Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

emergency Parachute safety system

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

emergency Parachute safety system

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:13 PM
divelife20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emergency Parachute safety system

Hey everyone! just a background on my plane... I fly a Super Cub LP with float attachments. I mostly fly at the beach. When I fly at the beach I stand hereand I land here. ***When opening the links, you have to hit the "search maps" button to go to the place I am referring***

I try not to fly it over the ocean too much because if i mess up there I can kiss my plane goodbye. I've already crash landed into the water twice (I know pretty embarrassing :P) and each time I crash land it usually means a new receiver, esc, and depending on the crash, it could involve a new motor of servos (i haven't had to replace those two yet). Both of my major crashes where caused by my losing control at a high altitude, and not being able to recover (usually a very strong gust of wind).

I really do not want another costly crash, and I think it might be more cost effective to have an emergency parachute safety system. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Super Cub LP, it has an x-port that you can use to rig an aerial drop module and control it from your radio controller. I plan to use the aerial drop module (on the bottom of the plane) to deploy a pilot shoot when I push the button, which will release the main chute (36" diameter) on the top above the wings. Although, I am not entirely sure if this will work, or if it is even a good idea or not. So I am posting this idea because I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for your help,
Joel

Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Default RE: emergency Parachute safety system

You may get a tangle that way
Better would be to make a hatch with a inner box on top of fusz just behind wing and hinge to the rear - now juust get a 36 or so chute and fix to somewhere in side through the box and to pack get a spring something like a old fashioned bed spring but smaller and attach inside to bottom of box and on top of spring ad a loose fitting panal of thin ply or whatever and pack chute on top and close door with some kind of servo control latch and then when in trouble cut motor flip switch and out pops chute , problem solved - shouldnt be hard for a builder to figer thgis out - Good lick and pm me on how its going or and help
Don
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
divelife20

Thanks a lot for the feedback... I am still going to use the xport because the radio controller i have only has 4 channels (throttle, rudder, elevator, x port) but i'll figure out how to move it to the top. Moving the x port shouldn't be hard at all, and I would rather use that then have a spring deployed parachute, because I am not very good at modifying my plane and using the x-port would involve less modifying of the plane than a spring system.

As for now, I have to wait to do too much work because I need a new receiver/ esc and battery before I can fly again (I have them ordered but they haven't arrived yet)
Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Lnewqban

Just one idea:

Dethermalizers have been used in Free Flight in order to prevent models from fly-aways, making then descend slowly and horizontally.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=256

http://www.machinery-dig.org/doc/714...or-Parachutes/

http://www.apogeerockets.com/educati...wsletter04.pdf

Regards!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 PM
divelife20

I think the dethermalizer idea is great idea, but depending on the direction of my plane, it may slow it down and stabalize in the direction of the ocean and that would be worse be even worse than crashing into the lake.

Based on what has been said, I think I will rig the aerial drop module directly above the wing with a pilot chute. Then I will just hit the x port button and it will release the pilot chute. Then the pilot chute will be connected to pin holding closed a spring loaded parachute box in the fuselage. The pilot chute will have just enough line to pull the pin before it hits the tail, and the main chute will be launched out of the fuse.

What do you guys think of the new revised method?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, you are probably thinking along the lines of the rocket deployed parachute that they install in light full size planes. There is a lot of engineering behind it and not worth trying if you don't do the physics - you need to size the chute according to weight, speed at deployment, chute shape, amount of chords, spill hole size, type of material like sky divers do. If the chute is too small, or wrong shape it will just slow the plane down to stall speed and will fall (drop) down like a rock. If the chute is too big, it will most likely rip the anchor point out/plane apart if deployed - talk to some skydivers on this topic. You would need a pretty large chute and you may not be able to deploy it if you got radio interference.

If you have good radio gear, the plane is well build and in good trim, the batteries fully charged, is on an approved frequency with frequency control and use good fuel, you don't need a chute in the first place.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM
rcbif

If there are guest of wind strong enough to be making you loose control you should not be flying. The cub should not be flown in winds over 8mph by a beginner. You just need to get better at flying under normal operating conditions. Trust me, once you learn to fly better, it's almost impossible to crash the cub, I have one. All the time and money that it will take you to make a recovery system ( although cool) could be spend practicing flying your cub or a sim. (such as Esky(a cheap but effective sim found on ebay)).
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
You will make things very complicated for yourself with parachutes and other gadgets. Make sure you Cub it well set up and balanced, that he control surface movements are correct as per manual, that your transmitter and receiver/batrery is in good condition and fully charged. I'm flying for 38 years and have 18 planes, including a Cub - I never had any of these problems.

A rule of thumb to size your parachute for your plane. To drop 1000 gram (2.2 lb) of weight (aeroplane) in a slow, controlled way you need at least 3 square meter parachute. Anything less and parachute will reduce the speed, the plane will stop flying and fall and crash.

1. This extra weight may overload your plane and make it impossible to fly, especially if it is <3kg plane weight.

2. The 3 sq m of parachute material is bulky, it most likely won't fit inside the plane, if you carry it in a pod on the outside of the plane, it causes drag and will make the plane very difficult to fly.

Rather make sure your equipment is in good condition and properly set up. THe parachute story will not work and will make people laugh when the too small chute deploys and the plane crashes to the ground - or get blown away in the wind - either way they will laught at you. Keep things simple.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM
urs856

hi!
i have a cub LP with floats, with dx8 radio and 480 motor in it. no problem with the winds not more than 10 mph and radio signal at high altitude but below 400 ft. no crashes and its fun.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 AM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you have a lot of money in the air, like a 50 cc plane which in my country costs several monthly salaries you start thinking what can bring down safely a falling object from the sky. And we all know that the parachute can. You can have the best 2000 $ radio, servos, best gas, engine, 2-3 rx and individ. batts, etc if one stab or wing breaks as shown in many youtube vids, and we talk about several thousands of dollars planes, then you can only wish that you had a parachute in it, as you watch it going towards the ground. Which is the only saving method in this scenario.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had quite a bit of experience with parachute-recovery systems on models.

My advice is, "Don't do it."

They are heavy, bulky and notoriously unreliable. You are as likely to wreck your plane as you are to save it from harm.

Even if your chute works, your model is going to be dragged to its death once it is on the ground ... if there is any significant wind blowing.

I expect you'll try it, anyway ....
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey everyone! just a background on my plane... I fly a Super Cub LP with float attachments. I mostly fly at the beach. When I fly at the beach I stand hereand I land here. ***When opening the links, you have to hit the "search maps" button to go to the place I am referring***

I try not to fly it over the ocean too much because if i mess up there I can kiss my plane goodbye. I've already crash landed into the water twice (I know pretty embarrassing :P) and each time I crash land it usually means a new receiver, esc, and depending on the crash, it could involve a new motor of servos (i haven't had to replace those two yet). Both of my major crashes where caused by my losing control at a high altitude, and not being able to recover (usually a very strong gust of wind).

I really do not want another costly crash, and I think it might be more cost effective to have an emergency parachute safety system. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Super Cub LP, it has an x-port that you can use to rig an aerial drop module and control it from your radio controller. I plan to use the aerial drop module (on the bottom of the plane) to deploy a pilot shoot when I push the button, which will release the main chute (36" diameter) on the top above the wings. Although, I am not entirely sure if this will work, or if it is even a good idea or not. So I am posting this idea because I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thanks for your help,
Joel

Here is a link to the thread in which at post 12 I've presented my own project of a home made parachute recovery system in a 8 kg gas plane which was tested on the ground.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...l#post11961259

My post is an answer to the person who started this thread and to those that, like me decided that for them it's worth making this project and carrying the extra weight. I've read all the threads about this and I'm aware about the scepticism. I'm not asking here anybody if it can be done or if it's worth doing it. I'm presenting it all done and working, I've made my decision if it's worth or not for me when I started building it. Maybe if I also had 10 gas planes I wouldn't bother on anything else than flying them. I'm addressing and want to inspire those that are interested. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534_resize.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	2063724   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00236.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	2063725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547_resize.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2063726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546_resize.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2063727  

Last edited by jak_kkaall; 01-15-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by divelife20

Thanks for your help,
Joel

http://www.aerialtechnology.com/shop...very-system-2/