Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Need links/info/suggestions about differential

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Need links/info/suggestions about differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
tigrotto1a6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need links/info/suggestions about differential

Hi!
I received a gift from some friends, it is a 1:6th scale static model that I want to make RC.
It is a kettenkrad (semi tracked WWII motorcycle) and in my intentions I want to save as much details as I can while making it RC.
The space avaiable is not too much, the weight is a little bit over than a kyosho blizzard (I have a nitro blizzard), I think less than 10 kilos.
I compared it with the blizzard because I want to use the same steering method as on the blizzard (using brakes and differential) but the brake servo can be disabled to use the front wheel to steer on normal ground.
I'm searching over the net for a dirrefential sufficiently strong for the model, it will be EP, and will need a geared reduction from motor to the sprockets.
I've tried to measure the blizzard differential plus the brakes, but it is too large for this model. I think that it is however sufficiently strong for it, the nitro blizzard stresses a lot the differential as far as I can see.
The maximum avaiable space for the differential is about 3.8 centimeters, but the big problem is that the sprocket axis that is at 1.6cm from the front wall.
How can I solve this?
What do you suggest to use as differential, motor and reduction? Brakes?

I'm a beginner with the self made conversions, I have ideas, but cannot find the needed parts to use on it.
If you have links, suggestions, info about what can I use to make it working, you are welcome!

I have also a 1:6th tank (wip is on the tank forum section) but it uses the simplest 2 motor transmission, one per track, but for halftracked vehicles I think is better a differential, better if it can be also locked if used on the mud.
Here the pictures:

And the measures of the avaiable space for sprocket transmission:

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
PS: I posted here because the system I want to make is more similar to a kyosho blizzard than a normal tank. In this forum section I think I can find more people interested on this kind of project.... And... It is not a tank, it is not a bike, it is not a tractor, but it is all of them

PS2: Sorry for my bad english!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Need links/info/suggestions about differential

I know nothing about this, but i like to see you to get figured it out. Post pic's as you go i like to see how it comes out.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
tigrotto1a6

Hi!
Thanks! I'll post as much pictures as I can about it, but I must solve this problem before starting the other things.
The biggest problem is that there are no measures on commecial parts (as they are often replacement parts), so it is hard to find something useful. Also on my local shop I haven't found help (not a big store). Internet is the only way I think that could help me, and this is the best place to ask for assistance. Hope that someone will help!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=835
top axle is 1/5 scale RC car
bottom is 1/10
sight sells both of them, one may be pretty close to what your looking for, they are tuff and built for RC crawlers
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
tigrotto1a6

Hi! Thanks for the link, i'll check also other products, do you have measures of one of them? I think that 1:5 model is too big, and the 1:10 may be large for my usage, but as I'm not sure, if someone knows the dimensions, it can be better. If noone, I'll try to ask to the rockcrawling.com staff if they can help.
Agai, thanks for the link!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
tigrotto1a6

Interesting differentials:
http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=925
http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=764
http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=721
http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=908
http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...oducts_id=1076

But there are others, over an hundred of items, I chosen few to discuss here, they are the smallest I've seen, however I must cut the case on each side of the wheel axle to let me insert also the brakes.
The links contains a geared (60:1) transmission uncentered, it can solve the space problems.
A locking differential and some small ones.
What do you think about the strenght of them on a 10kgs model used off road?