Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

rc snowmobile

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:12 PM
z400riderr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc snowmobile

hey, i got the rcarctic cat m7 snowmobilemodel thats allmoded. has all the hobby grade electronics for more power/torque, but it doesnt have much top speed cause of the stock gearing. if you know how these sleds are set up, let me know if you got any ideas to get more top speed out of it.

thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21504.jpg
Views:	4818
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1321580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18894.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1321581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71228.jpg
Views:	4141
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1321582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12429.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1321583  
Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rc snowmobile

do you know what turn motor that is? defintly brushed.
you may be able to put on a larger pinion, but you have to look at your heat build up to see if you have room to gear up for more speed.
but this depends alot on your motor, you may just need to start with a bigger motor first.
let us know how many turns, and what esc you have.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
z400riderr

its a hpi racing 27turn motor with a traxxas xl-1 "forward/reverse" also i have the esc adjusted correct but the reverse nor the break will work. it just spins the motor forward. i was thinking the escit wasnt recognizing the hpi motor. for it to fully operate, do you think that could be why it wont break and back up??
Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Lorduss

Your not getting reverse because your ESC is not properly setup to your controller, has nothing to do with the motor.
Motor-esc mismatch is when your motor draws to much current and burns up your ESC
to fix this, there should be a in the instructions for your ESC called setup, something like holding a button, getting a certin flash of light, pulling the trigger etc. read the instructions and fallow them, ask if you still run into troubles.
you have a stock RC car motor in a huge RC snowmobile, thats why its slow. on top of this, snow it self is very restricting, kinda like running a RC car into the grass, on pavement its crazy fast, a little grass can slow it way down, snow has a worse effect and typically needs more power to overcome it.
that same motor in a RC car allmost half that size is still slow, by RC standards.
When you feel like upgrading, and im talking 300+ bucks here to
a 1/8th brushless system would be overkill on some respects, but proper to the size of that RC sled. did that motor come out of an Emaxx? then its not to bad, at least ifso its ment for torq, i cant think of what else would come with that motor setup you have.
but i dont advise upgrading untill you know a little more about RC, this hobby can get expensive and its easy to blow stuff up figuring it all out.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
z400riderr

the motor moves the sled fine in fact I've all ready blown the tranny apart with the torque that itputs out.so motor size is not an issue I'm just trying to get it to go in reverse, and have some breaking power. also the xl-1 doesn't have a programing button like you said it did, it has 2adjustable plastic screws and that's it.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Lorduss

Didnt realise it was that old school, newer esc's use a button,
heres something i got off traxxas forums

The XL-1 has two adjustments; the neutral control and the proportional control. Use a small screwdriver to adjust the controls. CAUTION: The adjustment controls will only turn 1/4 turn left or right from center. Do not turn the controls past their stops or they will break. Use a light touch when making adjustments. Controls damaged by overturning them past their stops will not be covered under the warranty.

Adjusting the neutral control
First, set the model on its stand, turn on the transmitter, and plug a fresh battery pack into the speed control. Set the throttle trim on the transmitter to the "0" mark. If the motor is running, gently turn the neutral control right or left until the motor stops running and the L.E.D. is off (neither green or red).

Adjusting the proportional control
After setting the neutral control, move the throttle trigger on the transmitter to full throttle. Now, carefully adjust the proportional control right or left until the motor is running at its fastest speed and there is a strong green light emitted from the L.E.D. If the L.E.D. glows red instead of green, then switch the throttle servo reversing switch on the face of the transmitter.

once you setup netural properly, reverse should work, ifnot the esc may have a problem.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
z400riderr

