Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

RC elec Rockets

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM
rich64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC elec Rockets

Are there any elec RC rockets ? I was thinking of getting into model rocketry, but I would like to have one that uses a ducted fan. How can I learn about building one ?
I'd like to build a scale Saturn rocket out of foam and attach four ducted fans. How would something like that be stablized in flight ?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: RC elec Rockets

Its an interesting idea, I am not sure if its been done, but I imagine someone has tried it.

It would have to be much slower off the pad compared to a solid rocket motor. Be fun to watch the experimental flights!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 AM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know rockets so much but i do know rc plane\heli's

if u want a rocket\veichel to be lifted vertically with 4 ducted fans u'll beed a unique device to stabilize your aircraft
this device call a gyro, u;ll ne more than one in your case and i think this will be hard to do..well not hard but complicated...

imagine that u have 2 controll 4 engines at once togather with you controll surfaces wich will be - ia ssume - the 4 fins of the rocket which will be responsable for the vertical stabilization and for rotate\yaw

no up /down as the rocket do not have any lift if flying vertically->strait line - it should fly very fast to keep it starit and horizental->a speed that i find it hard to belive u'll achive.

there are some rc models that take of verticaly , they are very very lite!! due to nature of their flight pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgtMFX3ATo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozsnN...eature=related

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347459

now that i'm thinking more deeply on the matter, i think that u can use 2 elec motors and to fins\rudders for control which will more easy to setup.

anyway - i hope u will be sucssesfull with this chalenging project
keep us posted

Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 AM
gadix

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some more info from the web

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-plans-Instruc...item56368fa66b

this can give u a good grasp on the matter:http://www.rc-fever.com/walkera-ufo-...FQ0TzAodo03p5w

Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
rich64

I'm thinking of starting out using one motor and ducted fan to begin with and use servo's or a gyro to gimble the fan like in a real rocket also I would need movable fins to help stablize it and help it land( control how bad it crashes into the ground). Or install a parachute that can be deployed on landing. I'll get with my LHS guy and see what he xomes up with.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
jonny_hthwy

I built an estes Saturn 5 many years ago. It took and good amount of thrust to get it going (as amatuer rocket engines go), and went about 200 feet up. It landed in 2 pieces with chutes on both halves. I would think the fins on a rocket would be enough to keep it going straight (up) if the rocket was balanced correctly. I think it would be easier and more efective to have the fins move than to try to vector 4 seperate engines. Jonathan
Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I imagine the torque issue will be tough to solve with one motor? Unless you want it to turn like a screw all the way up.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

The torque of the motor would help with stability. The rocket would spin just like a rifle bullet.

You shouldn't need any servos or gyros for stability, as long as you have a tall enough guide rod to ensure your rocket was going straight up for long enough to build up enough speed for the fins to keep it going straight.

What is your intention with this? For it to go up and deploy a chute like a solid fuel rocket? Or, something else?