Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Hovercraft from Kohls:

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
skitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hovercraft from Kohls:

Hi guys,

Newbie here on this forum. I'm into R/C tanks 1/16 Hen Long.....

Anyhow, my brother bought this hovercraft at Kohls over the christmas holiday and the center motor stopped working. I pulled the motor out and it turned out to be bad. I had another one exactly like it laying around and I soldered that one in. Put it back together and it works but not much air flow. I know the motor was fast, I tested it.... but when I tried the hovercraft out and it won't move with props blowing in the back. The motor doesn't seem to perform as well now that it's in the hovercraft. Here's a youtube of the exact one, but it's not my video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AquiMfT1nIk

It also had another problem, the circuit board. One compenent was right next to the plastic housing and it got hot and melted the plastic a bit. Wonder if that could also be part of it's problem?

Anyone have one or know much about them?

TIA,
Skitt
Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
dude7422

Default RE: Hovercraft from Kohls:

looks like fun ya for about the first ten min. put down the toys and get one of these
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33092.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1165290  
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
skitt

I know it's a helicopter, but do not know what kind? Got some more info?

Skitt
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the motor you put in may be the same size, but if it has less turns then it wont have the torque to spin the prop fast enough.
or, the motor you put in has many more turns than the stock motor, so it doesnt spin fast enough.
either way, to many or to few turns and it wont spin the prop fast enough.
when it comes to anything with a prop, the motor specs have to work with the type of prop. props with higher pitch require greater torque to push the prop through the air.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
KE4QPF

We have played with several motors of this style in the toy grade subforum. Ask a mod to move this thread in there. Those guys have lots of experience with what you could use.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 AM
skitt

Makes sense......I believe I put the exact one back in there but could not swear to it, it looks identical to me. I had wondered if a mosfet was the real problem since one got hot and was too close to the hull and melted the plastic near it. The mosfets control the current flow and i'm just guessing as whether this one that got hot is now the problem and not the motor

Skitt
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it may be the same "size" motor, but have a different number of winds(the number of times wire is wrapped around) which effects the amount of torque and rmps at a given voltage.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 AM
tommygun32

I don't know too much about hovercrafts or prop engines, but could it possibly be different voltage requirements? Maybe the engine you're running in there is also causing the heating because the voltage is incorrect? Just a thought....[&:]
Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
skitt

The windings could be different, I don't know....I'll try comparing the old motor with the new one. There is no number to be seen on the mosfet.

Skitt