I've all ready tryed that, but gave it another shot to see if it would do anything, also tryed different remotes/receiver's. didn't work at all but i should try a traxxas motor cause it might not be recognizing the hpi motor. or the esc is junk. ill let you know if i get it to work.,
thanks for the advice.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

the esc is junk. nice sled though
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM
z400riderr

thanks man, i got alot of time into that cat. atleast it goes forward lol.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Lorduss

dont waist your money buying the traxxas motor, brushed motors are brushed motors, they are all the same, so much the same its kinda pathic.
infact there is nothing you can do to a motor to stop it from going in reverse (not logicly anyways) only the ESC is stopping it self from powering the motor in reverse.
hook a batt up to the motor directly, it well run one direction, hook it up the other way, it well run the other direction, thats all the ESC is doing, or in this case not doing.

have you had her in deep snow yet? does the track slip on the gear under heavy power?
nice sled, i do like the white shell, kind of a snow camo
Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
z400riderr

no haven't tryed it yet in snow, built it mostly during the fall season, the drive cogg on the track slips a little bit under extreme power when i tryed climbing a piece ofply wood,but not as bad as before i made alloy brackets to get more tension out of it. putting in oil filled shocks this week, so should go better and more controllable. i modeled it after a real snowmobile with the white hood/skies, and chopped off the seat to make it look like a water-cross/freestyle sled. ohh yeahdo you know of any other people that make these rc sleds? I've heard of http://www.rcsnowmobiles.com/,and http://artattacksnowmobile.net/that's all i could find out there.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Lorduss

Art attack is the only public maker, RC snowmobiles is trying to make a deal to get his out, has not happened in i think 3-4 years + now.
Art attack has been the exact same sled for 4+ years as well
we are not taken care of in this hobby at all, i look forward to a DECENT snowmobile model in our industry.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
z400riderr

yeah a buddy of mine has an art attack and it goes no where, all it does is justdig holes. my walmart sled is better. lol
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Where can I get an RC snowmobile?!?!?!

To accompany my full scale snowmobile
Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
ArcticCatRider

A real M7 has a much longer track....almost outta the tunnel
Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Lorduss

z400: ive glued rubber tabs on my track, actually if you look at my gallery you can see some of the workd ive done, ive gone to town on this thing. The art attack lacks a chassie, and the drive train is horrible, sprocket and track need to be redesigned. the stock tracks realy lack, basic a double sided timing belt.

arcticcatrider: as were discussing, there is no good option right now, you may want to wait for something good to come out.
The RC sleds that are out are much more like a short track race sled, to scale the art attack is like a 120 ish track or even shorter, my 144 mountain sled is much longer in scale, my dad has a 161, much much longer.
i have actually spent some time mesuring and scaling everything from RC sleds to my real one, seeing the real differences.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
z400riderr

try lookin on ebay.com or craigslist.com for a cheap"rc" sled, if you cant find one on craigslist.com post a wanted ad out there looking for one and you should get a reply. and if your wanting the real looks of the m7 in a toy version this is the closest thing to it, the toy nor the real thing has the track popping outof the tunnel, also m7's aren't really a true mtn sled considering they have a 136" track and most mtn sleds have a 153"++ the biggest I've seen is a 164".
Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
z400riderr

hey man, nicee work onyour art attack sled, and your trackedblizzard, i hate to say it but the art attack models dont lookor performlike a mtn sled.ohh yea interactive toys just came out with the new 2010 polaris rush model, but its a little expensive for what it is.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Lorduss

Thanks, i put alot of work into my snow toys, have allways loved them.
i think i got my art attack looking a little mountainish with my new suspension i put on it, the tunnel to snow clearance is important for even considering deep snow.
if i could get enough power to the snow i could tune the mountain handling, i think placing weight up high like a riders position and turning the other way for layover turns in deep snow would be possable with a RC sled as i can do on my fullsize in 2 feet of powder, i just cant get enough power to enough paddles, even when i add paddles to my art attack eather the belt or drive sprocket is slipping, powder takes power, no joke there.

161 is short by local standards, i see the longest tracks made rolling down the most popular local trail going out to the back bowls, my house normaly well get 3-4 feet dumps every year, our riding area usually gets more at even the lower elevations lol
Old 12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
ArcticCatRider

I guess I will have to wait.

