Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Birel Racing Go Kart. (Brake mods??)

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Kyosho Birel Racing Go Kart. (Brake mods??)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Remote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Birel Racing Go Kart. (Brake mods??)

Picked up the Kyosho Birel Kart. From what I have been reading, the rear brakes on this kart are VERY poor. Has anybody modified the karts brakes to get better braking out of it? If so, what did you do?
Thanks......
Old 03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kyosho Birel Racing Go Kart. (Brake mods??)

I believe it is not really the brakes but the small diameter wheels in the rear. For brakes to be effective you need a reasonable sized wheel.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Lorduss

any chance you could show us a pic of this? some of us can come up with ideas,
i rember the go kart racer very well, just never had one, allways thought they were cool
there should be a solution to this
Old 04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Remote

Here is a pic of the SINGLE little disk brake. Not much as you can see. Maybe if there was one on each side that would help a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18335.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1413151  
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 AM
controlliner

Like I said, The small wheels make the difference. (Small wheels, small brake disc). If you installed a larger brake disc, the wheels would lock up when you apply the brakes.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Lorduss

the wheel size realy does not matter as much, unless it was locking and skipping slightly a larger wheel could fix that but we dont need to get into that.
There is an obvious lack of brakeing power here, and it shares the same problem the original t maxx, original savage and other popular RC cars have had.
Have you tryed a slightly higher torq throttle/brake servo? and it probbly would not hurt to mess around with the leverage to from the servo to the brake also.
there is not alot of detail in that pic, hard to tell if you could do a 2nd disk break in there, if you can that would be a great fix, and allmost instant you would have the added friction area, you could also try changing break pad material if there is any option. basicly you need eather more force against the brake, or more friction area from the same amount of force applied. eather one you should see decent improvement.

the more i look at the mini pic, it seems your brake disk is setup differently than the maxx/savage, i would try the servo first, if you have a high torq steering servo laying around i would say try that, or even a servo in the 40$ range that would be a steering upgrade for most RC cars would probbly work.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Remote

Lorduss,
Thanks for the reply. I'll check into the servo suggestion, I'll also check into maybe using a different brake pad material. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 AM
daradine

Hey There! I have the same problem with mine. The brakes are hopeless. The brake pad material can not be changed as there are no brake pads! It is simply a carbon fibre brake disk with a metal cam that has very little surface area to push against it. There is also a small L shaped steel bracket that they call a "Brake Pad" that contacts the disk on the oppisite side of the cam. My only thought is to make another larger "Brake Pad" that would increase the surface area contacting the disk? Has anybody tried a metal brake disk from another vehicle? I would be keen to know what other vehicle has a disk that will fit so I can give it a crack?

Cheers
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I stop my big-***** 1/4-scale sprint car with a simple band around the clutch housing. One end is fixed to the chassis, the other is hooked to the backside of the throttle servo. Band is lined with clutch lining.

Maybe you could mod yours? I have one of their early karts, might be V2. Lots of fun, but then I rarely brake!

Ed
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 AM
pepeC

hi, i had the same problem with the breaks and recently changed them.

This was all in all a very easy mod. The Mugen MBX6 Breaks will fit with just some minor changes....

more pics at my blog: [link=http://www.rcstuff.de]www.rcstuff.de[/link]

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
yuki888
My Feedback: (3)

these are really nice cars as i have driven the real thing for 14 years now. cant wait to get me one!
BTW- what foam tires are those?