Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Polaris RMK modding.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
kennebell50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris RMK modding.

I've got a Kyosho Blizzard on order but its taking for ever to get here so i was in Kmart the other day and saw this Polaris so I got it, charged the battery (9.6), and it sucked horribly. Within hours of buying I found myself gutting it out, dremeling openings, and fitting in a Traxxas XL-5 water proof system. I had a hell of a time doing the steering linkages and getting a real servo in there. I tried it out and it seems as though the torque of the 550 12T makes the track cog a bit in deep wet snow. I've got more work ahead of me but its well on its way. I think I'm going to need about 6 turn motor to make up for the extreme low gearing I have to use for clearance reasons. Other than that it seemed OK.

[img=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4955/003jj8.th.jpg]
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
kennebell50

Default RE: Polaris RMK modding.

Here is the point when I had it gutted. Kind of spooky thing to do with something you just purchased new and don't know if what you are doing will work. Kind of voids any warranty. Now that I've done the project I've kind lost interest in it. My Kyosho Blizzard will be here tomarrow so i'll focus on that instead. With a 6 turm mod motor this would be fast as hell or even nitro it.

[img=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8140/002om7.th.jpg]
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Shvelle

Default RE: Polaris RMK modding.

What size pinion did you use?

I too just bought one of these and it is horrible. So I gut it and am now considering options.

Everyone else seems to modify the larger New Brite ones (24"), but these smaller ones present a definite space issue.