I believe Arctic Cat had a M7 limited edition with a 153, and/or a 162. I think it had a 2" Challenger lug (or paddle for the mountain guys). I agree with you in that 136 is by no means a mountain sled and are pretty much more common on the trails than a 121 or 128.

My uncle out in Colorado lives in the Arapaho National Forest and he rides a 162. It's unreal...I don't do much deep powder riding I ride mostly the groomed trails in the midwest....still prefer a short track as I can corner like hell in the twisties!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Lorduss

I think 136 was the original track offered on the first RMK's, we have evolved much since obviously lol.
I live in the sierra nevada, 3 foot powder days are not uncommon, and thats at my house and mountains go up another 3K feet.
my 144 '2 is a little short for things and i dont see many sleds around here under 160 anymore. but as long as you keep the power and momentum on you can do very well, ii still prefer the shorttrack because of the dirt bike feel and more power can take you where a simply adding a longer track can most of the time. and also hence why i added a 1/8th brushless system to my RC snowmobile, since i cant add a longer track all i can do is add more power and keep her up on top, but more power just completely overloads the tranny design,

actually since you mentioned trail riding, the art attack is not a bad rc trail sled, the rear suspension seems to be quite bouncy and hard to realy get smooth, other than that it would work ok for doing a little trail running, it does not realy have any kind of metal chassie, it well not take the abuse a regular RC truck can, the chassie is all plastic, and after motor and batterys your up to 6 pounds or so, that does not work out well. but if you take it easy and no fast jumps or running into stuff, it would be pretty cool for you.

werid for me i never got into fast trail riding, i can ride a dirt bike like hell down a trail but a sled is just werid as hell to me, i would totaly dig a Sled track with jumps (close one is like 5 hours away) but if im hauling but i dont want to be anywhere near a damn tree! and thats about the only thing i see when i haul on a trail here, so i just get out to the upper mountains or in the powder medows and act stupid, we actually have a dirt bike track here im gonna get my sled to this year, it gets allmost as much snow as my house, so at least for a while some nice clean jumps, no fences at all so im good.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM
z400riderr

yea sleds are sketchy when your halling cause the steering sucks.but like you said on a dirtbike you can fly cause of more control,im the same way.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
bbarror

Hi RC Gang,
Can you help me ID an RC Snowmobile and tell me if it is worth buying a new battery? It's a garage sale special (free) and requires a NICd TC 105 6.0 600mAh which I am told is between $13 and $20. It does work and my kid loves it. Think its an Artic Cat. I can send a pic if need be. Here are the specs:

500 RC Snow Mobile X-Generation by Echo 27 Mhz made in China. It's read with yellow skiis, blue & red check stickers and a rider in a red shirt with a black helmet with yellow stripes and black pants.

Thanks for your thoughts! Barb
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Lorduss

Well if the battery is the only thing wrong with it, then it would be worth buying another cheap battery for, since toys in this hobby are not cheap at all you getting away with 20$ or less for a working toy is probbaly well worth it in my eyes.
You can google that battery if it is correct, there should be several sold and even checking ebay would be worth it, i tryed looking up your snowmobile and cant find it, but there are only a couple of different ones made and im sure yours is probbaly one of those few made, someone else might be able to better answer that exact question.

Allthough this is in the UK, this is one place i just searched and found what seems to be it
[link=http://www.gadgetbatteries.co.uk/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=868]link[/link]http://www.gadgetbatteries.co.uk/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=868
shipping would be expensive overseas, keep checking around im sure you well find one here in the states. shipping from the UK should be more than $20 by it self,
let me know if you still have trouble finding it and ill see what i can do.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
bbarror

Thanks Lordus. Not sure if the model is a Walmart $20 special and cont find it online. Then I should get a charger? Might just need a charger? Can you tell Im a newbie here? Gotta start some place. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Barb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.