Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flying thing????

I'm sure I'm not crazy but I can't think of the right words to search to find what I'm looking for... Its a VTOL free flight aircraft, an engine mounted level with the ground on one end of a 'wing', when the engine runs the wing rotates like a helicopter blade and rises till the engine dies, then autorotates back to the ground.....What am I looking for? Thanks
    Keep the roundy thingys on the runway...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flying thing????

An auto gyro or gyrocopter...... Although it's not VTOL.
    An out of tune engine is like an ugly woman....you just end up with a dead stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it is not a VTOL, it is indeed very cool and interesting, there seem to be a little fad with those, but havent seen much about them in the last couple of years.
    They may not be VTOL but they are very high lift designs if i recal, realy cant beat the cool factor.
    gyrocopter indeed
    Function over fashion, I dont do shelf queens!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rabraaten isn't talking about a gyrocopter

It's a monocopter and is designed similar to a maple seed. Evan Ulrich of University of Maryland built one

Robotic Samara

-Dave
    Helicopter: Closest fulfillment of the flying horse and magic carpet. Igor Sikorsky
    Royal EVO9 TX/F40,HBFP,Trex450Sport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Dave... Thats exactly what I was thinking about... Weird and wonderful. I'm not much of a heli fan but there's definately something strangely enticing about playing around with one of those... I'm kind of curious about how lateral movement is controllable with something like that... Any idea?
    Keep the roundy thingys on the runway...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rabraaten

Thanks Dave... Thats exactly what I was thinking about... Weird and wonderful. I'm not much of a heli fan but there's definately something strangely enticing about playing around with one of those... I'm kind of curious about how lateral movement is controllable with something like that... Any idea?
    Very weird, I love it!

I don't think they know yet. In the papers that I flipped through, they are controlling altitude by either changing the pitch of the wing, or the rpm of the motor. I would image the next step would be difficult. You would need to know where you wanted to go, and where you where in your "rotation" so that you can change the pitch of the wing (kinda like the helis swash plate).

-Dave
    Helicopter: Closest fulfillment of the flying horse and magic carpet. Igor Sikorsky
    Royal EVO9 TX/F40,HBFP,Trex450Sport