Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

rc land speed record JET Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

rc land speed record JET Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:19 PM
e-maxxcrawl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc land speed record JET Engine

if i can get the fuding i am planing on machining a fullylunctional jet car like the one seen here [link=http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/108230.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.strangedangers.com/content/item/108230.html&h=321&w=510&sz=42&tbnid=ydibFZepGDPeVM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=128&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djet%2Bland%2Bspeed%26svnum%3D10%26hl% 3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN]click here[/link] with a [link=http://www.jetcatusa.com/p70.html]jet cat[/link] engine. i have the machineing skill's and the tools, is it fesable?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: rc land speed record JET Engine

If you have the skills and tools then sure it's feasible, but probably not practical. You'd end up with a very fast car that would go in a straight line. It wouldn't have very fast acceleration which means you would need a very long straight and smooth surface to run it on. I would think that you'd lose sight of it quickly. If you're trying to set an RC land speed record - then go for it. If you want to build a car that's fun to drive, I think it's limitations would cause you to become bored with it quickly. That said, if you do build it, post lots of pictures. I'd love to see it.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking the same thing....certainly it is possible to build such a car. The
problem comes in about 10 seconds after "you give it the gas", and you can
no longer see the car.

Just like a plane....if you can't see it....you can't fly (drive) it.

FBD.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:21 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GO FOR IT........just don't forget to take some video!![>:]
Old 12-17-2005, 05:20 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Crawl:

Let's see. I don't know if there is an official LSR for r/c cars, but one of the RCU moderators has been working for a couple years on a wheel driven attempt. Also, as the tether cars have gotten up around 200 mph anything less would get horse laughs. Should shoot for at least 300 mph.

Expenses? The car is the least of them. There's the trip to the salt flats, paying for someone to set up clocks, and paying an official observer from FIA or else it will be an unofficial record. The most expensive part will be renting a chase plane to sit in while operating the car. Can't be just any plane, it has to keep up with the car too. That means the plane will have to be capable of sustained 300 mph speeds also. Not many in general use will do that. Finally, there's finding a pilot who will drive the chase plane at 300 mph 50' off the ground. Not many are that foolish.

Just some thoughts.

Bill.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:46 PM
rcbif

unless it would have a wireless cam too it would be pointless. not to mention the space needed
Old 12-17-2005, 06:36 PM
e-maxxcrawl

how fast do those engines spool up? couldint i run a belt system like they do in the helicopters?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:41 PM
William Robison

[b]Crawl:

40K idle to 100K at full power, a second or a little more. And there's really no practical way to add a belt drive. Shaft speed is just too high.

If you want wheel drive go to airworld-usa.com and look at their turboprop engine.

Bill.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: William Robison

40K idle to 100K at full power, a second or a little more. And there's really no practical way to add a belt drive. Shaft speed is just too high.
guess you better tell these guys their hp-5 heli turbine (with a belt) won't fly... (clutch->belt->gear in this setup)
http://www.jetcatusa.com/hp5.html

if you want absolute speed, go pure jet. having a driven system like this turbine adds many more sources of drag and extra complications.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:02 PM
William Robison

crater:

They aren't using a pure turbojet in the helicopters. If you will recheck you'll see I did mention turboprop engines.

Bill.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 PM
e-maxxcrawl

i was looking at gas engine but to much weight for the power you get. Do you think there is anyone anywhere willing to sponser me? those engines arn't cheap!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
btoby

put a cam in the car.
line of sight problem solved.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 PM
rcbif

ORIGINAL: btoby

put a cam in the car.
line of sight problem solved.
cam with that long of a broadcasting range would cost quite a bit. this little project would end up over 1000
Old 12-24-2005, 12:45 PM
quarterscalelegends

been done in the 1/4 scale world for years.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32252.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	375049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64233.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	375050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20808.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	375051  
Old 12-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Strykaas

mmhhh [X(] any vid of this car running ?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:28 PM
e-maxxcrawl

BAD *****! where do you run them? y havent i even seen any of them on the net thats so frekin cool!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 AM
motorbikemikexb9

This project sounds really cool but... a bit unpractical. I think it could be done, but how bad do you want to get it done. I could see this project costing well over 15-20 thousand dollars.

some obstacles to mention:

Where in the world will you find (small R/C size) tires that will be able to turn over 20 thousand rpm without coming apart.

how do you keep salt dust from being ingested into the tiny turbine and wrecking it within the first half hour of testing on the flats.

