Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

balancing the flying lawn mower - PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi, I am working on a flying lawnmower from tennessee model products. It will be powered by a thundertiger pro .91. the book lists the cg between 8 and 10 " back from the leading edge. Do you balance it right side up or inverted? right side up seems to take almost 10 oz of lead to get it to balance at 10 ", but inverted only takes about an ounce or two. Both ways seem like it wants to fall off the cg stand if it is bumped slightly in either direction.

Thanks for your time

gentle winds and soft landings,

Aileron101
    Gentle winds and soft landings....

Aileron101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: balancing the flying lawn mower - PLEASE HELP!!!

the flying lawnmower is top heavy as you can tell from your balance, try to lower your plane on the cg stand so that the wing is lower than where you have it now.
    Im a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: balancing the flying lawn mower - PLEASE HELP!!!

ORIGINAL: aileron101

Hi, I am working on a flying lawnmower from tennessee model products. It will be powered by a thundertiger pro .91. the book lists the cg between 8 and 10 " back from the leading edge. Do you balance it right side up or inverted? right side up seems to take almost 10 oz of lead to get it to balance at 10 ", but inverted only takes about an ounce or two. Both ways seem like it wants to fall off the cg stand if it is bumped slightly in either direction.

Thanks for your time

gentle winds and soft landings,

Aileron101
    What you say here is impossible, the balance point will be in the same place whether the plane is right side up or upside down. It will be easier to unbalance (cause it to rapidly rotate if right side up though as the CG will be above the axis you are trying to balance it at (remember CG has 3 dimensionsnot the two you are measureing with the balance device). So, it will be esier to adjust weights to shift the CG (fore and aft dimensions) if the plane is balanced upside down. The results will be the same however whether rightside up or upside down. For ease, keep that third dimension (the up-down one) below the fore-aft one you are trying to adjust.