reach or digging depth. Once the modifications have been made the arm reaches and digs as it should. The Clicking noise you can here is the gear box saver clutches which stop the gearbox stripping when you reach the end of travel or overload the arm.
    The next thing was to change the drive system on the turret. The original gearbox was very slow and only turned around three-quarters of the way round.
    I custom built a gearbox with the correct ratio which makes the turret spin around and around at the correct speed.
    By keeping the lower tracked part and the upper section of the excavator separate with there own battery and radio system enables you to do this so this model has 2 radio systems fitted.
    The Lower Tracked part of the model has its own separate radio system and battery which operates the 2 electronic speed controllers two motors and gearboxes which operate the tracks.
    This part has not yet been finished yet so are not shown in these videos.
    I also fitted a Diesel Sound Generator, which has 2 simple settings low tick over speed and running speed, which gives the required effect.
    Still work to do to the lower part of the machine, which controls the tracks so, watch this space.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Videos Of My Modified Hobby Excavator

Thats awesome m8 [8D]
    Looks like your enjoying moving the garden round
    HPI Baja 5B, T-MAXX3.3, STAMPEDEVXL ,TT-01R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work,
    There\'s a right way and wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is trying to make everybody else do it the right way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where did you get it from and how long did it take from ordering the excavator till you received it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I am very interested in what you did to make your RC construction vehicles function better. I have some questions:

1. Are these the vehicles made by Hobby Engine?

2. Do you have any pictures to show your gearboxes, placement of your gearboxes/radio equipment, etc?

Thank you,

Dan
    My video channel for RC tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LowBudgetRC?feature=mhee

WWW.TRAVELINGMINISPEEDWAY.COM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback