Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Airspeed AS 31

Old 08-07-2005, 11:29 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airspeed AS 31

Hello; My friend Bill Bond would like to build one of these unusual planes, I understand that no one actually built a full scale AS 31, but Bill is a super builder, and I think if anyone can make it work, Bill can.

If there is anything out there that Bill can use to diminish the trial and error process, and bring him to an early success? Anything would help. Bill doesn't have a computer, so I volunteered to find all I can for him.

Thanking you in advance.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:45 PM
expat flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airspeed AS 31

Two years late, but if you are still looking try this link.

http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmod.../as31/as31.htm

Jerry
Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Well thanks for the help, Here we are 5 years later and I will attach some pics for all you doubters out there

It only flew twice, then the engine was needed somewhere else. It did fly though, as the pix show.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33401.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1228869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81945.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1228870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43864.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1228871  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; What a surprise! Bill Bond called me up and told me to not go to the lake by motorcycle yesterday, as he had something for me to take home. It was his Airspeed AS 31. He said that he needed to ckean out his gaqrage/airplane factory, and I was the best candidate for the AS 31. It has a channel 59 crystal in it, so I will have to find a tx crystal on that channel or else put a rx of my own in it. It comes complete with a GWS 46, but he built everything into the fuselage then closed it all off with the firewall which is held on with epoxy, so I might have to cut a hatch in it to get it going.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; Thursday evening I took the Airspeed out to our field all charged up, I had a tough time getting the GMS 47 running reliably, it seemed when I fueled it up that fuel was running out the exhaust about as fast as I could pump it in. After lots of stick twiddling Me and Mike got itrunning with enough power and a sort of' low idle, so we walked ot out and advanced the throttle. As soon as the wheels left the ground the engine sagged, so I let it back down and the engine cleared and revved up again, so I let it rise slowly while gaining ground speed. After I had it 6 feet high, I felt that I'd better turn soon. I turned it left with the rudder, as it seemed close to the trees at the end of our field. I turned gracefully and was coming towards us when the engine quit

I was only 50 feet high, but I managed to get her lined up for a down wind landing, just about over the end of the runway when at about 5 foot altitude, it just stoped flying and crunched down tail first.

I walked out to pick it up. It was in one piece but both pylons were broken in two places.

I'm thinkiong that I'll replace the pylons with aluminum spars cut from an old lawn chair.

I realise that I stalled it, but first flight, I couldn't have known to expect that the tail would just fall on the stall. Never seen that before.

I'll fix her up and keep her scale, she'll fly again.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Here's the latest progress report; I found an old roof rack that had 4 long enough aluminum pieces that I intend to bolt up. Bill used an unreliable (for me) GMS 47, so I am eager to replace that with a 4 stroke maybe a Saito 65. I can adjust the balance point by the length of the booms. I'll glue plywood plates into the horizontal stab and the wing trailing edge. A good after christmas project. I had to empty out my airplane factory to accomodate christmas time visitors.

Oh , by the way Merry Christmas Everybody!