Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gigantic scale rc boat project

I know this should maybe be posted in the boat section, but this is such a large project, I thought it could qualify for unusual status. I inherited this project at my hobbyshop. It was started by a former employee and basically shelved for a long time. This boat is at least 6 ft. long and has a wood hull covered in fiberglass. The customer wants it to run off of a trolling motor battery and already has two coke can-sized motors going to the props. That is about it. I'm not sure of what kind of speed control to use; especially since he wants each motor to be controlled independently. The harder part of this is he wants throttle sticks to move in sinc with the power going to the prop like a real boat and a steering wheel to move with the direction of the prop. I have built rc crawlers and even a six-wheel drive E-Maxx, but never anything like this. I'm not sure where to start??? HELP!!! Just point me to a web site or even a few tips would be great. I have no rc boat experience whatsoever. Yep a waternoob tackling this....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gigantic scale rc boat project

Some pic's would be helpful. Like what type of boat is it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah sorry, I'll have some pics this weekend. It looks like an ocean sport-fishing boat, I guess. Kinda like one of these. I'm guessing it could be ran through a spektrum system with a multiple channel radio. I don't think cost is much of an issue for this guy...

http://www.fishdestin.com/boatgallery.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

interesting project, 3-4 feet is fairly normal for a scale RC boat, 6 feet is starting to get big, but not unheard of... i have a few projects in that size range that have yet to even be started.

considering what he wants, cost not being an issue is going to help. lol. first thing you need a controller, do a search for a marine RC radio's etc, they used to make some realy good ones a while back, may be able to pick one up cheap, some have realy nice setups for RC boats with dual-quad throttle and a steering type function that also shows your realitive rudder position. outside of that realm your probbly going to a aircraft style controler on a ground frequency. but if he wants a "realistic" controler that marine RC radio is your best bet.
    as far as batterys, with big coke can motors like that, 12V gel cells are perfect, pretty simaler to a trolling motor but geared more towards RC boats, easy to manage, charge etc cheap and will give a lot of run time. if you have the room (with 6 feet of boat you should) use 2 for 2 motors, 2 batts, 2 ESC's and 2 motors is a good setup. you dont need high amp racing ESC's, high voltage yes but if its a scale boat dont waist your money on racing equiment.
    ESC's look around marine boat pages, especially ones from europe, here in america the trend for RC boats usually has nothing to do with scale boating, kits etc.
    if you find some links to european boat websites your likley to find a wider selection of ESC's and other equiement for larger scale style boats.

if youve spend time setting up a crawler and building a 6X6 emax, this is nothing out of your ability. especially if most of it is allready done.
    "The harder part of this is he wants throttle sticks to move in sinc with the power going to the prop like a real boat and a steering wheel to move with the direction of the prop" a little more detail on that part please.
    Function over fashion, I dont do shelf queens!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

picturessssss!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The harder part of this is he wants throttle sticks to move in sinc with the power going to the prop like a real boat and a steering wheel to move with the direction of the prop.

Easy. Servos and Y cables.