Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Heli Soaring

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heli Soaring

Ifirst heard about heli soring over on RR a couple of years ago but never really thought I would try it for real until a few weeks ago. Over the last couple of months I`ve been trawling through the web in search for any further info on the art of heli soaring, (and stumbled across this site today) but I think I`ve found all the sites there are on the web , on the subject. Half a dozen forum threads and a couple of pictures. I`ve started a few threads of my own in the hope of drawing in some interest and hopefully more knowledge but hit a blank. There are only a handful of guys worldwide who`ve tried heli soaring but don`t have much info on it. So I aim to change that. I`m getting in some practice on Reflex, (now that I have downloaded the new Vista update on my laptop.) and have some captured simtime which I`ve uploaded to YouTube for all to see.

My next task is to find a suitable site to try this out for real using my Raptor Titan and pick a day when the conditions are right.

I plan on using my heli as is for the initial trials. I.e. with the engine in and running for take off , bail outs and landing. For the soaring part, I`ll flick it into idle.

I`ll be logging anything I think will be relevant like heli weight, blade make and size, wind speed and so on. I`ll have someone handy to video it all and if all goes well, I`m going to build a web site and publish my results. I`ll get a forum going and add new info as it unfolds. Stuff like how to launch without an engine.

If anyone here has an interest in heli soaring or has any info or vids and pics, please post here. I`ve searched the web already and there is not much out there regarding heli soaring but please let me know anyway just incase I missed something.
    Cheers
    Luke
    Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase head wind, unless you`re HELI SOARING

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Heli Soaring

I tried heli soaring on Realflight 3.5. One of the fields is perfect for soaring and the heli makes the
    perfect item. I 've been thinking about trying it also but I need to find someplace that will allow enough
    wind through the rotors.

I am also have engine issues on my heli so my search has been delayed a little while until I can get
    the clutch replaced and then find out why the engine will not run that well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

James,
    What are the problems with th e engine?

I have an OS 50 Hyper and rarely have problems with it but when I do, I usually refer to these web sites.

http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/nitro...f/leanrich.htm

http://www.*********.org/cars_troubleshooting.htm

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase head wind, unless you`re HELI SOARING

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has a YS ST91. It has been running on Magnum 30% heli fuel.

It normally runs like a swiss watch. I was first leaning toward glow plug but we changed that. I also thought it might be
    fuel related but that was ruled out as well. It seams to die when the ignitor power is turned off. I am thinking about replacing
    the glow plug again. I also wondering if I am loosing compression somewhere which is throwing off the compression ratio.
    I've thought about sticking it in a test stand and starting it up. I can't apply power to it but I can at least see if the motor will
    stay running for anyting longer than about 10 to 15 seconds.

Someone told me when I first started flying helicopters that some people were heli soaring off of damns. This wasn't a local
    thing but you would have a better chance with the vertical updraft off the front of the damn wall.