Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A new beginning...

Hello all, Been a little while since i started a new project, a few may rember my RC snowcat into park bully, Art attack mods, i also have a few threads going on RCcrawler.com forums, micro RC speed boat projects etc.
    This project is a big one for me, and a tad secretive as i wont be saying exactly what it is right off as untill it becomes very obvious ill leave a little guessing.
    I added a mill/lathe machine to my garage a few years ago, opening up my custom RC options bigtime. and with this project for the first time ill be having parts made for me, those well be the fine touch on all of this.
    not working at the moment so minimal funding well be a bummer and well slow things down, actually has been slowing this project down as its been getting drawn out for a year now, but with time comes much needed refinement.
    im also giving my self a goal of 1 years time to be done flat out. as without goals alot of great projects wonder on forever, my nitro blizzard into park bully comes to mind.... lol
    and a billion other great RC projects.

onto a few pics

Function over fashion, I dont do shelf queens!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: A new beginning...

What you see is 4 plastic A arms, The black one is the Balsa blank, a little off to the right of that is the paper pattern, also the silicone rubber mold, and 2 simple shock brackets.
    Although my mill is very nice for very even, professional looking parts, turning out 4 a-arms like this out of alum would have taken hours, even cutting them out of plastic stock would have turned up expensive and still costly, since i prefer plastic parts ( my original Tmaxx and original savages are all stock plastic and sturdy ) i was researching making a homemade plastic injection machine, but after further research i came across molding parts with silicone rubber as a far safer, cheaper, simpler and faster solution.
    This plastic im using is allmost as strong as the nylons in our RC cars, the one im using also has good impact resistance.
    another nice thing about these plastics are being machineable, and casting a block or stock of this is still half the price of ordering mcmaster plastic stock before shipping prices, i can also mill out alum molds so im not restricted just to silicone rubber, vast options. www.smooth-on.com for those interested.
    these are the first of a few more plastic parts to come.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A verbal update...
    I think at this point im nearly 100% done in design, ive gone through a few re-designs over the last year and it can get frustrating when a small detail can change many others.
    But now im downright done with demensions just a little tweaking as its being built and tested, im also about finished sourcing parts and knowing who is going to make what for me.
    the parts sourcing is made easy by mcmaster, i used to live near a hardware store that stocked nearly every bolt/nut and screw known to man... im realy going to miss mcfadden-dale hardware, but as long as i can virtually browse and order im still good.
    one problem i ran into of sorts was finding a D profile shaft, virtually the smallest i can find anywhere is 3/8, 1/4 should be fine but i dont want to swing all that extra weight.
    ironicly allthough no D profile shafts, keyed shafts are common at 1/4.
    i have yet to ever see a keyed shaft in our world of RC but i know there is a desire for it, those of us bolting 1/8 brushless systems into anything realise the limited potential of the set screw, problem i run into is everything made for that has to be broached, more out of house work and more money.
    i dont think i can pull it off on my 1ton arbor press, so thats still up for grabs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Lorduss I can make a D profile shaft for you all I need to know is the dimensions of what you need.
    As for the other thing we talked about if you can scan the print and email them to me I can see what I can do for you.