The FAA has rules i.e. It WILL be hard to find a pilot that will fly 50 off the ground at 300+mph over a limited control rocket screaming away below him. Plus most planes capable of 300+ have high stall speeds around 80-100mph so you will have to hit the line running. turbines produce very little torque so getting up to 80-100 will take some time and you will blow right past the car while your at the line.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 PM
e-maxxcrawl

quarterscalelegends how fast dose your car go?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:40 PM
motorbikemikexb9

OK... what are you getting at. I saw nothing turbine powered over at quarterscalelegends.

what dose it matter how fast my car goes? I have nothing to prove.

ORIGINAL: e-maxxcrawl

quarterscalelegends how fast dose your car go?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:50 PM
e-maxxcrawl

did you not see the pictures he posted? It looks bad*****, but if it goes 3mph ya it be pointless, but at even 80 or 90 to hear that jet engine whould be sweet! I wasnt talking about your car.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

hey man i say go for it and forget the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! craig breedlove,the owner and the driver of the spirit if america land speed car has a model replica of his vehicle that is true to scale.check out his ride at his namesake website where the car also was sold.i have also senn them at ebay for 40 bucks or so. what....why you say? buy the model of a proven full sized design and scale it up to whatever size you need. huh? why yes the panels come off the model to reveal the truss designed tubular chassis,eng mount etc.us it as a template.chase plane,helicopter drive it...put an onboard video downlink and drive it w/virtual glasses.there must be a stadium parking lot or someplace level and true to run it.any deviation,dips etc would certainly prove detrimental to the car and personnel.imagine losing control of a 10 pound jet car at lets say a buck fifty.can you say "got insurance?" be safe. GOGGLES
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Catalinaflyer

ORIGINAL: motorbikemikexb9

The FAA has rules i.e. It WILL be hard to find a pilot that will fly 50 off the ground at 300+mph over a limited control rocket screaming away below him. Plus most planes capable of 300+ have high stall speeds around 80-100mph so you will have to hit the line running. turbines produce very little torque so getting up to 80-100 will take some time and you will blow right past the car while your at the line.
I have a Questair Venture that is capable of well over 300mph and I have flown it several hundred times 50' off the deck at over 300. As for the FAA, it's a matter of filing the appropiate paperwork then hauling butt chasing the car.

Maxx, if you get the whole thing put together then e-mail me and I'll bring the plane to either Blackrock (first choice) or Bonneville (second choice) and provide you with a driving platform.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 AM
paulhenley

hi all

i am fairly new on this site but looove it !

just my thoughts ....

if you are going to use an airplane engine to get speed then would it not be worth looking at what speeds aeroplane glow engines can reach ...

a Weston magnum can reach 200+ mph on a .51/.50 cui engine with a tuned pipe and these have the drag of 2 wings, a tail and fin... also instead of using a turbine you could use a ducted fan engine (less than £100 on ebay for a 90 size...)

another thing is ... instead of having a chase plane etc why not just have several people standing at set points with a radio each and as the car moves on you each take turn with a radio (with communication via walki talki's or mobiles)?

just a few ideas to consider

henley
Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 PM
rctruggy

Hi,

I'm thinking of making my own LSR car. I have bought a die-cast model of the Spirit of America (1963) to measure from. Biggest problem I think I have is buying (can't find them) or making high speed wheels. They need to be appr. 15cm (6 inch) in diameter.

Did you (or somebody else) start building it? If so, did you make the wheels yourself?

Does anybody have pictures of the front wheel suspension?

I think I need a turbo jet engine with at least 165N of thrust, my aim is to go faster than 100m/s.

Leo
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
rickster3057

Hey E-maxxcrawl, that guy offering the ride in the chase plane ,now that is one cool dude, top man take him up on his offer, as for the thrust project ,JUST GO FOR IT......
If you build the car ,chassis and all the extra,s and contact AMT jets of the netherlands with your idea, just for advertising alone they would probably give you a jet turbine.The boss Benny is a really nice bloke spoke to him about a jet pack project of mine.
As for the wheels, lathe them up from solid aircraft aluminium rod with no rubber treads just like the real car.
AMT do a jet that produces 45lb of thrust at 300,000 rpm add an afterburner,:the guys at GTBR a jet turbine club make them,: and you have almost double the thrust on the startline.
As for timing fees, go to bonnervile when they are doing speed attemps and the lights and officials will be there all you do is pay your entry fee.
I am sure if we all donate $10 or $20 bucks each and ask the modeartor to help you would have your money realy fast, wadaya say guys?????
Rick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.